quick Stihl model question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g.moore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got the OK to get a 70cc class saw and am looking at the 044 but all I'm finding have a plastic case, they look like a very large version of my 025. I want one to match my 051, all metal, built like a tank. Can someone enlighten me as to what model would be correct if not the 044? And before someone starts flaming me for not wanting the plastic case I don't like the air cleaner and the handle is way too small compared to my 051 which is very comfortable in my hand, I actually have a nice heavy layer of duct tape on the 025 and 455 so they feel comfortable to me.

Good luck not finding a newer style saw in the 70cc range without a plastic case. They all are.

Comparing your 051 to an 044 is like comparing a brontosaurus to a crocodile. The 051 is a huge big vibrating hunk of metal compared to the lighter faster "plastic" 044.

Not "flaming" you... just sending you a slight gut check.

Gary

Comparing your 051 to an 044 is like comparing a brontosaurus to a crocodile. The 051 is a huge big vibrating hunk of metal compared to the lighter faster "plastic" 044

:agree2:

If you have to have metal (I love old saws, so I know what ya mean) I agree with austin1, 041 super. But I have to warn ya, I have a pair of 038's one is the 68ish cc version, and the other is a 72ish cc version. They both have more HP than my old 041 super, my 038's are as heavy as an 044, and don't have quite as much power. My freebie 046 project wieghs the same as an 044, but it smokes my 038's bad, may as well be comparing my 064 to my dads xl-12.. What I'm trying to say is, comparing 70cc saws, newer is more, at least in stihl brand saws. I will say in the 041 supers defense, mine was bone stock, and all my saws now days are at least muffler modded. except the 046, but it will be soon.

I got the OK to get a 70cc class saw and am looking at the 044 but all I'm finding have a plastic case, they look like a very large version of my 025. I want one to match my 051, all metal, built like a tank. Can someone enlighten me as to what model would be correct if not the 044? And before someone starts flaming me for not wanting the plastic case I don't like the air cleaner and the handle is way too small compared to my 051 which is very comfortable in my hand, I actually have a nice heavy layer of duct tape on the 025 and 455 so they feel comfortable to me.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: Never heard of an 044 (or other pro 70cc saw) with a plastic case - fuel tank, rear handle, top cover etc sure is plastic, but not the crank-case.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. Went to the site Rookie1 posted then started checking out the suggestions. I did see 1 that looks pretty good, what about the 045? It has the cc's I want and the case design I want. Reliabilty? good, bad, ugly?

I actually "demo'd" a brand new 440, 660 and 880 and hated all 3, they felt like toys to me. They had good power I just didn't like them. I would rather have to spend more time in the cut, be comfortable with the saw and enjoy using it than to blast through the cut and dread having to pick up the saw and after running the new saws it will be the 2nd option. Out of all my saws the 2 that I usually grab first are the XL12 and 051, I usually leave the 025 and 455 at home because I really don't like using them unless I have to so I don't want to drop the $$ on a saw and have it sit all the time because I hate it.

I have an 045 Super and it'll easily pull a 36" bar. Some had a chain brake, and if not, can be fitted with one. It's all in the bar cover. P&Cs can be a little difficult to find though. The 056 is the same basic saw. Go with a 056 Mag II and you've got the biggest of the bunch.

It would be fitted with a 20" bar and skip tooth chain, looked at the 056 and I already have the 051 @ 89cc's and really don't have a use for anything bigger, the 051 is almost overkill for what I need but do usually end up with atleast 2 or 3 24-30" Pines which it handles with ease. I'm looking at something for the average 18"-20" Pine, and I really avoid using the 455 if possible.

The 045 and 056 are basically identical. Nearly every part interchanges. They simply put different sized P&Cs on them. 045/056 is 52mm. 045/056 Super is 54mm. And 056 Mag II is 56mm. The 056 Mag II case does have a slightly different cylinder bolt pattern. Some of the later cases have steel inserts in the case for the clutch side crank bearing.

They are much more difficult to work on than modern saws. There are quite a few bolts that hold the handle on. After it's removed, you remove the fuel tank. Then you can remove the cylinder.

None of the screws are Torx.

Many of the electronic ignitions have failed or are prone to fail. You can convert to points if the crank has the eccentric for it. I've had both. They both run well.

Most do not have a chain brake. It can be added though simply by putting the bar cover on that has the brake in it. I did that with one.

Both that I have had were 045 Supers, again, the same as a 056 Super. They start easily and have good revs for their age. I believe the factory spec is 12K. Mine will pull a full comp 36" chain quite well. They do have AV, but is not up to par with modern saws. Bottom line, they're a great running old saw with great power. The biggest risk is finding a cylinder should you ruin yours. Especially the 54m and 56mm versions.

If you're only looking to pull a 20" bar, you're really looking at the wrong saw. I'd recomment a 041AV or 041 AV Super. The Super has something like 72cc and has a great reputation. I restored one to like new condition earlier this year and sold it. I kind of regret that now. They're a neat old saw. GALLERY

275253518_6YFv4-M.jpg

Last edited:

Have you considered an older Jonsereds?

It would be fitted with a 20" bar and skip tooth chain
On a 70cc saw?? thats a good combo for a 45-55cc saw, your wood must be real hard over there. If that was the bar/chain that I wanted to run, I'd be looking for a mostley metal 028 woodboss. or your xl-12. The only thing I can figure is the Cedar/fir/hemlock in the PNW robs a lot less HP than your pines over there. Now I'm really thinking 041av, or 041avs.

Last edited:
IMHO, 45-55cc is 16"-18" territory. I personally run a 20" on my 60cc but many use a 70cc. 80cc-90cc is certainly overkill though.

Oh, skip chain on a 20" bar will only serve to make it cut slower, have more vibrations, and be more suseptible to kickback.

:agree2: 100%, just look at my signature. I just thought 70cc + 20" bar does not = skip tooth. I run skip tooth on any saw that has more bar than it should (like my xl-12, 064, 041) :D

When I switched to the skip on the XL it had a noticable improvement in cleaning out the chips, did the same for the 455. The wood is so soft and wet the chips were literally sticking to the chain and coming out the top of the cover whereas with the skip they are a nice heavy flow right out the bottom and I've noticed there's less chips and crap trapped behind the cover.

I had considered Jonsered but honestly only know they're a good saw but not how they are to work on which is why I was looking at the Stihl. If they are still in the "intelligent" engineering generation and not the pull everything off the saw just to change a plug generation I would seriously consider one.

I also have a habit of keeping the bar on the smallish side for the cc's. The 051 has a 24", I like it's handling and cutting speed with that combo. The XL has a 16", it works very well with that also. I wouldn't hesitate to put an 18" on the 051 if that gives some insight.

I finally ran the neighbors 385 with a 20" and it cuts nice, I just don't like all of the plastic, dampers and covers all over it. That thing is a real PITA to get to anything on and even worse to try and tune with the vibration dampers shaking it all over. The reason I was looking at the 70cc class was simply because I like the way his combo cut.

Anyone care to fill me in on the Jonsered engineering/maintainability?

Back