quick tip-wine and milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
No obviously I wouldn't mix the two I like my extremities! Just a quick tip from a newbie I got tired of bringing along a funnel so I could fill my oil up with my chainsaw mounted on the mill, the clearance made it a little hard without one so I tried something that has really worked out well. My wife and I used to buy the wine in a box (Vella) I would save the spigot off the box when it was empty didn't know why thought it might be useful for something , it is a turn knob style not the push button style it happens to fit a little loosely right into my husqvarna bar oil bottle and with the viscosity of the oil (i guess) it didn't need any other kind of seal and doesn't leak now I just dangle my bottle over the resivoir and turn the tap to fill up works great and doesn't make a big mess and no funnel to put in my milling box to leak bar oil all over. I am assuming it will work on other bottles and like I said it should be the turn knob style spigot since the other type has a smaller outlet and it would take awhile to fill up your oil. If you can get some family or friends to help you finish the box might be worth the 10.00 a box to have some fun and end up with a useful part at the end!! Just passing it along. irishcountry

I'm Ok filling my oil on the 395 while it's on the mill as long as it's not windy. I can aim and carefully let that stuff pour down into the opening from 5 inches above. When windy though, it's darn near impossible to not spill some trying to keep that stream going down into the saw.

Poke a hole in the aluminum sealer of your bar oil container with your scrench. Only the diameter of the scrench. Works perfectly everytime. Been doing like forever. Save the boxed wine for the kitchen sink drain. :jester:

Yeah boxed wine is a matter of taste and I have no doubt it would clear some clogs!! HA Lately I have been into microbews (a buddy of mine makes his own) and some more commercial stuff like Linenkugels sunset wheat! Just thought i'd post it in case it happened to come in hady for someone else.. take care

Get some 80-90w

When you are done changing the oil in the rear differential of your truck take one or two of the empty oil bottles and fill it with your bar oil. These bottles work awesome for filling the saw with bar oil.

Jerry C

Yeah boxed wine is a matter of taste and I have no doubt it would clear some clogs!! HA Lately I have been into microbews (a buddy of mine makes his own) and some more commercial stuff like Linenkugels sunset wheat! Just thought i'd post it in case it happened to come in hady for someone else.. take care

+1
Thats actually a good idea.....maybe I'll incorporate that into something.....thanks much Irishcountry!

Back