Reasonable offer for MS660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone paying $1,000 for this saw does NOT prove that it's worth $1,000. It simply proves that the buyer either doesn't know, or doesn't care that he's over paying.

I agree, Brad, that people 'overpay' all of the time. Sometimes they even come on here, proud of their 'bargain', just to find out it ain't.

But what it's "worth" to the seller, Is as much as it will 'bring'. Some people go so far as to question whether a 'woods port' is "Worth" ~$250. Others know.

Used 660's

It seems like there predominately are two kinds of used 660's that I see. Either ones that are in near new condition, or those that are completely beat to crap. The beat to crap ones are usually from loggers, and most of these are project saws. Or maybe they sat in the back of an Arborist's truck for years, used for the occasional large tree, with less internal wear but cosmetically thrashed.

The other kind come from non-pro users; guys who bought the biggest and best saw they could, and either never used them or hardly ever. These are often babied, and put on the shelf next to the rarely used professional tool set. I picked up a used 066R with a 32" bar with two new chains, and some gear last year, that the guy cut down 3 trees (according to him) with, then drained it and put it on the shelf for 10 years. It looked 99.5% new, as in no paint wear at all, even on the bottom. I could have eaten off of the clutch, it was that clean. I gave him $700. A new 660R with a 32" bar is $1000 plus tax here, so best case you are close to $1100. For me at the time, I needed another big saw, and wanted to save the $400 (plus I always thought the old 066's ran better than the newer 660's :msp_thumbup:).

So, I would agree that if it is in truly like new condition, $750 or so is a fair deal. More than that and I'd walk. Maybe the guy with the saw has some goodies to throw in to sweeten the deal.

It's important to remember that most folks here can get saws for under list, so we're likely to pay less for a used saw. My guess is that if you wanted to pony up for a new one, some site member could point you to a dealer in your area who could cut you a deal.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
It seems like there predominately are two kinds of used 660's that I see. Either ones that are in near new condition, or those that are completely beat to crap. The beat to crap ones are usually from loggers, and most of these are project saws. Or maybe they sat in the back of an Arborist's truck for years, used for the occasional large tree, with less internal wear but cosmetically thrashed.

The other kind come from non-pro users; guys who bought the biggest and best saw they could, and either never used them or hardly ever. These are often babied, and put on the shelf next to the rarely used professional tool set. I picked up a used 066R with a 32" bar with two new chains, and some gear last year, that the guy cut down 3 trees (according to him), then drained it and put it on the shelf for 10 years. It looked 99.5% new, as in no paint wear at all, even on the bottom. I could have eaten off of the clutch, it was that clean. I gave him $700. A new 660R with a 32" bar is $1000 plus tax here, so best case you are close to $1100. For me at the time, I needed another big saw, and wanted to save the $400 (plus I always thought the old 066's ran better than the newer 660's :msp_thumbup:).So, I would agree that if it is in truly like new condition, $750 or so is a fair deal. More than that and I'd walk. Maybe the guy with the saw has some goodies to throw in to sweeten the deal.

It's important to remember that most folks here can get saws for under list, so we're likely to pay less for a used saw. My guess is that if you wanted to pony up for a new one, some site member could point you to a dealer in your area who could cut you a deal.

Good Luck!

They did!!! Those that knew it and still know it today will pay a good penny for a 066 in great shape, :msp_thumbup:

Well, I have to admit some mild surprise here. Seems the warranty *is* transferrable.

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/STIHL_Warranty_Policy_2012_01.pdf
Persons Covered By This Warranty
A. The original purchaser (other than for purposes of resale) and:
B. Persons to whom ownership of the product is transferred during the term of the applicable warranty period but only for the balance of the warranty period then remaining as described in paragraphs 2A, 2B or 2C. Double warranty coverage and lifetime warranty coverage as described in paragraphs 2D, 2E, 2F and 2G is to the original purchaser only. The persons identified in 4A and 4B are referred to as the “Consumer”.

That's highly unusual from what I've seen. However, it doesn't specify what you have to do to have the warrranty be in effect. I'm sure the sale of the saw to third party would have to be registered with Stihl. Can the dealers here shed light on that? Have any of you ever done warranty work for a third party owner?

its the guys saw. he can sell it for what ever the heck he wants to sell it for. who cares what people on here say that he should sell it for. he doesnt care. and yes someone may pay his price. so be it. good gosh what a bunch of soapboxers today.

to the op. pay what you are willing to pay. to quote the seller what someone on here is willing to pay or what he should list it for will probably get you laughed at ,in the least...

I dissagree with the warranty loss dropping the value $200. The pro is gonna buy new, he wants a warranty. The guy heating his house is gonna buy a used 660. He won't need the warranty on that saw because it won't be used enough. Especially if he knows how to take care of saw.

The guy heating his house is going to buy a 290. jus sayin.

Am I asking too much for the 066 i`m trying to sell in the tradin post? i`ve only had it listed for a couple of days but its never taken me more then a day to unload a bigger saw, is it just a bad time to sell because the holidays just passed?

Am I asking too much for the 066 i`m trying to sell in the tradin post? i`ve only had it listed for a couple of days but its never taken me more then a day to unload a bigger saw, is it just a bad time to sell because the holidays just passed?

yep, price is to high for me. If the saw was all original it may be ok, but the plastic is not, the brake was broke, and ?????. you have been using it alot and did not take the time to clean it(dont like that). Sorry to give you the bad news (this is my opinion):msp_confused:

Spend an hour on saw. Pull the plastics and covers and clean it up.

Tighten the pull rope to the handle. Pull the muffler and take a pic of the piston. Take a pic inside the carb area with the filter visible to show condition. Show a pic of the clutch drum and rim to show wear.

State whether it has an oem p/c or not. State any repairs made. (carb rebuild or fuel line ETC)

You're trying to get good money for a 066, its not insane money but good money. People need to see what they're buying. Especially if they can't see it in person.

yep, price is to high for me. If the saw was all original it may be ok, but the plastic is not, the brake was broke, and ?????. you have been using it alot and did not take the time to clean it(dont like that). Sorry to give you the bad news (this is my opinion):msp_confused:

the handle had a piece missing, I replaced it, and I have the original plastics, but I had a set of 660 plastics in better shape so I put them on.

the handle had a piece missing, I replaced it, and I have the original plastics, but I had a set of 660 plastics in better shape so I put them on.

I completely under stand that, but with the old plastic on the saw it shows it true life. Just becouse the saw has nice plastic does not make it worth more money(in my mind i ask "what are they hiding").I am not saying you are hiding anything. You asked if you were asking to much and i gave you my opinion.

I know I should spend some time cleaning it up but i`ve been going non stop since I came home to see the family for the holidays, i`ll forgo sleeping tonight and clean it proper.

funny enough story, I actually bought this 066 when I came home to cut wood for my parents and sister because they both bought houses with woodstoves and had nothing to burn, 066=perfect firewood saw :laugh:

Back