question on vent free heater

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampakev

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
a buddy of mine is just finishing a apartment over his garage for his daughter. he asked if i knew anything about the natreal gas heaters the ones you just hang on the wall that they sell at northern tool. i dont know, i figured someone in here might know. are they safe? it will be her only heat, and what about the oxigen thing. thank you. kevin

i could be wrong, but they burn differently than a regular heater and you don't have the same exhaust problems.

high effieciency furnaces only use a 2" PVC pipe to exhaust gases, how ever, i believe the one you're talking about burns the natural gas differently.

A lot of vent free heaters tell you to open a window a crack while using. Seems to defeat the purpose of heating.

A friend of mine had one and he had alot of moisture on his windows and it damaged his drywall ceiling. You could see the outlines of every truss up there. I would avoid getting one.

thanks for all the replies. hes going to cut a hole in the wall and get a heater that vents. thanks again. kevin

For what it's worth, I have a 30K BTU ventless gas heater that we used for emergency heat prior to the wood stove going in. I got it at northern tool. No smell, TONS of heat, oxygen sensor was never a problem, but it does generate 1oz of water for every lb of propane burned. Not a problem for me cause it was temporary and it's always too dry in winter. Seems like if it was a permanent heat source, that might be a bit too much moisture. You could run about 40hours on a standard "grill tank". All in all, I thought the thing was pretty cool for the $159 I paid for it.

we heated our house 5 years with one, never a problem
was much more efficent then the electric heat we had

Latest posts

Back