Rampant saw abuse!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BloodOnTheIce

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I use to work as a line cook I use to throw pans all the time. I wouldn't throw a saw since I have too much time invested in getting them running well to flip out and toss it down a gully in a hissy fit.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
The insurance thing is what I thought of too. Then I figured it was just staged anyway and really didn't make much difference. You can only show so many logs getting pulled up a hill normally. Got to put a twist in it somehow.

True about the cheap logging gear. Every few years. This was a pretty long run.

Mark

Yah, I have to wonder how much is staged. I see yarding operations all the time around here (well, I did, few are working now). But they seem to be pretty mellow as work crews (ones I have met) and take the break downs with a matter of fact shrug. Crews here work pretty fast too, and they get the logs down and off the hills pretty fast. I would like to see a typical yarding operation, rather than odd-ball blow-down cutting with a few hot heads and whacky used Sherman tank type equipment. Also the fake conpetion with logging truckloads at the end of the show. Like they are in race to see who can log the most trees? Pretty weird and meaningless. It is not like the Ice Road where more loads has bragging rights and direct money for the drivers (though even that show pushes the competition thing more than it really is up there in Yellowknife). I would rather have a crew of 5 bring in say, 20 trucks of logs than a crew of 100 bringing in 200 trucks.

The map they use is pretty weird too. They have Venronia there, and highway 26, but not highway 8. They are also missing Banks, and Hillsboro on 26. They want to make it seem like they are way out there in the boonies, when in reality they are logging less than an hour from Portland. I can get from Idiot Creek to my brother's place near the 217 freeway in about 45 minutes. I have done a lot of off-roading up in there. It is remote, but in proximity to a lot of urban sprawl. We are a lot more remote here, more than an hour out of Eugene.

Long run is right. I had never seen logging as good as it was here 3 years ago... in my entire life. I was born in Oregon in the 50's, and it was always a recession most of the time up here through the 90's. But this last run, EVERY mill here was cranking full blast, and logs were rolling out of here 7 days a week. I have never seen it that good. This is more typical now. Looks like it is going to stay more or less this way thiough at least 2009 too. My brother and I posted several questions to Stump Branch after a show 2 weeks ago asking if they were working on anything now, and they avoided answering it. We presume thet the answer is no... or they are doing light stuff. Some logs are rolling around here, mostly for export out of Coos Bay. Asia is still steaming along, economically.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
No Big Deal it was only a old stihl........ They make new ones on mondays and fridays lol. As far as Browning Jr. being upset and throwing the saw it was because while bumping knots he ran the chain into the dirt..... Maybe hes not tall enough to run a West Coast Long Bar / Full Wrap Yet...... if he had a 24" or so like a normal cutter he would have missed the dirt and the saw would have stihl been able to bump knots.

Just my .02

And on the OCC tidbit Vinnie and Cody both left the show and have started thier own shop down the street. Called V??? Something like that.

Scott

Yah, agreed on the Stihl bashing. I use a 361 or smaller saw on that stuff. He has a 660 there for that? Also I use Stihl RM chain... dulls a lot less in dirt. But these guys are not on AS! they do not know these things...

As for Cody and Vinnie, I saw the show where Vinnie quit. Makes sence. Why should he put up with all that crap going on there? I hope that they do well. They Tutles are impoding without him. They are all famous TV stars now and too busy to work on custom bikes. No one has any ideas, and Senior is hiring people out of the blue. And they are builing some new larger shop there? Overextended... well, Senior can always fall back on the iron business that the other son/brother has been managing. That was where the money came from for the custom bike shop.

Sprig

Sprig

Addicted to ArboristSite
Welp, now you guys have gone and ruined it fer me, my delusions is shattered, here I thought 'Gee, an interestin' show about loggers.', and now it just sounds like a disfunctional logging soap-opera. For some silly dumbazzed reason I thought it was a documentary, what the heck was me thinking? :bang: :bang:
On the bright side, a buddy gave me a pile of his old videos and low-&-behold, at the bottom of the box covered in dust and dog snot, a near new copy of the classic 'Sometimes a Great Notion' with Paul Newman and Lee Remick, been about 25yrs since I saw it last, maybe time ta crack a jug and give it another go, see how far I can get before I does my famous 'movie-sleep'. Hm, probably end up watching Southpark though :greenchainsaw:

:cheers: All!

Serge

stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
066+hill=bad

I've said this before....but I was logging with my buddy one time and he just got his 066 back from being repaired at my dealer, and he went to start it when he got in the woods, and it wouldn't. So he whipped it as hard as he could down the hill and the saw prolly end-over-ended 15 times. He went back and got the saw later and it started on the 3rd pull...lol:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

chrispy6822

chrispy6822

ArboristSite Operative
Senior can always fall back on the iron business that the other son/brother has been managing. That was where the money came from for the custom bike shop.

I doubt that. From what little I hear the steel business was failing and in heavy debt, and was never a profitable entity. The government dragged them into court for cooking the books to acquire more debt. Plus their refusal to use union workers on their new world headquarters, spells doom for any steel business, whether you agree on unions or not. Hard to run a steel business without union support.

Last edited:
slowp
Well, they have to do something. Otherwise you'd just see logs going up the hill, or being felled pretty much the same way every episode, get really bored and the show would be cancelled. I noticed the two cutters showing off on the last one. They cut about 20 feet apart trying to get their trees sychronized, I guess. I've never seen that done. I've also never seen actual jamming done, just heard about it. That was interesting. A guy was killed down in the brush last year in Idaho though when he got hit by the tongs. They used to log that way in Eastern Warshington and the old roads scars are there today. I think the filming company started to realize they weren't going to get to film much longer and was trying to stretch it out. We'll see soon.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
I doubt that. From what little I hear the steal business was failing and in heavy debt, and was never a profitable entity. The government dragged them into court for cooking the books to acquire more debt. Plus their refusal to use union workers on their new world headquarters, spells doom for any steel business, whether you agree on unions or not. Hard to run a steel business without union support.

Wow, last I saw (few years ago), the iron works were doing well. That is how they spun off the bike business. But it makes sence. Fame has gone to these people's heads, and they were never brought up or educated on what to do with fame or wealth. Mikey is a classic example. He probably spends twice what he makes. Cannot be bothered to get out of bed in the morning. Its just too hard... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Non-union... now, there is a can of worms. The empire is crumbeling, and they are still busy bashing doors down and going to Brazil to present motorcycles to presidents like they are foreign dignitaries or something. The commercials and endorsements alone must be in the tens of millions for each of them though. Probably all spent on mansions and trips and bad investments though. Tisk tisk.

chrispy6822

chrispy6822

ArboristSite Operative
Wow, last I saw (few years ago), the iron works were doing well. That is how they spun off the bike business. But it makes sence. Fame has gone to these people's heads, and they were never brought up or educated on what to do with fame or wealth. Mikey is a classic example. He probably spends twice what he makes. Cannot be bothered to get out of bed in the morning. Its just too hard... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Here is one of the articles :

http://www.brainbucketmag.com/News/article/sid=1891.html

From what I can gather the Iron Works business never made any money and was in high debit to the tune of $1.3mil that they got away with by filing bankruptcy. $1.3 mil in debit that filed against the bankruptcy probably means $2mil in real debt that the screwed people over (small time vendors who wrote it off etc...) Seems like they played with the numbers, bankruptcy etc........ to get out of a lot of debt and protect a losing enterprise.

I have read elsewhere but not sure where , that the Iron works operated on borrowed money and never turned a profit, but do not quote me on that.

Between the "We like to help charities" BS and the failing Iron Works business OCC is nothing more then glorified con men. If Paul Sr was such a good business man that gave back to the community then he would surely have it documented in his tax forms. I am sure they are not there.

I peg them as most lottery winners. They will be broke in 5 to 10 years. Easy come easy go.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
I peg them as most lottery winners. They will be broke in 5 to 10 years. Easy come easy go.

Yep. I see that a lot. Trailer trash wins millions, goes bust in less than a year. There was a show on this a while back, now cancelled. Too real I guess? Most people get divorced fast, buy crap, get conned in investment schemes, get hit by any relatives within 10th cousins and basically blow all their money.

Not unlike the basketball stars, that spend 2x what they make. Or like M.C. Hammer. I was living in the south bay (San Jose area) when they auctioned off his mansion in Milpitas. He even did a spoof TV ad about it. His enterage cost him a fortune, and he is math challanged.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie

Looks like typical big construction to me. I used to know the CEO of Tudor Construction in the SF Bay Area (they are building the new extention to the Bay Bridge), and they are always involved in unfair hiring lawsuits, union disputes, fair trade practices, racial disputes, bidding issues, credit and payment issues, and all kinds of building issues. It seems to be pandemic of public works in that segment of industry. Its a shell game, yes. Often times these companies are liable for more than they are worth. Many times they are sued just to delay payments of contracts. So my read is that they did make money... at one time anyway.

But it makes sence, and these guys probably spend a fair amount of time in court, and in law offices. I saw an episode of the show where Mikey wanted a contract with his father for working at OCC, and had a legal team draw up papers for a new contract for a basic 40 hour a week job. Talk about insane. He spends most of his time in bars from what I gleened.

Anyway, come a time when Vinnie's biz is still going, and they are all bust. He was the only steady work horse amung them all.

Latest posts