Quick Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soal6

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a novice when it cmes to using a chainsaw and was using mine yesterday for firewood. Its a Jonsered 630. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long a tank of chain oil should last when using it constant? Should it last the same time as a tank of fuel?

Oil usually lasts longer than a tank of fuel by a little bit.

I would disagree. I have a couple of Jonsered 621's, a 910, and a 930 and any of those saws will run out of oil before the fuel tank is empty. Same goes for my 2050 Jonsered.

I do have an 036 and an 066 Stihl and I will agree that they will run out of fuel before the oil tank is empty.

Others will really depend on how the automatic oiler (where available) is adjusted or how much I supplement with the manual oiler button on other saws.

Mark

Thanks for the replies, My 630 runs out of oil just before the fuel does. So that sounds ok to me!:cheers:

I think the 630 has a crank driven oil pump, as opposed to a clutch driven. So the oiler is running no matter the load on the saw, and usage compared to fuel use might vary a lot more depending on what you are up to. Newer saws have clutch drive oilers, so oiling under load only. just sayin, evenflo, and maybe i'm talkin out my arse.

Last edited:
Since the 630s are similar to the 266/268/272 Husqvarnas, I'd say the 630 has a clutch-driven oil pump. Those Huskys have a 4-position adjuster. If I remember correctly, Husqvarna recommended the adjustment be set a the number 2 position for a 20" bar. I used to have about 1/4 tank of oil left after a tank of gas in both my 268 and my 272. I'm sure the 630 and the 670 used the same oil pump. I can't offer any advice on the pre-elux Jonsereds, since I've never owned one.

I would disagree. I have a couple of Jonsered 621's, a 910, and a 930 and any of those saws will run out of oil before the fuel tank is empty. Same goes for my 2050 Jonsered.

I do have an 036 and an 066 Stihl and I will agree that they will run out of fuel before the oil tank is empty.

Others will really depend on how the automatic oiler (where available) is adjusted or how much I supplement with the manual oiler button on other saws.

Mark

Homelite 360 (years ago) and assorted Stihls. None would run the tank dry before the fuel and I always adjusted ones that were adjustable for max oil.

Harry K

And with that thought in mind, does anybody turn their oilers down? I always set mine to the max as soon as I get the saw and just leave it there.

On my 026 I would if I could. It doesn't have the adjustable oiler, and that thing really slings off the oil. More than it needs to, IMO.

And with that thought in mind, does anybody turn their oilers down? I always set mine to the max as soon as I get the saw and just leave it there.

I turned down the oiler to minimum on a 460 while using it with a log wizard. Saved the guy at least 30 litres of chain oil. Regardless, the 460 **** the bed due to over heating. The cooling fins were plugged up.
John

Latest posts

Back