razor sharp chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would work fine in Sugar Maple, and Ash. Square ground chain doesnt like dirt (it's not as bad as some let on). It is intended to cut clean wood.

Andy
Andy. Thanks again for your input and information. I sure am grateful and am wanting to learn more about square sharpening.
OK! Next. I have a Tecomec 136 grinding machine that I use to sharpen my saw chains with. I have a 1/4 flat grinding wheel for depth gauges, and a grinding wheel for sharpening 3/8 and .404 pitch chains.
Will I be able to Square Grind my chains with it? If so, who do I set the machine for doing this?
From your picture you posted for me last night, I'm very interested in trying this technique of sharpening. I use Laser's Semi Chisel Chains, and Chisel Chains.
Presently I sharpen my chains at 30 degree angle, and the power head is tilted at 60 degrees. I'm looking forward to trying to sharpen a chain this way, too see how it works.
I really appreciate the help and advise you have given me this far.
Thanks again. Bruce.

No, you can't sharpen square on a regular grinder. The least expensive grinder that will work is around $700.00 new. You won't be able to sharpen semi-chisel chain square either. Your best bet (if you want to try it) would be to order a new chain, and a file. Bailey's has both, and are sponsor's here.

Andy

I'd like to have a set too... if you had a few made up. loads of us would be interested..

Here are the pictures of the modifcation.

the parts

and installed

Later,
I have a sharpener from Oregon, that takes round, and 3 cornered files. What would you charge for making up a set like you have. Also I have an Automatic Foley 200 Filer Machine, for sharpening hand saws. I wonder if a person could use it for sharpening saw chains.
Thanks. Bruce.

Nice. Who made them?

Fred
Mike Buck is a good friend of mine, he did most of the machining.

Fred, everboby,

I think I can get these made for app $75.00+-? What we need to do is get Oregon to make them, it be alot cheaper. That is the only reason I made them, Stihl 041S and I are working on a better jig for myself (ol skool all metal nygran), but I made these to give to Oregon if there was some intrest. Fred, I know you have seen this design before in another forum, Dennis Cahoon has a filing jig that was used by Martin Hedrick a Hayward World Hotsaw Champion in the 60's very much like this one, it's proven and it works. Yall keep bringing Oregon engineer's att to it and keep bumbing up the thread in the chainsaw forum, maybe we can make it happen. If you had rather just get me to have some made, I'll do it (the $75.00+- was a guess) but I think we can bring it to market alot cheaper. It's a good idea and I want everyone to benifit.

Like I said, I only made this one to try to get someone to copy it and I'll donate it to see it done.

Later,

Fred, everboby,

I think I can get these made for app $75.00+-? What we need to do is get Oregon to make them, it be alot cheaper. That is the only reason I made them, Stihl 041S and I are working on a better jig for myself (ol skool all metal nygran), but I made these to give to Oregon if there was some intrest. Fred, I know you have seen this design before in another forum, Dennis Cahoon has a filing jig that was used by Martin Hedrick a Hayward World Hotsaw Champion in the 60's very much like this one, it's proven and it works. Yall keep bringing Oregon engineer's att to it and keep bumbing up the thread in the chainsaw forum, maybe we can make it happen. If you had rather just get me to have some made, I'll do it (the $75.00+- was a guess) but I think we can bring it to market alot cheaper. It's a good idea and I want everyone to benifit.

Like I said, I only made this one to try to get someone to copy it and I'll donate it to see it done.

Later,

It's not Oregon, but I have a buddy that owns a company that does ALOT of government contracts. He has 4 Mityuno (???) workstations. The CNC mills with 5 stations in them. Real production pieces.

He could tell us the brass tacks on cost.

Fred

If there were just enough done for here and Bailey's I think that would be a start.

Fred

Fred, everboby,

Later,
They sure look like a nifty Idea. I am going to study this Foley Filer Machine I bought over ebay, and see how I can adapt chainsaw bar to it, and sharpen my chains with it. The file holder can be turned 360 degrees as well. The machine can be adjusted for 30 degree angles, and the file can be set at 10 degrees as well. It is desined for all types hand saws, and also can file circular saw blades as well.

Carlton Chain Saw Chains.

Has anybody on this forum, ever used Carlton Chain Saw Chains? If so, how well did they stand up? I have only used Laser Chain Saw Chains, and I was wondering how they compare to Laser, or Oregon Chain Saw Chains?
I am considering buying the EP, A1 Semi Chisel Chain.
All your help, and input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your advice. Bruce.

Has anybody on this forum, ever used Carlton Chain Saw Chains? If so, how well did they stand up? I have only used Laser Chain Saw Chains, and I was wondering how they compare to Laser, or Oregon Chain Saw Chains?
I am considering buying the EP, A1 Semi Chisel Chain.
All your help, and input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your advice. Bruce.

Yea, what they said, PLUS Stihl holds the edge the best (it has thicker chrome) Carlton/Woodland pro and Oregon are good Chains and a little easier to sharpen, most "Experts" and racers use Carlton/Woodland pro or Oregon, good, cheap and you can get a sharper edge with them because of the thinner chrome.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to have a set too... if you had a few made up. loads of us would be interested..

I could have it done BUT, anybody can take these pictures and have them done at their local machine shop these are the parts and this is them installed.

It would be a far better idea if one of our sponsers, or Sthil, Oregon, Carlton ect ect. would take this idea and mass produce it, I'm sure they could do it for a 10th of what I can do it for and make a nicer job of it (it would be nice to have degree markes on the part that holds the file). It's two parts and everyone would need two of each plus the fact their is so many of these guides out there, just seems like a good idea to me.

It's not Oregon, but I have a buddy that owns a company that does ALOT of government contracts. He has 4 Mityuno (???) workstations. The CNC mills with 5 stations in them. Real production pieces.

He could tell us the brass tacks on cost.

Fred

Fred, if you or anyone else can come up with a plan to mass produce this, just let me know and I'll send it to you too check out.

For me just to have the four parts cut out with the water jet it's close to $100.00 then their is a little machining + drill and tap for the six bolts.

Later,

Last edited:
Chisel bit files..

Red or someone who can answer, back on page 2 red posted A pic of A chain that looks like he used A SaveEdge flat chisel bit file.
I've been playin around with A 3 sided file, but can't get that groove that goes out to the chisel point. How important is that groove and will it cut good without it, Here's A pic. of what i've done to A chain so far.

I dont want to waste the money if that saveedge file is'nt worth it...
This chain is not A full chisel but I wanted to practice before tackling A new full chisel chain.
Any ideas, opinions on my chain are very appreciated!

Test run

Well the chain did'nt cut much faster than A stock one, I suspect that A full chisel would do better but I am still courious to hear what others have to say about the profile I put on the cutters..

What kind of a tri angle file are you using? The top plate looks too blunt to be effective, like a round filed chain with too high a position on the tooth. The side cutter has lots of hook but also appears to blunt compared to Redprospectors. The sharp notch at the bottom of side cutter and floor of the gullet is not good for material flow. The groove on the inside at the intersection of side and top cutter is very important. There are two chisel bit files that will provide this; the flat one with two wide and four narrow cutting panels and the trinagular ont that actually has three wide and three narrow cutting panels. In both cases it is one of the narrow panels that forms the side cutter of the chain. A semi chisel chain which yours appears to be cannot be chisel bit filed with a proper working corner. Only the top 1/16" or so of the side cutter really does any cutting.
Attached a few pictures that may answer some questions. I cant figure out what you are doing with what you call a triangular file.

I see..

Okay now those are the files I saw on SaveEdge, I was curious about the flat chisel file they have.
I used A 3 sided file on that chain and obviously could not get the correct profile. I really appreciate the pic of how to hold the flat file, thats just what I was looking for. Would you suddgest A round or 6 side file for the gullet?
I know I'll be using A flat chisel for the cutting edge now.

Thanks!

comparing

I compared the photo of mine to red's..

Mine IS very blunt, has no gullet, and because of the 3 sided file I could not get A channel in the side of the cutter, I beginning to wonder if A flat or 6 sided file would be easier to use.

Also the pic of reds chain I see the top and side but cannot tell what is going on with the gullet, is he using A round file on the gullet or the 6 sided file.

Ya know, you guys could make A pretty penny on an instructional video!

Okay now those are the files I saw on SaveEdge, I was curious about the flat chisel file they have.
I used A 3 sided file on that chain and obviously could not get the correct profile. I really appreciate the pic of how to hold the flat file, thats just what I was looking for. Would you suddgest A round or 6 side file for the gullet?
I know I'll be using A flat chisel for the cutting edge now.

Thanks!

A small round file; 5/32 or 1/8 as the picture below.

for sharpening the cutter (and it has to be a chisel chain with sharp cornered tooth, not semi chisel with rounded corner) some people prefer the roughly triangular file which is the top one. The one on the right is what I prefer as sharper angles can be had without hitting tie straps or raker. The round edged file on the left is the goofy file. do a search on goofy file .

Back