Real.... Or...fake???>>>>>>>

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly it runs really well but vibrates like mad and is just cheap, cheap, and more cheap. Actually I hardly use it, I don't want people throwing rocks at me down the street :)
It's one of those saws I may just lean out on video until it blows up. That'd be fun, right up until it disappears in a mushroom cloud and takes my leg off...

I say tear it apart and port the crap out of it, worst case scenario is you blown it all apart anyway. Though you could end up with something half decent.

you left out the buyers remorse and the "i just needed to borrow one to cut up one tree" clauses.

Oh yeah that's in the small print... invisible to the naked eye. Along with the "i never received the saw", even though seller has delivery signiature--> seller must lose saw and refund money clause:hmm3grin2orange:

With all that aside, the thing that REALLY, REALLY PISSES ME OFF ::angry::angry2: , like THROW things angry.. is the fact that people HERE get screwed by a buyer that bought a PERFECTLY good saw, and straight gassed it, or swapped parts, or THOUGHT it was a SP125 when it was CLEARLY STATED that ID'ing the saw without dismantling was not possible, could be a sp105...

and they wanted $200 back on a $350 auction :rolleyes:

This is the saddest part of all, those that are being honest are being taken advantage of...:angry:

J

100% correct. Dishonesty flows in both directions.

But the core of your anger, which all of us honest types share, is when rules and regs that are put in place to protect a buyer are manipulated and used by dishonest people to screw the seller. The buyer makes a bogus claim and then has e-bay/papal do their dirty work. Not cool at all.

Chaps don't stop Chinese crankshafts at 200mph :)

I'm gonna do it though. Just have to - full pelt, lean it out, rubber band on throttle, no bar or chain, then run, whilst videoing :)

May be easier to just get a tie strap and cinch it in there when you are ready to try for it instead of fussing with a rubber band. Strap the lock out, then do the trigger. Be careful.

I just emailed the guy with the 380 it says he's in Hanover Pa thats 10 min from my house. Has far as i know there is NO stihl dealer there?? Im going to try to meet him:msp_smile:

I just emailed the guy with the 380 it says he's in Hanover Pa thats 10 min from my house. Has far as i know there is NO stihl dealer there?? Im going to try to meet him:msp_smile:

I wonder if that will work, the ad says no local pick up. That makes it even more fishy sounding to me.

Better yet, run over to a high powered rifle and shoot it. Yeah!

If I lived on a farm I'd smack it with the .25/06 whilst pulling colossal rpms :)

wanna borrow a .50cal, or a mini gun? :hmm3grin2orange::bowdown:

The way our government is going I'll be lucky to own an air rifle soon...

I saw that 038 last night and thought something was fishy. Do they still sell new 038's across the pond? Why would they fake a NLA saw. Maybe we'll see fake BP-1s in the future.
Kevin

Nah we are only one saw model behind you guys as a rule but generally only for a short period. Australia has only "just" sold out of the MS260's and has started selling the 261's.

This is obviously becoming a kind of epidemic. Crooks are buying these saws with the intention of misleading buyers when reselling them.

Not only that but this guy has come up with a pretty elaborate story as well. I highly doubt he got them off of a dealer.

( i have known some clones actually have OEM bars and chains)...

Are you sure? I can tell you now that the cloned Stihl E and ES bars and the cloned Stihl RMC chain I've seen are absolutely 100% perfect. I doubt even a Stihl dealer could tell the difference, I couldn't...

I say tear it apart and port the crap out of it, worst case scenario is you blown it all apart anyway. Though you could end up with something half decent.

Can't port :( Don't have the time anyway but funnily enough as nasty as the 038 copy I have is it runs well and has decent grunt. I don't think it would run well for long though, it has NASTY tattoed across it's forehead.

May be easier to just get a tie strap and cinch it in there when you are ready to try for it instead of fussing with a rubber band. Strap the lock out, then do the trigger. Be careful.

Yeah I was actually joking about the rubber band. I'll be using duct tape. In about 10 hours time this will be reality (7:20am here on the 24th March).

Last edited:
You're gonna hook a tach up to that chi-com 038 so we know how many rpm's it turning over before it explodes, right MCW? :)

I had an inquiry about this forwarded to me. The aftermarket parts and inconsistencies vs OEM were pointed out.

It was mentioned that the reason he took lots of pics was so people could see what they were buying.

It looks like he is aware this saw is not "the real deal."

I have never bought anything via Internet so forgive my noobieness but if I wanna cheat you, why don`t I put a pic of a real 038 and send you the fake one that looks that good?
:monkey:

I have never bought anything via Internet so forgive my noobieness but if I wanna cheat you, why don`t I put a pic of a real 038 and send you the fake one that looks that good?
:monkey:

That's what I was thinking, the guy would've posted a pic of a real 038 and sent this ####ty one to ya. He apparentely is trying to offer as many pics of the saw as to allow a potential buyer to do the research and figure out if it's real or not... buyer beware...

That's what I was thinking, the guy would've posted a pic of a real 038 and sent this ####ty one to ya. He apparentely is trying to offer as many pics of the saw as to allow a potential buyer to do the research and figure out if it's real or not... buyer beware...

yes, in the end he`ll be able to say that he was of good fate. the saw says Stihl, he posted as many pics he could, how was he to know that the saw was knock off ?

not a bad move

Are you sure? I can tell you now that the cloned Stihl E and ES bars and the cloned Stihl RMC chain I've seen are absolutely 100% perfect. I doubt even a Stihl dealer could tell the difference, I couldn't...

I will admit i don't have any first hand experience with fake saws/accessories... at least i hope i haven't. I should have put "heard of" instead of "known" previously. How do you know the fake ones were infact fake then?
Sometimes the black paint looks a little "off" colour imo. I expect it would be a lot easier to tell having run the combination for a bit in regards to the bar paint and chrome/lack of on the cutters.

In the UK i think it is something like one in every 30 one pound coins is fake. Looks like the same is going to be said about saws before long..

I took a quick look just before leaving for work this morning, seen 16 things in a couple of mins that aren`t OEM,some of these may have already been posted by now.
1, OEM chain catcher missing.
2, Phillips head screws holding the AV mounts.
3, Flat head slotted screws usually hold the front handle to the fuel tank extension lower front/bottom.
4, Rear handle where it joins the fueltank on the bottom has no cross webbing.
5, Fuel tank seam is welded not joined as OEM.
6, Oil tank cap is incorrect.
7, Grille on the muffler is wrong.
8, Aftermarket felling dawgs, no chain catcher.
9, Pull cord handle appears to be hollow, not OEM.
10, The hole for the heated handle switch is missing the OEM plug.
11, There is a rectangle below where the front top handle joins the fuel tank, there should be a circle in it with the build date indicated.
12, The recess between the carb adjusters and the rear handle is not correct.
13, Decal for the master control switch on airfilter cover is a poor copy, not OEM.
14, The top decal is not correct for the magnum, the badge would have the 038 AV Magnum on it, not the magnum decal separate.
15, Many of the screws appear to be other than T27
16, What is the black circle or hole in the top engine shroud on the clutch side showing just above the slope of the front handle.

Last edited:
Good eye, Jerry.
I'm still looking at that clutch spur. Something isn't right with it. Stihl's all have an indented washer and C clip holding the spur on. That one doesn't.

That black hole is for extra cooling. That's only to cool the aftermarket engine down. It's a "special edition".

Good eye, Jerry.
I'm still looking at that clutch spur. Something isn't right with it. Stihl's all have an indented washer and C clip holding the spur on. That one doesn't.

That black hole is for extra cooling. That's only to cool the aftermarket engine down. It's a "special edition".

I noticed that cup washer also but I couldn`t get a good enough look at it, my old eyes are not what they used to be.

Back