Real.... Or...fake???>>>>>>>

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried to blow up my Chinese 038. Apart from scaring children 10 miles away and bursting my eardrums it pulled 16,700rpm for a whole tank fully leaned out. Maybe I shouldn't have run oil in the fuel...

Sorry I am late. I ran the serial number and no dice. But, that doesn't mean anything because Stihl does not go all that far back with their numbers. I took a good long look at these saws, I think they are the real deal with Snellerized Foo Foo Job. I don't know how he makes his saws so clean. Anyhow, from my IPL's 038 mags did come with a similar sticker. I think the seller is making up some B.S. they are nothing more than old painted up :censored:

I ran the serial number and no dice. But, that doesn't mean anything because Stihl does not go all that far back with their numbers.

Serial numbers unfortunately mean nothing anyway as they are copying them too and getting them right at the same time.

I just tried to blow up my Chinese 038. Apart from scaring children 10 miles away and bursting my eardrums it pulled 16,700rpm for a whole tank fully leaned out. Maybe I shouldn't have run oil in the fuel...

The chinese may have built a good saw after all, lol jokes :laugh:

The chinese may have built a good saw after all, lol jokes :laugh:

It screamed it's tits off and the vibes even knocked the tacho over so I didn't get footage of the rpm. Last I saw was about 16,700rpm when I bolted and my ears started bleeding...

There are quite a few of these 038/380 copies around on ebay etc. but now there is a new kid on the block. The chinese have been making aftermarket 036/360 parts for a while but now you can also get the complete saw. So now there is another saw to add to the "is it real or fake" list.

Here is a pic, how do you like the fuel/oil caps :laugh:

attachment.php

Oh and here is yet another one to look out for - 346/350 copy

attachment.php

Well here's a small video of my Chinese 038 pulling around 16,700rpm and not dying. It became quite boring so just a short clip. It was that loud I nearly pulled the pin after a few minutes as I was concerned what the neighbours may think, despite them being a few hundred yards away...
I pulled some of the plastics off in the hope you'd see a rod exit the cylinder or something fancy but alas. Next time she'll be straight gassed...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t_r0DnPuPbA?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t_r0DnPuPbA?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well here's a small video of my Chinese 038 pulling around 16,700rpm and not dying. It became quite boring so just a short clip. It was that loud I nearly pulled the pin after a few minutes as I was concerned what the neighbours may think, despite them being a few hundred yards away...
I pulled some of the plastics off in the hope you'd see a rod exit the cylinder or something fancy but alas. Next time she'll be straight gassed...

That's hillarious Matt. Not even a load on it. Sounds like you won't bee needing any more ported saws, lol.

That's hillarious Matt. Not even a load on it. Sounds like you won't bee needing any more ported saws, lol.

I was really hoping it was going to "Self Port" Brad but sadly it's tougher than I thought. We'll see if it can survive straight fuel soon...

Holy :censored: I didn't know a piece of :poop: could last long leaned out!! :laugh:

Time for straight gas... :D Bet it'll still take forever to blow it up. :)

To be honest, that chi-com company can send me one of those. :) I'll port it and muff mod it, then run it fully leaned out and beat the crap out of saws at GTG's... :D

Last edited:
Come on MCW, don't straight gas it. Give the thing a chance.
You are my hero but don't give it a straight shot. The poor thing deserves a fighting chance.
Looking back at the video, I would drain the bar oil out. It looked like she was squirting a good stream out!

Last edited:
Holy :censored: I didn't know a piece of :poop: could last long leaned out!! :laugh:

Time for straight gas... :D Bet it'll still take forever to blow it up. :)

To be honest, that chi-com company can send me one of those. :) I'll port it and muff mod it, then run it fully leaned out and beat the crap out of saws at GTG's... :D

It surprised me too. I was waiting for it to just disintegrate in a few minutes. It could be like a cockroach, no matter what you do it survives...

Come on MCW, don't straight gas it. Give the thing a chance.
You are my hero but don't give it a straight shot. The poor thing deserves a fighting chance.
Looking back at the video, I would drain the bar oil out. It looked like she was squirting a good stream out!

I hear ya but let's look at the whole exercise as a "saw durability test". I'd be pretty sure the Chinese company who made the saw never tested it :D Oh and there wasn't much bar oil in it, the video I put up was from the start of the WOT lean out test...

It surprised me too. I was waiting for it to just disintegrate in a few minutes. It could be like a cockroach, no matter what you do it survives...

I hear ya but let's look at the whole exercise as a "saw durability test". I'd be pretty sure the Chinese company who made the saw never tested it :D Oh and there wasn't much bar oil in it, the video I put up was from the start of the WOT lean out test...

If at first you don't succeed....we'll wait for the next video.

Or, send that saw over here. I know a landing rat, not on my crew fortunately, that could burn up an anvil. That kid can blow up anything and often has. The side-rod asked him if he owned stock in the Stihl Corporation.

? no muffler on that one?? NO EARMUFFS or PLUGS??

don't you have a 3120, Matt?? ::confused2: DUUUUHHHH...LOL!!

Not funny Rick. I've got a ripping headache and really should have chucked earmuffs on...

That's what ya get!! :poke:

I wear my plugs when grinding ANYTHING or when running JUST ABOUT ANY saw... (fine, not always for quick tuning... )

It screamed it's tits off and the vibes even knocked the tacho over so I didn't get footage of the rpm. Last I saw was about 16,700rpm when I bolted and my ears started bleeding...

hmm.. bleeding? uh oh. :clap:

16.7k YIKES!

There are quite a few of these 038/380 copies around on ebay etc. but now there is a new kid on the block. The chinese have been making aftermarket 036/360 parts for a while but now you can also get the complete saw. So now there is another saw to add to the "is it real or fake" list.

Here is a pic, how do you like the fuel/oil caps :laugh:

attachment.php

Oh and here is yet another one to look out for - 346/350 copy

attachment.php

Oh, JUST AWESOME!!!..

I just found this one today, I waited to post until I rcv'd Serial # confirmation from the seller (or, IF they'd send it...:rolleyes: )

NEW IN BOX Husqvarna 372XP 20" BAR AND CHAIN !!!NEW - eBay (item 230600816712 end time Mar-28-11 19:53:15 PDT)

HERE IS THE SERIAL NUMBER #07 3801263

- airwalked

I'm ABSOLUTELY sure with a LOAD on it, it would have failed in SOME shape or form... FREE reving is NOTHING like building heat underload... BUT, would be louder WITH a load on it...

I was really hoping it was going to "Self Port" Brad but sadly it's tougher than I thought. We'll see if it can survive straight fuel soon...

I gotta say, I do wonder what will fail 1st...I'm gonna say, like most, the heat in the top end will approach, or reach Alum melting temperature (1100deg F, or so, IIRC... )

Back