Question to all who buy used saws....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys I called a lot of dealers today and no 441 around.... However the dealers all had the 461 in stock.....the best price I have found is $1014.95 with a 25 b&c out the door what do you guys think....

...the dealers all had the 461 in stock.....the best price I have found is $1014.95 with a 25 b&c out the door what do you guys think....
Sounds good to me. Get a 6-pack of Stihl Ultra to double the warranty. It would be good to purchase from a local dealer with a "Gold Level Servicing Technician" on staff if possible.

Around here they don't double warranty with pro saws for some reason.....and do you happen to know Howard the 461 has rubber AV mounts or are they like the 361 with the metal springs...

Around here they don't double warranty with pro saws for some reason.....and do you happen to know Howard the 461 has rubber AV mounts or are they like the 361 with the metal springs...
Just to make sure, it's how you use the saw, i.e., making money with it, not whether it's a pro model, that determines the extended warranty. The AV mounts are rubber.

i think warranty should be two years seems fair, but there are guys that use them 8 hours a day, everyday.... It seems like they should have used metal spring AV mounts instead of rubber but maybe they did it for a reason, I just can't think of a good one.....

Here in Canada All Stihl saws are 2 years if you buy the 6 pack of oil or 1 liter of motomix . Now that is 2 years if you are not a logger, arborist etc.. but as a home owner or non professional 2 years. It is actually up to the dealer in the end. I can not tell you how many times Ms Arborist's wife buys a saw in her name and hubby uses it.

Ya I will definitely be tryin to get the two year I am not a professional Arboristsit so they should Do me right on the 2 year warranty...

00w0w_fYNQ2MbxU8Z_600x450.jpg

00y0y_aYHajSK5N5e_600x450.jpg

00303_5cFjKq4Wiw0_600x450.jpg

00P0P_iXQ64ug0ASk_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_9oyHJEJmaNg_600x450.jpg

00404_b9GkyLSALzl_600x450.jpg

Well that's the ms 361 the guy has for sale guys.... He has $375 on it....

Ya I mainly just thought I would post those pics so you guys could see why I thought the saw was priced high....honestly even if I looked at the saw now and the piston "smiled" back me, I would still pass, I wouldn't even bite unless he was around 200....

Anyway I am still leaning very close to buyin a new 461..... Thanks for all the input guys, very helpful....

Won't run a 25" bar if that's your goal; only 1/2 hp more than your 290.

I have run a 25" b&C on mine. While it will not win any speed contests it does drive it rather well. Keep the chain sharp and it will be just fine. Look at the 3 min mark.. it does run it decently. a Muffler mod and a retune and I think it can do much better.

Loggee, so very true, Muncie Indiana craigslist... If you wish I can give you his number just let me know....

One thing that hasnt been mention when checking a used saw. Pull the plug, move the piston to bottom dead center and take a small flashlight and look inside at the exhaust side of the cyl. If the cyl is heavy scored, chances are it has been run lean and the piston will look scored just the same as the cyl wall. Sure sign the saw will have low compression and most likely needs a new top end. Just looking at the plug will tell you if it has been ran lean, the plug will have a chalky white appearance. If the saw will crank and run chances are the rest of the saw is ok, but not a guarantee. Lean saws run hot and it is possible the connecting rod bearings are toast and will need replacing as well as the piston. Pin bearing bad, might need a new rod and crank assembly.If it has ran hot long enough, could possibly also need new crank bearing. In other words, If the bore of the cyl looks like it has ran lean and cyl scored pretty bad, just go ahead and figure the saw as a parts saw, or needing a complete overhaul before paying big bucks. While it might be a simple top end replacement, it can be a lot worse and price should reflect the risk.

I am not a chainsaw mechanic, but I have fooled with a lot of junk

Muddstop, very useful information there thanks a lot.... Will no doubt be keeping in mind every thing you said when looking at next used saw....

Latest posts

Back