Realistic expectations of a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Following along on the 562xp, I'm finding it's not all it was cracked up to be, for me at least.
So what is realistic? What weight should a 60cc saw be? A 70cc saw, a 50cc saw? Are we expecting too much of saws or not enough? This is the 2000's, why do we have saws built 30 years ago that weigh less and perform as well or better than the new models? Or do they perform better than the older counter parts?
I'm all for a 60cc saw that pulls a 28" bar, but if it's only a pound lighter than a 70cc saw that pulls it better, which would you grab? Maybe I'm expecting too much, but it seems like the latest and greatest seem to be gaining pounds without the power gains we where promised!

How much run time do you have on the 562?

It's a Strato, and the things seem to break in real slow compared to the old designs.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've no time on any of the strato's! I was looking to replace my "heavy" 046 ported BB to help my back and make it somewhat enjoyable instead of painful to cut medium/large wood.
But I've yet to see enough weight gain to make me willing to give it up!
The newest saw I own now, since I've sold my 200t, is a Dolmar 5100s.

There's been so much hype on it, you won't see a bad word about it, pulling a 28" bar, read that one, come on, hell their is a video than has a 028 pulling a 32" bar. Difference in pulling it and puling it with authority, I'm sure it's a great saw, but on paper not that much of an improvement over the old MS361, and they've had how long to come up with a competitive 60cc class saw, price point at 749.00.
The real winner is going to be the 555. An affordable saw for most, not that much difference in specs. Would buy one over a 346xp in a heartbeat. Prolly will never get the credit on here it should, it not the cool
XP saw, being promoted by those who supposedly are the authority on all things saw related.
Maybe that 749.00 retail is their new CEO's first attempt at making over a 2% margin in the North American market, has to offset the big box single digits some way.

But to further my point, even the 261 gained well over a pound vs. the 260. Aren't we going the wrong way here?

Following along on the 562xp, I'm finding it's not all it was cracked up to be, for me at least.
So what is realistic? What weight should a 60cc saw be? A 70cc saw, a 50cc saw? Are we expecting too much of saws or not enough? This is the 2000's, why do we have saws built 30 years ago that weigh less and perform as well or better than the new models? Or do they perform better than the older counter parts?
I'm all for a 60cc saw that pulls a 28" bar, but if it's only a pound lighter than a 70cc saw that pulls it better, which would you grab? Maybe I'm expecting too much, but it seems like the latest and greatest seem to be gaining pounds without the power gains we where promised!

But to further my point, even the 261 gained well over a pound vs. the 260. Aren't we going the wrong way here?

Yep, we're definitely going the wrong way, and its not Husqvarna or Stihl's fault...

Just blame it on the good 'ol EPA.:mad2:

Personally I don't understand the need for that saw (if you look at the line-up). I even told my dealer this.
Needed a 60cc Pro saw?
Might be the new model design creeping in! Just like the T 435. But what will it replace? Its all sales and competion generated.
If sales are low on a certain model they AX it just like they have w/ 2 of my saws now. If that thing replaces the 357 which it looks like it has a chance, I'll be upset!!!!!

I've been following the debate myself and thought a 560 could be what I need for all around work. However, I picked up a 555 at the shop and was surprised at the weight. At age 64 and a crook back (and wrist, and knees) I just don't need that extra weight.

I've got a 10.8lb modded Husky 450 with a NK bar that is my go-to saw. Sometimes I'm so winded I am ready to drop after an hour of cutting in the woods, however I can still move around and control that little saw safely. The 365BB and bar wears me down a lot quicker and is only brought out for the big stuff.

Getting old sucks, I figure I am going to stick with my present two saw plan.

A modded 550 (again at 10.8lbs) may be in the future when and if the 450 gives up.

I've been following the debate myself and thought a 560 could be what I need for all around work. However, I picked up a 555 at the shop and was surprised at the weight. At age 64 and a crook back (and wrist, and knees) I just don't need that extra weight.

I've got a 10.8lb modded Husky 450 with a NK bar that is my go-to saw. Sometimes I'm so winded I am ready to drop after an hour of cutting in the woods, however I can still move around and control that little saw safely. The 365BB and bar wears me down a lot quicker and is only brought out for the big stuff.

Getting old sucks, I figure I am going to stick with my present two saw plan.

A modded 550 (again at 10.8lbs) may be in the future when and if the 450 gives up.

I hear ya! And I'm almost half your age!
Work/play to hard.
I just don't do it enough anymore to stay in shape.

Sorry had too!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

[video=youtube_share;FvAI7-Qa2Io]http://youtu.be/FvAI7-Qa2Io[/video]

Two things I know for certain about expectations might sound contradictory:

1)As has been mentioned, there is no replacement for displacement..

2) Women don't like Big Chainsaws. (so size does matter relative to saws ..should make many of you happy)

Last edited:
Two things I know for certain about expectations might sound contradictory:

1)As has been mentioned, there is no replacement for displacement..

2) Women don't like Big Chainsaws. (so size does matter relative to saws ..should make many of you happy)

So their might be a use for those mini-Macs afterall? :hmm3grin2orange:

Trick

I hear ya! And I'm almost half your age!
Work/play to hard.
I just don't do it enough anymore to stay in shape.

I haven't done this, but don't see how it couldn't work. Pick up some wrist weights and start wearing them a lot while doing other than firewooding. When you go to pick up a saw, take them off.

First off....this isn't directed at you personally, sawinredneck (I've never met you), but your post seemed the logical one for my comment....

I think it's ironic that we (I'm including myself here) complain about a saw that weighs a pound or two more than it's competitors, but will tolerate FAR MORE than an extra pound when it comes to what we 'carry' around our mid sections? :)

If we held ourselves to the same standards of 'power to weight' that we demand of our saws, all of us would be able to limb with an 880 for days on end :)

The fact of the matter is that 'carrying' extra weight will wear a guy out over the course of the day. It doesn't really matter if the extra weight is on the saw, or hanging over your belt.

Just something to think about the next time you find yourself looking down your nose (over your gut) at that new saw that seems to be too 'heavy' and 'bulky'. :)

P.S. I realize that some of your might already be built like world class endurance athletes (less than 5% body fat)....you are most likely the exception....not the rule.

Last edited:
That's a point I can't argue, and am personally working on myself!
But as for looking down my nose, I have a VERY bad back, shouldn't even be dong this type of work, but I love it and want to keep doing it, so in my case, and a few others I know of, every pound does count!

The classification should be in how much work can be performed for the weight of the saw. I don't know, but for the little run time I had on the slightly modified 261 I ran, it was getting into or was into the 361 range (its be a long time since I ran a stock 361, so my gauge is off on that I'm sure), but the 261 for its heavier weight will completely out perform a 260, in power and much less fuel consumption, this is very important, as there are few that need to one hand the 261 all day. I personally find that for all day, sun up to sun down cutting with 30 minutes off for lunch, the weight of a saw isn't a problem until you get into the 90cc range, then weight differences of say 1 pound become more noticeable.

For instance, in the 70-80cc range you have lighter 440/372's and heavier 460/576AT's and some in the middle of the 1 pound of wieght range, yet it make little difference for all day work, yet many on this site that will complain the loudest about a few ounces are the ones that use the saws the least, LOL.

Indianspring's workers are a fine example of a heavier but more efficient 261 being the saw of choice for all day cutting of firewood in a professional setting, the 346 is lighter ...... and still nobody wants to run it, and his workers that don't have an axe to grind (Stihl vs Husky), they just need a tool that gets the job done, naturally a good worker will gravitate toward the tool that most assists a guy/gal in getting that work done quickly, efficiently and comfortably.

I have found that the choice of a saw in the difference CC brackets is best chosen based on the potential work that can be performed within a synergistic design or grouping of parts, and not so much dependant on a couple of seconds faster in the cookie cutting times or being lighter or heavier by a few ounces or sideways balance or other such statistics that make a good showing in writing or on charts or short videos, but don't quite add up enough to offset other detriments or holes in the efficiency bracket when it comes to real world cutting.

Sam

Latest posts

Back