Quick chain question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepnva

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to sharpen some 20LP and I'm confused whether I need a 1/8" grinding wheel or a 3/16"? If it's 1/8" I need to make a return to da sto. Hopefully I won't get pulled into more buying. :greenchainsaw:

Okay, as you can tell I'm getting mixed signals from my NT Grinder {saying 1/8"} and Oregon {saying 3/16"}. I trust Oregon more than Northern so I'll give it a whirl next week when I'm allowed to open the box {Birthday Gift}. Just trying to get it straight before then, if I could. Thanks for the replies. It's .325" if it helps

Last edited:
No, 3/16" file and grinding wheel. I got the Oregon manual right here in front to me.

Interesting. I'm looking at the .pdf right now...

Some .325 chains say 1/8 wheel, others say 3/16.

20BP - 3/16 wheel

20LP - 3/16 wheel according to Oregon - 1/8 according to Baileys

33LG - 1/8 wheel

33SL - 1/8 wheel

95VP - 3/16 wheel

I also sent in a message to Baileys asking if it is 1/8 or 3/16 - maybe its a typo or they just found something that works better.

Last edited:
Basically it's like this, some .325 pitch chains used a smaller cutter that took a 5/32" file while some used the larger cutter that took a 3/16" file.

Mostly the smaller cutter chains were consumer safety chains, if I'm not mistaken.

5/32" file chain uses a 1/8" wheel

3/16" file chain used a 3/16" wheel

Thats the way I see it anyway.

Alright, I see where ya'll are comin' from. I just used the 1/8" on a practice {safety} chain and it worked great. But, I did put the 3/16" wheel up to the cutters on the 20LP and it seemed very close to the rakers. But, once that wheel is dressed I'm sure it'll fit much better. Thanks for ya'lls input and yes I obviously opened the gift early.:D And it works great. Keep me posted if ya hear something back from Baileys on what they say about which size.

The 20 l.p. has a tall enough cutter, that the 3/16 would work OK,
but I usually opt for the 1/8, on the 33 chain, definitely the 1/8 wheel.
File size is much more important, the wheel diameter, not as critical, but I
usually use the narrower more.

Don't worry, I still use a hand file and I do get a sharper edge with it. But, It's so much more fun with the grinder.:greenchainsaw: After a few touch ups with a file, of course.

Interesting. I'm looking at the .pdf right now...

Some .325 chains say 1/8 wheel, others say 3/16.

20BP - 3/16 wheel

20LP - 3/16 wheel according to Oregon - 1/8 according to Baileys

33LG - 1/8 wheel

33SL - 1/8 wheel

95VP - 3/16 wheel

I also sent in a message to Baileys asking if it is 1/8 or 3/16 - maybe its a typo or they just found something that works better.

When the BP and VP use 3/16", so should the LP.

SL and LG have lower cutters.

When the BP and VP use 3/16", so should the LP.

SL and LG have lower cutters.
Funny my Oregon chain say's 4.5mm for the 33sl that would be 11/64 it also say's as a option you can use 5/32.
But I prefer the 4.5mm/11/64 hard to find files.
By the way I really don't like the Oregon 33 safety chain never found a slower cutting chain! I use it for dirty stuff.

Back