Real.... Or...fake???>>>>>>>

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that looks like a fake for sure - jungle muffler, dodgy throttle cable, etc. and that serial number sounds familiar, i think my copy might have the same number on it...

Yes, that serial number sounds familiar! :D

The tube muffler could just mean it originally was made for the European (or other non-US) market though. ;)

I'll give you fifty bucks for it Matt, could make a nice ground saw with a short bar.

Getting my 038QS tomorrow too, might be needing a bar and some chains but havent decided what to run on it yet. I'm thinking I need another big saw, but havent seen any nice/cheap 660's :-( r a nice cheap 090 :)

Grabbed another blower today too, if you've in the market for a basic one The BG56 has $100 off it at the moment (aus only). They're normally $350 but they're down to $249inc. Not sure if it's aus wide and all stihl dealers, but I think so. I got mine at Sydney tools, and they're running out the door. This isnt a big blower, but we use them on our trucks and they're pretty good and reliable.

Shaun

? no muffler on that one?? NO EARMUFFS or PLUGS??

don't you have a 3120, Matt?? ::confused2: DUUUUHHHH...LOL!!

That's what ya get!! :poke:

I wear my plugs when grinding ANYTHING or when running JUST ABOUT ANY saw... (fine, not always for quick tuning... )

hmm.. bleeding? uh oh. :clap:

16.7k YIKES!

I'm ABSOLUTELY sure with a LOAD on it, it would have failed in SOME shape or form... FREE reving is NOTHING like building heat underload... BUT, would be louder WITH a load on it...

I gotta say, I do wonder what will fail 1st...I'm gonna say, like most, the heat in the top end will approach, or reach Alum melting temperature (1100deg F, or so, IIRC... )

I was only joking about my ears bleeding but this thing at those revs was quite piercing and it does have a muffler :) Although I can't say what will happen next time round and despite the obviously cheap build quality the actual mechanical side of things on this saw is built quite tough. As much as I hate it this POS actually runs and pulls WAY better than I thought it ever would.

I'll give you fifty bucks for it Matt, could make a nice ground saw with a short bar.

Getting my 038QS tomorrow too, might be needing a bar and some chains but havent decided what to run on it yet. I'm thinking I need another big saw, but havent seen any nice/cheap 660's :-( r a nice cheap 090 :)

Grabbed another blower today too, if you've in the market for a basic one The BG56 has $100 off it at the moment (aus only). They're normally $350 but they're down to $249inc. Not sure if it's aus wide and all stihl dealers, but I think so. I got mine at Sydney tools, and they're running out the door. This isnt a big blower, but we use them on our trucks and they're pretty good and reliable.

Shaun

Nah I'd have to pay you to take it Shaun ;)

The blower I just ordered is this one STIHL - BG 86 Easy2Start

Should be good as my $69 Talon blower from Big W just ain't cutting it.

The blower I just ordered is this one STIHL - BG 86 Easy2Start

I never have got my head around the difference between the 56/66/86. I'm pretty sure they share a common engine, and are all pretty close in weight. I'm fairly sure the 66 is exactly the same as the 56 except it has a different nozzle with a chamber on it to make it quieter and slightly better AV. The 66 is more expensive but puts out less air.

The 86 puts out a little more than the other two, but has much faster air speed and weighs 300g more. I'm thinking it's the same engine as the others but slightly pimped for a higher RPM or a little different in the internals of the blower.... I think the extra air speed just comes from the different nozzle. The 86 is nearly double the price of the 56 though...

Shaun

When you rudely refused to take my call today I was going to suggest filling it up with the best fuel you can find. eg, raid dear old Dad's model plane stash ;)

A bit of Nitromethane would be just dandy, then film it :D

... the obviously cheap build quality the actual mechanical side of things on this saw is built quite tough. As much as I hate it this POS actually runs and pulls WAY better than I thought it ever would.

Well, then they REALLY do, do a GOOD job of re-popping the parts then...good to know.

hmmm..

just goes to show what 25k RPM rated bearings might stand up to with little lube... :dizzy:

J

Come on MCW, don't straight gas it. Give the thing a chance.
You are my hero but don't give it a straight shot. The poor thing deserves a fighting chance.
Looking back at the video, I would drain the bar oil out. It looked like she was squirting a good stream out!

Ran the whole seizing scenario past a mate today who has similar business to mine interstate. He's buying it for $100 so apologies guys. I was hoping to blow the crap out of it. Don't stress though, I'll still do it sometime to another Chinese saw. I might even put a 65cc top end back on one of my Chinese 365 copies at some stage and have a crack at it. They have the BB kits fitted at present.

Ran the whole seizing scenario past a mate today who has similar business to mine interstate. He's buying it for $100 so apologies guys. I was hoping to blow the crap out of it. Don't stress though, I'll still do it sometime to another Chinese saw. I might even put a 65cc top end back on one of my Chinese 365 copies at some stage and have a crack at it. They have the BB kits fitted at present.

Okay, but you still owe us a video of extreme abuse of a Chi-com saw... :)

Might is must... :D

Well,

Mr. 'I had my saw looked at by the local Stihl shop for $80, and they said it's like brand new' is striking again:

stihl 038 magnum 2 chainsaw - eBay (item 290550425090 end time Mar-31-11 16:33:52 PDT)

Feedback (check out the last 038 mag II he supposedly sold :angry:

eBay Feedback Profile for grub3000

someone needs to stop this guy!!

Why does someone need to stop this guy? Do we know the full story about the last 038 he sold? no. Is it necessarily our business? no. Is America still a free country? yes.

An educated consumer holds all the power. Let those that choose to buy his equipment take the time to educate themselves and then make their own decision.

Why does someone need to stop this guy? Do we know the full story about the last 038 he sold? no. Is it necessarily our business? no. Is America still a free country? yes.

An educated consumer holds all the power. Let those that choose to buy his equipment take the time to educate themselves and then make their own decision.

hmm.. I'd agree with your general thought process, BUT he is misrepresenting a product, or NOT telling the whole story...

why would it need updated plastics, and a muffler if it was in a 'display case'??

I suppose what I wrote should have been typed to say: 'This guy really needs to stop falsely advertising his saws...'

take a peek at some of his PAST auctions....:rolleyes:

take a peek at some of his PAST auctions....:rolleyes:

I did take a peek, when you first brought this up. I do agree, something stinks in Smallville. Here's the thing however- you and I haven't done business with him. So therefore, we don't have a personal beef with this guy. So the proper thing to do in that instance is to point out the inconsistencies that may be occurring with his auctions and let it rest at that. People can make up their own minds.

Well,

Mr. 'I had my saw looked at by the local Stihl shop for $80, and they said it's like brand new' is striking again:

stihl 038 magnum 2 chainsaw - eBay (item 290550425090 end time Mar-31-11 16:33:52 PDT)

Feedback (check out the last 038 mag II he supposedly sold :angry:

eBay Feedback Profile for grub3000

someone needs to stop this guy!!

Well, he got his first Neg... Looks like feedback is doing the job that its supposed to do for once. Too bad it doesn't always work this way. :msp_wink:

Lots of sellers who are honest and try their best to please sometimes still get bagged with a neg.:msp_rolleyes:

Last edited:
.... People can make up their own minds.

JJ, I gotta disagree with you there... :jester: YOU DAM* well know that doesn't happen very often!!

I suppose I'm a bit biased...I have a NICE 038 mag II that I've taken good care of, and is in good shape. I KNOW what the deal is internally... and it's not as pretty as this saw, and wouldn't bring as much $$... WHO KNOWS what's inside THIS saw?? :confused:

Well, he got his first Neg... Looks like feedback is doing the job that its supposed to do for once. Too bad it doesn't always work this way. :msp_wink:

Lots of sellers who are honest and try their best to please sometimes still get bagged with a neg.:msp_rolleyes:

Yeah, TELL me about it!!

UGH.

Old post I know but hopefully some can tune in.
Iv been looking at a few 038 just recently.
Did the older 038 mags have pop riveted badges and red switch levers?
And did the newer have no pop riveted badges and black switch levers?

Latest posts

Back