question on small stumps and how to charge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know from past experience paying to have stumps ground what it costs around here for larger stumps, but what kind of money would you expect to get for smaller stumps like this one. This is mine in my front yard, and I am going to try out my new grinder when it gets here, but if it were a clients stump I have no real idea on what I would charge here in Indy. At first guess I would think $50 to $75. But I have no idea on a per inch in or around Indiana and this is really 2 stumps, so the inch thing gets confusing?

What would it go for in your area?

DSCF3302.jpg

DSCF3301.jpg

looks like $120 -$130 up here, you should have a min. charge per site visit , wich is $120 for me.

playsafe

lawmart

The truly perfect answer involves several factors

1) how busy are you?
2) how far from home is it?
3) Is the person asking being an a$$? How about his wife?

Very, Very important factors. And before I forget

IS THERE BEER INVOLVED?

I'm new to the business (about 6 weeks now) as well, so I don't claim to know a lot as compared to most of these guys here

I bid $2/linear inch measured at the base at the widest point. Above 6' I go to $3/inch as the stump grows exponentially.

That's lower than I see most others post on this site, but that seems to keep me competitive around here. And I'm not the low guy in town. I've lost a few jobs to cheaper guys.

I'd look at your stumps in the picture as one oval shaped stump & measure accordingly. You know there'll be roots connecting them as you go down.

If that's all the customer needs done, my minimum is $100.

Also consider the other factors mentioned. Travel, ease of access, etc.

One newbe to another, good luck.

Thanks gang, I think I was in line with the $75 range, maybe $85. I know that access is an issue, but I am getting an Alpine magnum that I can carry for hard to get to stumps specifically. I also plan on doing smaller to mid range size stumps and leaving the giants to the other guys with larger gear.

Thanks again!
Alex

I hate to say it but I would charge about $45 for the two of them . It isn't a big stump. Most people wouldn't accect the $100 bid on that size around here.

There are a number of things you look at when bidding:

Check your equipment rental stores for stump grinder prices. In my area these stores provide walk behind stump grinders at $75.00 for 2 hours. Most cases the homeowner must also rent a trailer to trailer it to the job site.
Also what does your competitors have for stump machines. In my area there is only 1 other company that has a stump grinder that can get through a standard 36 inch gate. Most of the tree services in my area still have tow behinds. What this means if that the guy with the machine that can do this job has the monopoly on back yard fenced in stumps. You then can bid those higher and still get the job. Almost in all cases back yards stumps are at least $100.00.

OK to charge by the inch but always best to have a minimal charge to even bring the grinder out. I have a minimum 75.00 charge regardless of the size of the stump.

If I could get $100 for tiddlers like that I'd be retired by now.:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey

What's up with all you yanks wearing white socks? I got all sorts, like my navy, black, grey and even tan ... whites for tennis and golf, so what gives?

Hey

What's up with all you yanks wearing white socks? I got all sorts, like my navy, black, grey and even tan ... whites for tennis and golf, so what gives?

Busted....

Ahh, that's to show my "athletic" side. Good thing I was not wearing sandals... :jester:

$45 to $60 at 6" depth - Looks like 10 minutes or under. No way would this bring $100 here.

Back