Question on new 346xp NE and old 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kansas

The 346xp went throught several different versions since it's introduction in 1998 or 1999.
I have one from 1999 and another made in 2007.
The first one is a screaming machine. The new one is or was a e-tech style, a little slower at max rpms but just as fast in cutting.
The two saws have a different carb, coil, muffler, and gas caps. Maybe more that I have not discovered yet.
I'm planning on taking the first saw and installing a new edition top end on it, along with some porting work too!
I would want to check with Spike before assuming every thing changes over nicely.
The 346xp is a great saw, mine see's lots of use.

You left out the air purge on the NE one, that leads to other differenses in the plastic parts as well + a different top cover, and a different muffler bracket....:cheers: :cheers:

....and the decomp valve that I see no use for, and will never use (I have a plug for it, but probably will put it in the 353, as I have used the decomp valve on that one - no more, I have learned).

Last edited:
You left out the air purge on the NE one, that leads to other differenses in the plastic parts as well + a different top cover, and a different muffler bracket....:cheers: :cheers:

Both of my saws are the old edition.
Some big changes with the new edition too!
When I change my old edition over, I'm only going to do it for the power! 5 cc's is a big difference in saws!

So is it official there is no easy way to take an older 346xp and make it into a new addition? No direct swapping of jugs, cranks, etc?

im pretty sure they increased the crank weight to handle the torque. im sure if im wrong somebody will tell me.

:popcorn:

Both of my saws are the old edition.
Some big changes with the new edition too!
When I change my old edition over, I'm only going to do it for the power! 5 cc's is a big difference in saws!

Yes it is, and it is also the only really important change, as far as I know! :)

Anyway, I would ask Spike about the compatibility of the old carb and crank before doing it........:)

So is it official there is no easy way to take an older 346xp and make it into a new addition? No direct swapping of jugs, cranks, etc?

I believe you can get the power, but it will not be a new edition one - but the power is the main issue, isn't it?

Last edited:
Hi Kansas

The 346xp went throught several different versions since it's introduction in 1998 or 1999.
I have one from 1999 and another made in 2007.
The first one is a screaming machine. The new one is or was a e-tech style, a little slower at max rpms but just as fast in cutting.
The two saws have a different carb, coil, muffler, air filters and gas caps. Maybe more that I have not discovered yet.
I'm planning on taking the first saw and installing a new edition top end on it, along with some porting work too!
I would want to check with Spike before assuming every thing changes over nicely.
The 346xp is a great saw, mine see's lots of use.

Thanks for your insight J.Walker! This is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for and it helps believe me! I remember the old 346's I never had one because they were/are such an expensive trim saw for a weekend warrior like me but man did they ever run impressive chain speed! I always wanted one and now I can finally justify the expense with what I saved just this season.

Famous last words to the wife haha "look honey look what dad bought himself for saving so much money cutting wood cool huh?" :censored:

Thanks guys for the comments as always!!

I'm running it as is

Dump the cat muffler - you will be a happy camper with the 346 NE...

PB and Kansas
I think I'll run mine with the cat muffler (E-tech as well) at least through the warranty period. Seems to be a lot of speculation on the e-tech version being down on power possibly etc. . . so I think I'll use mine as made just to see how she does. I'll keep her in a good state of tune with 93 octane mix and see how she handles or generates heat.
I did however order and received the non-cat muffler from Baileys. So I can convert after the warranty period. Maybe I won't want to -who knows!

Al:cheers:

personally i wouldnt wait. the saw get way to hot and holds far too much heat trapped for me. does not run right IMHO with the CAT. the jetting is impossible to get right with the CAT as well.

good luck!

PB and Kansas
I think I'll run mine with the cat muffler (E-tech as well) at least through the warranty period. Seems to be a lot of speculation on the e-tech version being down on power possibly etc. . . so I think I'll use mine as made just to see how she does. I'll keep her in a good state of tune with 93 octane mix and see how she handles or generates heat.
I did however order and received the non-cat muffler from Baileys. So I can convert after the warranty period. Maybe I won't want to -who knows!

I hear that I am cautious but optimistic about the change over, however on the other hand I am a believer in leaving a good thing alone.

My e-tech 359 is a dog compared to my 372, I thought a 59cc saw would get it on better than it does so thats my experience with cats so far - I think they restrict the engines potential based on that one saw. I really dont know about my 346 I plan on getting out in the morning while the ground is still froze and try it out, its supposed to be in the 50's yuck it liable to be a muddy mess.

What I am concerned about is adjusting the mix screws they look awfull unadjustable if you know what I mean that may be a problem? I will keep the post updated when I have something new to add please do the same if you dont mind!

Where are you guys finding these 346xp's my dealer has not even heard of them yet? Chub

What I am concerned about is adjusting the mix screws they look awfull unadjustable if you know what I mean that may be a problem? I will keep the post updated when I have something new to add please do the same if you dont mind!

my saw was set to full rich.

the plug was death lean, surged like hell at idle 30F temp and ran hot enough to fry an egg on.

My dealer

Where are you guys finding these 346xp's my dealer has not even heard of them yet? Chub

My dealer just ordered them in in November and he received 4 right before Christmas. In fact he still has one in stock on the shelf! He ordered them through his normal distributor.

Will do.

I hear that I am cautious but optimistic about the change over, however on the other hand I am a believer in leaving a good thing alone.

My e-tech 359 is a dog compared to my 372, I thought a 59cc saw would get it on better than it does so thats my experience with cats so far - I think they restrict the engines potential based on that one saw. I really dont know about my 346 I plan on getting out in the morning while the ground is still froze and try it out, its supposed to be in the 50's yuck it liable to be a muddy mess.

Kansas - I'll keep you and everyone here appraised of anything new. I have yet to give the saw a good workout as my job doesn't give me much free time on the weekends this time of year. So it's a bit tough to get up to my land and do some serious cutting. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Wanab - I've not experienced the idle surge or heat. I wonder if Wildbio or Old Farmerbuck has had any experience like yours?

Al

Last edited:

I started looking online and calling dealers I found one with a damaged box from Norwalk the last one he had I jumped on it.

And from what I can tell something is going on with Husky dealers online and I think it has something to do with the cats??? If someone knows please tell I am curious.

FWIW the dealer I have bought from for years has dropped Husky and if you look few dealers are selling anything but home owner grade Huskys now online why I dont know but the guy at Norwalk told me couldnt ship a saw anymore all he could ship was 2 little saws 136 or 142 some number like that dont remember. WTH no idea?

What did you do about it?

ditch the CAT if you want it to run right. IMHO the fresh air charged saws are the only realistic solutions with increased weight.

CAT saws?

forget it.

maybe 4stroke will give us some hope.

Kansas - I'll keep you and everyone here appraised of anything new. I have yet to give the saw a good workout as my job doesn't give me much free time on the weekends this time of year. So it's a bit tough to get up to my land and do some serious cutting. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Wanab - I've not experienced the idle surge or heat. I wonder if Wildbio or Old Farmerbuck has had any experience like yours?

Al
I havent noticed a heating problem or surging. The only thing i had to gripe about was not getting enough rpm's. I called the company and talked to them for a while. I ended up sending it back. its on its way here now. They sais they put a new carb on it and it is now set at 14,100 rpm. Guess ill find out soon. Mine didnt have the cat muffler though. I do have a spare muffler so i may pipe it and put it on.

ah, so thats why you bought the 5100.

my crystal ball sees a 7900 in your future.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back