Real.... Or...fake???>>>>>>>

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's definetly nt original as the guy claims. I don't thinkt they had that top badge and the magnum sticker together. It should have had the magnum on the badge with the 038av. The 038s with the magnum sticker had the plain 038 badge like the later ones.
Something don't add up and The AV mounts look strange to me. My first guess is FAKE!
To add to that, I'm getting sicko of seeing these fake poser saws for sale everywhere. I tell ya, the police need to get involved. It looks to me turning into the norm, rather than the exception on Ebay.
I think the guy took a fake, changed the top cover, and put Magnum sticker on it. JMO

Fake.

The AV buffer caps are in the wrong places , the wrong screws are being used in the Buffer caps, The gas and oil caps don't match, The gas tank seam isn't bonded/welded that way by Stihl.
I cant tell for sure, but the t27 torx head screws throughout the saw look wrong (they almost look like allen heads to me), and the starter bushing looks wrong/missing as well, where is the UL Decal on the tank if this saw is so new? Something's funky with the area where you adjust the carb, I've never seen a setup like that.
Its a Fake.:angry:

How easy it to fool an untrained eye like mine; I would have gone with the real deal just a bit cosmetic in it.

Absolutely a fake! I 've had a couple of 038 mags and one I built from the crankcase up and there are a lot of things not right with this one. That gas tank is the biggest tell. The carb adjuster holes are in the wrong place and that hole on the tank behind were the wrap handle mounts is not supposed to be there. Originals had a moulded in circle that looked like a hole that never got punched out at the factory. Never seen one with a actual hole there, 038,038 super, or 038 mag, or mag 2.

I suspect a fake because I have a Chinese 038 copy in my shed myself. Mine came with no Stihl logos or stickers but the saw in the linked eBay auction, particularly the starter cover, looks just as cheap, shiny, and cheesey as the one I have.
Oh, and the serial numbers mean diddley as they are copying those as well...

I cant tell for sure, but the t27 torx head screws throughout the saw look wrong (they almost look like allen heads to me)

Well spotted. My 038 copy has allen headed bolts with a slot for a flathead screwdriver incorporated into the screw. It's a piece of sh*t but gets used a bit on jobs like digging holes etc...

Last edited:
Whats really bad is, some innocent , hard working man, will end up paying that price thinking he's getting a mint 038 mag. :bang:

It's getting rediculous. Something has to be done about the copyright infringment.

That's a heavy shovel.

I suspect a fake because I have a Chinese 038 copy in my shed myself. Mine came with no Stihl logos or stickers but the saw in the linked eBay auction, particularly the starter cover, looks just as cheap, shiny, and cheesey as the one I have.
Oh, and the serial numbers mean diddley as they are copying those as well...

Well spotted. My 038 copy has allen headed bolts with a slot for a flathead screwdriver incorporated into the screw. It's a piece of sh*t but gets used a bit on jobs like digging holes etc...

That's a heavy shovel.

Sadly it runs really well but vibrates like mad and is just cheap, cheap, and more cheap. Actually I hardly use it, I don't want people throwing rocks at me down the street :)
It's one of those saws I may just lean out on video until it blows up. That'd be fun, right up until it disappears in a mushroom cloud and takes my leg off...

Wear chaps.

Sadly it runs really well but vibrates like mad and is just cheap, cheap, and more cheap. Actually I hardly use it, I don't want people throwing rocks at me down the street :)
It's one of those saws I may just lean out on video until it blows up. That'd be fun, right up until it disappears in a mushroom cloud and takes my leg off...

Chaps don't stop Chinese crankshafts at 200mph :)

I'm gonna do it though. Just have to - full pelt, lean it out, rubber band on throttle, no bar or chain, then run, whilst videoing :)

im eagerly awaiting that video

sounds good to me. ive often considered trying to learn porting on one of my toy saws then running it flat until it pops

Latest posts

Back