quick Stihl model question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2: 100%, just look at my signature. I just thought 70cc + 20" bar does not = skip tooth. I run skip tooth on any saw that has more bar than it should (like my xl-12, 064, 041) :D

Out here skip is run on 20" bars all the time... soft wood... no biggee. My 028WB had a 20" bar on it with full skip. Plus it's easier to just buy all full skip chain for all my 3/8" .050 bars.

Gary

So can anyone answer my Jonsered questions? I am nowhere near a dedicated Stihl or Husky or Homelite guy. I will run whatever saw is reliable, easy to repair and most important of all comfortable to use. I have heard alot of good things about Jonsered on here but not so much as to the repair aspect of them, I would love to "broaden my horizons" with another brand of saw but am hesitant because I know absolutely nothing about them.

Checked out the 2171 and yes, it appears to be almost the same as the Husky. I'm just not really that fond of the vibration dampening that Husky uses, comparing it to the Stihl the Husky bounces, shakes and shimmies all over which I really don't like that much. What are the older say pre-1980 Jonsered's like? The dampening on the 025 and 455 are livable but thanks to Lakeside I put all new dampers on the 051 and it's going great now. It's firm, I know I am running a saw but not as bouncy as the newer saws.

So can anyone answer my Jonsered questions? I am nowhere near a dedicated Stihl or Husky or Homelite guy. I will run whatever saw is reliable, easy to repair and most important of all comfortable to use. I have heard alot of good things about Jonsered on here but not so much as to the repair aspect of them, I would love to "broaden my horizons" with another brand of saw but am hesitant because I know absolutely nothing about them.

The Jonsereds 70E ("E" meaning electronis ignition, the 70 had points) is one of my favorites. It has a ton of torque and is all metal. I find it easy to work on, but I cannot compare it to the Stihls because I have never worked on them. Parts are hard to find new, and some are hard to find used.

Since you like to lug metal I will also recommend an 041 to you. Its easy to work on, has a nice classic sound, lots of torque, heavy metal, and reliable. Mine cuts just as slow with a 24" bar as it does with an 18".

I know where you are coming from wanting to run the oldy moldys, I build and race fast saws but I still cut firewood with an old Homelite or a Mac sometimes, I just like the old saws.

It also sounds like you would like an old Super 250 Mac, you wont find anything built in the last 15 years all magnesium.

Back