Race chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if I'd call it race chain, but here's some GTG chain I made.
John

sq7.jpg

C19.jpg

c8.jpg

C9.jpg

sq3.jpg

cutterR.jpg

And some basic round filed.

G23.jpg

Nice pics John! I see you're putting a slight top beak on some chains, not on others. Some say that it's faster in soft wood where It can survive. What do you think?

John, it does not take a lot of reading of the kids posts to pick out who the cull is... LOL

056 kid
Arboristsite MVP

Speaking of bees. I was throwing rocks at a bald faced hornets nest while boss man was pushing a new landing last summer. Maybe 25 yds away. So i hit the stick that the nest was hanging off a few times and got them all revved up, a few minutes later i chucked a rock and one of those bastards came right at me, following the trajectory of the rock i guess. I saw him coming @ about 15 yds but he was coming too fast. Got me right in my nose. I looked like some sort of baboon man for the next hour or so..

Learned a lesson, just cause you are not close to the bees dosent mean they cant still hone in on you!

If one throws rocks at a hornets nest they should expect to get stung. I'd pretty much add that one up to karma, arsing off while the boss was working.

Nice pics John! I see you're putting a slight top beak on some chains, not on others. Some say that it's faster in soft wood where It can survive. What do you think?

You mean the beak on the top plate??? I don't know if its faster but it sure doesn't hang around long.
John adjusted or advanced the chain not far enough forward so the wheel hits under neath the top plate.It happens very easily and I've done it a million times.
Also all the race chain I've seen has a more aggressive side plate/top plate angle.

If I can explain myself properly, the "line" where the side plate and top plate angle meets should be more steep, downward.So if it was a file, tip your top hand up.
Grinders have to modified to do this or it starts grinding into the pawls and connector links.Mine are severely marked from the previous owner, Jokers.

Okay maybe I've put a few scratches in it

That round filed looks aggressive and think it would cut well.

I keep hearing references to 'chip clearance'. What would be a symptom of inadequate chip clearance?

I've assumed that a chain filling up with chips would not allow the cutters to do their job, so would a symptom be an increase in chain speed without a increase in cutting speed?

Is there more to the chip clearance issue, perhaps directing the chips away from the cutters?

I keep hearing references to 'chip clearance'. What would be a symptom of inadequate chip clearance?

I've assumed that a chain filling up with chips would not allow the cutters to do their job, so would a symptom be an increase in chain speed without a increase in cutting speed?

Is there more to the chip clearance issue, perhaps directing the chips away from the cutters?
Low gullets and yes directing the chip in upward (were upside down now) direction to keep the cutter clear.

OK, so is there a symptom during the cutting that would give an indication of poor chip clearance?

OK, so is there a symptom during the cutting that would give an indication of poor chip clearance?
Yes the chain loads up.
How do they cure that, I'm not sure because it has never happened to me.

I don't own a fast enough saw to have that problem. I've heard of the racers having to lift the saw a touch to clear the chips

Last edited:

My expirience has been that the saw stops feeding into the wood like it should. A chain that is clearing out good will respond instantly to changes in how hard you're pushing or pulling. The link between the saw's rpm and the operator's ear is the chain.

I have a little different take on some of this but don't have enough experience or confidence to chime in.
I know there are guys out there sitting on a lot of knowledge but understand if they don't wanna share it.
I have an untouched loop of CL used to compare my work chain with .I think
it might be faster than stock just by removeing some slag at the back of the gullet.
This is a good thread and I hope it continues.

Latest posts

Back