Race chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Embrace my ignorance on the topic, but what classifies a "race chain"? Pictures would helpful.
Are they out of the box chains that have been specially sharpened and lightened?
I'm getting interested in competition cutting and just trying to get a feel of what's what.

chain weight

How much weight can one expect to reduce when building a race chain? I weighed a stock 60dl lg chain = 10.2 oz or 290g, one that I am working on is down to 8.4oz or 238g but I have more to remove. Wondering how importain weight reduction is?
I know getting info on racechain is like asking the CIA for secret access codes

How much weight can one expect to reduce when building a race chain? I weighed a stock 60dl lg chain = 10.2 oz or 290g, one that I am working on is down to 8.4oz or 238g but I have more to remove. Wondering how importain weight reduction is?
I know getting info on racechain is like asking the CIA for secret access codes

There used to be a lot of talk about reducing weight in a race chain. From what I have learned in the last few years IMO that's just a little bull that got slung. Anything you do to a chain is going to reduce the weight some, but I don't think the weight reduction alone is going to do anything for you. Look instead at chip capacity, and finding a way to make it easier to keep the chain speed up.

Andy

There used to be a lot of talk about reducing weight in a race chain. From what I have learned in the last few years IMO that's just a little bull that got slung. Anything you do to a chain is going to reduce the weight some, but I don't think the weight reduction alone is going to do anything for you. Look instead at chip capacity, and finding a way to make it easier to keep the chain speed up.

Andy
Thanks red, another question, once you build a racechain, how many times do you use it, 1 event or more & do you touch it up after each run? What type of chain do you think is the best to start out with, brand, type?

Latest posts

Back