Quoting in Threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Why does everybody "quote" so much in threads? I cansee where you are quoting from earlier in the thread to a post that is relevent to your post. Or you are using part of a quote to answer with your post. But every single time to reply?

...also... why does everybody also leave the "pic tags" in when they quote? So we get the same pics over and over and over again in a thread.

I am just curious... I have been browsing through some very pic heavy threads, and the threads would be a lot more easy to view without seeing the same dang pics every 3 posts. Especially when someone posts up a lot of pics... then the very next post someone will "quote" and all the pics show up again...

Again, just me bein' me... curious... :dizzy:

Gary

Great question. I can tell you the items you talk about seem to occur on just about ever forum I frequent... its also a pet peeve of mine... :clap:

Why does everybody "quote" so much in threads? I cansee where you are quoting from earlier in the thread to a post that is relevent to your post. Or you are using part of a quote to answer with your post. But every single time to reply?

...also... why does everybody also leave the "pic tags" in when they quote? So we get the same pics over and over and over again in a thread.

I am just curious... I have been browsing through some very pic heavy threads, and the threads would be a lot more easy to view without seeing the same dang pics every 3 posts. Especially when someone posts up a lot of pics... then the very next post someone will "quote" and all the pics show up again...

Gary

Muuuuuuah.... :biggrinbounce2:

the pic tag thing bothers me and i often do not quote bc i don't like them and didn't know how you could quote without having the pics come along for the ride. can someone ellucidate this topic?

I try to get the pics out and leave the qoute in that I am refering to, although I have to admit I have left them in on occaision (just being lazy I spose). It does get annoying as hell when you've gotta flip thru pic after same pic. I'll quit being lazy.

the pic tag thing bothers me and i often do not quote bc i don't like them and didn't know how you could quote without having the pics come along for the ride. can someone ellucidate this topic?

Just go through the quote and delete the pics... goto a thread with pics and quote a post with some pics in it... you will see the pic tags. :) They are the [/B] tags.

Gary

...also... why does everybody also leave the "pic tags" in when they quote? So we get the same pics..................................edit gary here.........

Gary

This can be frustrating specialy on a slower connection. some of my bucket pics are around 150 kb but some are 600 kb. image size aprox 800x1200.

good to see but tougher to load.

We ALL HAVE THE PREVIEW OPTION when qouting. trial and error..

start at the bottom pic address and then backspace up to were it is in context to your reply. leave qoute sign at bottom and top and your good.

also great to edit out extra text too, like I did here..

Gary

I JUST HATE IT TOO :spam: :buttkick: :dizzy:

I'm with you Gary! Some of these threads get so cluttered with repeated #### they're annoying to read. Unless I'm responding to something a ways back in the thread I just address the person I'm responding to by their screen name. I also delete the pics unless I'm have something to say specifically about them.

Yep, +1 what Gary said, particularly regarding quoting pics in a thread.

Quite a few of us world wide (remember, this is the www) are still stuck on dial up, so the pic heavy threads are a pain, to the point you just close the tab or window and give that thread a miss.

Anyone that's seen me quote will notice I edit them and use [snip] tags to indicate where I've cut.
As Brad said, it gives everyone a better idea of what you are talking about or referring to.

I'm not on dialup but am lazy and don't like having to scroll through half a page of pics I've already seen to get to the new comment.

If a comment is directly related to one of the images, I'll select that one and snip out the others.

A bigger peave of mine are quotes like this one...

...where the quoted member is not named and - if I care enough about the thread - I have to go back hunting to see who wrote the quoted passage.

Quite a few of us world wide (remember, this is the www) are still stuck on dial up, so the pic heavy threads are a pain, to the point you just close the tab or window and give that thread a miss.

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

Kevin

Gary

Gary

Gary

Gary

Gary

Gary

Gary

Gary

What is a quote?

Latest posts

Back