question RE felling several huge poplar trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gprisma

Reaction score
I am harvesting some poplar trees. Most of the poplars are singles. They are awesome size too (35 in. diameters)! A few of the poplars are doubles. What is the best way to remove a tree like this????
Normally I would cut a wedge into the tree above the crotch. However the crotch in these doubles is usually 6 or 7 feet off the ground. Maybe its best to get a step stool. I considered cutting the notch a few inches above the ground (below the crotch). i am worried that when making the back cut the other half of the tree may break away as the saw reaches the center of tree where there is a seam.
thanks appreciate any help lots :biggrinbounce2:

pics would help. i'm guessing 80-100 '
can be barberchair prone.
but it seems a better approach is to find a logger.
safer and healthier.
or just move to better, easier firewood ?

pic's would be nice, but, hard to read a tree by pic. something like that could get stupid real fast. just my 2 cent's.

Not sure if it is common practice or down right stupid, but im sure some of the older guys will clear this up. I have used a chain and a ratcheting binder a few times just to keep everything together up there. But I dont know how much experience you have or if its even a good idear in the first place.

If you know where your holding wood is at, falling them below the crotch is not usually difficult. If the crotch is relatively sound, you can dump them both together.

It really depends on how solid the butt wood is below the bifurcate section . If the they have crotch rot it is safer to take them from the top down. If you have never fell a large bifurcated tree get a pro to do it for you. To take down a tree that is bifurcated you need specialized tools to do it safely.

Not sure if it is common practice or down right stupid, but im sure some of the older guys will clear this up. I have used a chain and a ratcheting binder a few times just to keep everything together up there. But I dont know how much experience you have or if its even a good idear in the first place.

I have no experience with your local trees and conditions so I won't give you any advice however chaining the trees together is a common practice. So is cutting the union and falling each trunk separately.

The Homeowner forum is probably a better place to ask this question.

Your going to have some rigging for safety. You mill need a man lift or scaffolding or some spring boards to cut each bifurcated section.

Last edited:
I have no experience with your local trees and conditions so I won't give you any advice however chaining the trees together is a common practice. So is cutting the union and falling each trunk separately.

The Homeowner forum is probably a better place to ask this question.

That's the best advice given.

The first thought that comes to my mind is to get a professional tee surgeon to bid the take down. Since the op has said nothing about his abilities to fall a tree I say call in pro to do the dropping then the op could do the clean up work. The danger in trying to whole fall trees like these the risk of failure at the crotch do to rotten wood.

Latest posts

Back