Quote From Another Site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see the problem..???.. Actually agree with him..!!

At least 95+% of saws are not ported..!!

A general homeowner needs a ported saw like he needs another hole in the head..!!

Port work ain't cheap...who would spend $200 on a $300 saw for maybe 20% power gain..??
:cheers:
J2F

I agree with MOST of what you said here.

20%........maybe????????

Meh.............. :laugh:

IMO.....the biggest mod the average person needs is a SHARP CHAIN! Added HP is a plus too! But throwing chips as opposed to throwing dust..... is the best production improvement! More HP isn't going to help a dull chain!

Amen to that and I've been falling for 29 of the last 31 years !

IMO.....the biggest mod the average person needs is a SHARP CHAIN! Added HP is a plus too! But throwing chips as opposed to throwing dust..... is the best production improvement! More HP isn't going to help a dull chain!

Man aint that the truth, this morning I was cutting a 16' long ash log about 34" at the base. The first cut I was seeing what my 562 had using the dogs to put a little pressure on the bar, I was soon reminded that its only gonna cut as fast as my sharpen will allow!! Went from chips to dust and I filed in a hurry cause I was mad at myself and eager to run this screamer sommore. Next 2 cuts I let gravity and the chain take advantage of this saws high powerband what do you know it was working good. Still had to stop and file it correctly till I was finally happy with it but I hate relearning lessons past. I long for some clean oak to cut the heck out of!! Bottom line for me is I felt with my patience level I needed a 28" bar on occasion like this and this little 60cc saw does the job so long as I keep her sharp!! Oh do you think this guy would frown on me wanting my doggy husky weedeater ported so it will run like my friends Stihl?

:deadhorse:

To each his own ....

Let's face it ,many of us :chainsawguy: are motorheads with a lust for speed . These small engines allow us to play without breaking the bank . Maybe it's the dark side of The Force ???

May The Force be with you :rock:

:deadhorse:

To each his own ....

Let's face it ,many of us :chainsawguy: are motorheads with a lust for speed . These small engines allow us to play without breaking the bank . Maybe it's the dark side of The Force ???

May The Force be with you :rock:

That's want the big draw to modding saws was for me in the first place. I drag raced (bracket, 1/8 mile) for many years until I started building a house and could no longer afford it. I proudly admit to being a gearhead that could in reality get by with an old 028.......I did just that for 15 years before I stumbled across this place. :laugh:

I totally agree with you.....BUT.....

Put an average (or alpha-male) man in a Porsche 911 Twin-Turbo Carrera ....AND...

Let's just not go there...if you know what I mean..!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Actually, a 911 Turbo from the last decade is a very easy car to drive. Now, a Ford GT, that's a troublemaker of a car. I do get your point though.

It seems many people recommend a 346 or an MS260 for somebody looking for a first saw. Hell, I wanted one(ported of course) when I first came on here after reading some of the posts. Lets be honest, most casual firewood cutters probably don't need that. The ones that heat exclusively with wood, maybe, but most would be golden with a Husky 450, an MS 271-291, or even a Poulan 5020.

Joe Homeowner who only trims their crab apple tree can even get away less.

Nick

That's want the big draw to modding saws was for me in the first place. I drag raced (bracket, 1/8 mile) for many years until I started building a house and could no longer afford it. I proudly admit to being a gearhead that could in reality get by with an old 028.......I did just that for 15 years before I stumbled across this place. :laugh:

Exactly !!! I was content with my 55Rancher untill I ran a 272xp . Then I had to have one . Then , joining this site and seeing mm's , porting , 40% gains , I'm all in !!! :cool2:

I used a 3400 for 4yrs. went to 357.
Both 56cc saws. 357 on paper have more power.:rock: SOLD!!!
The first cut w/ the 357 almost took my foot off, if it was ported it would have.
Most people only need just-a-saw.
People that make a 100 cuts a day would like a ported saw,
but if your making 100 cuts a day, or more, most likely your getting paid by the hour.

:hmm3grin2orange:

1/8th mile!?!? that's not a race that's a burnout :rock::hmm3grin2orange:

That is like a smoker saying that cigarettes are harmless because he doesn't have cancer. There is a reason that you start learning to ride a 2 wheel bicycle with training wheels on it. While you may have dodged a bullet with your bike, would you turn your 16 year old son loose with a 600 HP Corvette? Like anything, people need to learn the basics first before they move on to more advanced procedures and higher performance machinery.

you say I dodged a bullet with my bike, that implies the only reason I wasn'y hurt was from pure luck, that knowing what I was doing had nothing to do with it...I say NO SIR TO YOU! Why, because I absolutely did nothing on the 1000 liter bike that I wouldn't have done a 500cc bike. I would 've treated them both the same way. If I could've been hurt on one, I could've just as easy been hurt on the other because I would've treated them both with equal respect. I would know my machines, I know what they can do, I would know what I could do to hurt myself, I respected the equipment and I wasn't stupid. You imply I was just lucky. Wrong. You're cigarettes analogy is really poor but I won't waste people's time explaining it. Now.....having said all that, that still does not guarentee I couldn't have been hurt on the bike (or using a big ported saw) certainly not, common sense is still a player, of course there is always a little luck involved in practices that are inheriently dangerous. No I wouldn't turn my 16 yr old son loose on a 600 hp corvette. But what I did do was prepare my son to learn to handle a dodge diesel with 550 hp and a manual tranny. ( if you know anything about the cummins motor you'll know that it's fairly easy to get those kind of hp #'s)That's how he learned to drive and he did great...and guess what, now he has the confidence and ability to handle anything they may throw at him on the job. Turning anybody loose is not what I described above or in the original post. Here is what I described: I promise you that if you knew that your 16 yr old was smart , competent, well informed, well studied on the equipment, knew what it could do and how it could hurt him, understand it's capabilites, was not an idiot and wasn't stupid there would be no reason he couldn't handle that corvette. Again, it's not the machine it's the people behind it. The first time I ever flew it was in a jet trainer...not a kite. Why could I do that? because I was well schooled, informed and I knew my machine.....therefor the machine was not too much for me to handle.
By the way, in some respects you do make a valid point...I will admit there is some middle ground here in certain areas...but not with chainsaws.

Last edited:
Regarding the quote that OP offered up, I think that the point is valid. Especially when dealing with casual saw users or new saw users, the focus needs to be on safety, sharp chains, and good technique for the cutting task at hand. These are the things that really matter in terms of productivity, not incremental HP increases.

It amazes me, truly amazes me, to see folks on this site buying expensive saws, getting them ported, and then asking how to know if their saw is tuned right or not. Seriously? Cart before the horse, eh?

Regarding the quote that OP offered up, I think that the point is valid. Especially when dealing with casual saw users or new saw users, the focus needs to be on safety, sharp chains, and good technique for the cutting task at hand. These are the things that really matter in terms of productivity, not incremental HP increases.

It amazes me, truly amazes me, to see folks on this site buying expensive saws, getting them ported, and then asking how to know if their saw is tuned right or not. Seriously? Cart before the horse, eh?

I will be the first to advice a new user that there are many more important things to think about aside from performance when learning to use a saw.

I had a guy bring me a saw to port that had a badly dulled chain on it. I made a few videos of that saw. The first was "as delivered". The second showed a 300% increase in cut speed after sharpening the chain. The next showed a muffler mod and a mild port massage.......an increase of 20% at best.

I tried to talk the guy into buying three chains so he could have them sharpened and rotate as they dulled. I even offered to give him some filing tips. He was far less interested in the chains than the engine........

The quote was taken from a thread that stated with a guy simply asking about porting saws. It soon turned into a port bashing in every way. "Not safe, not needed, burns too much fuel and BTW I'm a pro and never needed it so why would anyone else and cutting cookies for fun is just plain stupid". Personally I think he may never have run a good ported saw before:rock:

Latest posts

Back