"RAT-ROD" SAW ... does it exist?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlNAlberta

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So as the talons of Old Man Winter set in up here in the Great White North, one tends to keep himself busy in the shop. :dizzy:

I thought I would put it out there to see if any AS Members had put together the ultimate "Rat Rod" Chainsaw.

I'm talking something created from spare parts, welded and fabricated, grinder down, brand name or not, redneck, hi-tech, low-tech, no pretty paint jobs, MacGyver rigs, blown, nitro methane, low compression runners, flame shooters, ghetto, flat black, no holds barred, camo, or just plane down and dirty.

Pictures or no pictures, whatever works or works together to create this Bad Ass no holds barred WOOD CUTTING MACHINE!!

Cheers to all!!

:rock:

Hayabusa?? Now were talking. Guess I forgot to mention 4 stroker, 2 stroker, big/small bore, v6, v10, Asian import mod., or good ol USA/Canadian muscle. LOL.

Diesel? Propane? Plutonium?

:popcorn:

Here's my most recent one

266SE bottom end

268 Open port top end

IMG_20121111_102859.jpg

272 muffler

IMG_20121111_152225.jpg

Top cover wouldnt fit

IMG_20121111_152207.jpg

Problem solved

IMG_20121114_113231.jpg

Cool! Camo, now that is something I haven't seen. I may have to see what it would take to "mossy oak" a McC 10-10! That would be too cool:rock:

Man that MAC is purdee. Man that is some nice looking work!
Nothin ratty about that.

I have been around a bit, just not a stihl fan, though I do have an 075. Is that factory camo? Or a custom job? Looks real FINE!!

Here's my most recent one

266SE bottom end

268 Open port top end

IMG_20121111_102859.jpg

272 muffler

IMG_20121111_152225.jpg

Top cover wouldnt fit

IMG_20121111_152207.jpg

Problem solved

IMG_20121114_113231.jpg

I got the same thing going right now.Yours looks much better though.It's my Uncles saw.took it completely apart the other day 5 times making sure I got everything right. and the darn thing won't run.I think the carb is totally worn out or it could be the windsor Branded kit I put in it.:msp_confused:
Nice Looking Saws here.:rock:

Mine is a 372 I purchase I made on ebay a few years ago The sale was of a miss mash of 372 series parts and a case. The crank was said to be no good because of a chip on the clutch side.

After inspection I realized I could weld the chip to keep the lock ring from popping out. The case gasket did not tear while splitting and I had some quality used bearings and seals for the rebuild. A smear of non hardening gasket sealer along the case gasket had me rolling a saw back together with fine used bearings and seals. For less than a $100.00 I built a nice 372. With the low cost I decided to take a risk and port it to what I thought was max for a woods saw. I even had a used cylinder gasket to throw in after I turned the base down on my lathe.

Turns out this saw is a damn good runner and my main cutter. Not bad for a box of junk and a bad crank.

Mine is a 372 I purchase I made on ebay a few years ago The sale was of a miss mash of 372 series parts and a case. The crank was said to be no good because of a chip on the clutch side.

After inspection I realized I could weld the chip to keep the lock ring from popping out. The case gasket did not tear while splitting and I had some quality used bearings and seals for the rebuild. A smear of non hardening gasket sealer along the case gasket had me rolling a saw back together with fine used bearings and seals. For less than a $100.00 I built a nice 372. With the low cost I decided to take a risk and port it to what I thought was max for a woods saw. I even had a used cylinder gasket to throw in after I turned the base down on my lathe.

Turns out this saw is a damn good runner and my main cutter. Not bad for a box of junk and a bad crank.
It sounds "pic worthy", does it really exist?:msp_wink:

Lee, Barneyrb, Madhatte .... Those saws are awesome!! Especially that gear drive McCulloch Lee!! That is off the hook!!

I have a weathered old 066 flat top sitting around maybe I could incorporate some of these ideas.

Love the v/stack k&n idea!!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back