Question to all who buy used saws....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to montanaresident and conquistador both, have you guys turned the 290's into the 390's before...... I actually have about doin that when the ol girl finally does die.... Which leads me to the next question to you 2 guys..... How much ruffly would it cost me to do the switch from 290 to 390...

I just got doing this on my MS290...you can get a Farmtec 390 upgrade kit from one of the members on this forum on eBay for about $59.00...or you can do what I did and get the complete engine from Bailey's for $160. When my SIL burned up my 290, I just went out and got a standard Stens P/C kit before I knew how easy it was to upgrade...and ultimately, I decided that the upgrade would make a better saw out of what I consider to be a pretty fine unit! So I just bit the bullet and got the complete engine because it is already pressure/vacuum tested and has a warranty. By that time I just wanted my saw back on line.

The new engine runs fine. Need to get it into some wood, though. Gonna go ahead and reassemble the stock engine as a spare back...

...If the bore of the cyl looks like it has ran lean and cyl scored pretty bad, just go ahead and figure the saw as a parts saw, or needing a complete overhaul before paying big bucks...
Yup. Found that out with a ms460 (acquired for free) w/blown piston/cyl. Installed new p/c, then ended up tearing it apart again to install crank bearings/seals. Holding my breath about the crank assembly...

Yes sir I have cut a lot, this job I on now with the 90 tops biggest I had yet.... Your sayin could not be anymore true, I am just lucky I told myself that I won't buy it before I got there unless it was a beauty....and yes sir I have been wanting to get a compression gauge, is there any you recommend....I don't need best just a good one that will work when I need it to....
I might be a little late to this but none the less...
Do yourself a huge favor and get a compression gauge, it's the easiest way to check the health of the top end. Second, take the muffler off and look at the piston for scoring or carbon blow by past the rings. Third, if you have a smart phone buy a cell phone boroscope. There range from $10-30 on eBay. Then you can stick it down the spark plug hole and look at the cylinder walls.

Hey VK I am glad u brought this back up, because I will do it when my ol trusty 290 goes... So is it basically take the jug off and place the new farmtec 390 piston and hardware in, or is there a lot more to it...also when you do get this saw in wood, please let me know how much better it seems.....

Hey Philip me agian, lmao....would it be right to say if the cylinder looks good but a piston in a saw looks bad you can basically just put new piston in and be good.... I know there is more to it than that but is that about it..... If the cylinder is good you can rebuild it?????

Wow marshy great post.... I didn't know they had horoscope for these fancy phones..... I just got one few months ago and that's how I found this great site, I always had the 30 dollar phone because I always smashed, drowned, or cracked it from workin with the damn thing in my pocket lmao....but what kind of horoscopes would you recommend brand wise.... Definitely could use that for a lot of things.....thanks a lot guys.... Kyle

...would it be right to say if the cylinder looks good but a piston in a saw looks bad you can basically just put new piston in and be good.... I know there is more to it than that but is that about it..... If the cylinder is good you can rebuild it?...
Not always the case. Best thing is to stay away from blown saws and keep yours from blowing up, too.

Back