rebuild a 034 av?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galvprobigd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
got 3 saws at a pawn shop deal. two are minor repairs(fuel line, oil pump gears) but the 034 appears to be toast. cylinder and piston are scored pretty bad. has a new carb but the choke linkage is not the right one for the saw. any way, is this worth the rebuild? is a 036 jug and piston the largest that can be put on the saw? dont really want to part with it, but dont want to spend more on it than its worth. so all you stihl experts help me out with this thing i love the weight and balance of the saw just wish it ran

036 top end... for sure. How's the bottom end? Any other issues? You might as well figure out total price of rebuild then make your choice. The small stuff (sprocket, impulse line, air filters, fuel line, etc.) add up quickly on any rebuild. Also factor in bar and chain unless you have extras around.
AM kits for the 036 (48mm) have gotten pretty good reviews. Tecomec, Meteor, Hyway, then everything else. I just got a Hyway kit from watsonr and will hopefully be posting a rebuild thread/review on how it's doing.
I love my 034s (all 3 runners, 2 carcasses) and I'd say it's worth doing something with if it's just top end damage...

It's got a new carb fuel line air filter spark plug and it's getting good spark has a really good sprocket and a pretty good bar and new chain. I'm guessing the PO got frustrated and pawned it. It's in overall good shape and was made in west Germany. Removing the spark plug and muffler it looks like he tried to run sand in it. Clean but scored, gouged might be a better word for it. I'm thinking about taking the jug off and checking the rod and crank bearings gonna start looking for crank seals and top end kits tomorrow. Anything else I should look to up grade replace while I'm at it or any thing to look out for during the disassembly? Thanks buckthorn I'll deff follow your rebuild post

Gouged? That's probably not good... Take off the clutch drum and clutch (reverse thread... use clean nylon rope as piston stop...look up threads/youtube). Grab the crank and give it a wiggle, any play is bad. If there is bottom end damage the repair cost just went up, but it's not necessarily dead.
A T27 long handle for the cylinder, make sure you clean the off a bit before popping the jug off. PM watsonr or check out Bailey's for options on seals and top end kits. You probably will want to do most of the work yourself to keep costs down a bit.
Look for any damage/tapering on the crank itself. Also check for tiny cracks in the case or tanks. Be CAREFUL pulling the small plastic pieces from around the clutch housing; you have an old (but great) saw there. The oiler hose is probably shot, but check the oil pump itself.
I've been lucky so far on my older runners. Each one has a decent p/c. I replaced the 034Super piston with a Meteor from Watsonr. I didn't need to, but there was a small scuff and some transfer. I used 6M HCl on the clean-up of the cylinder. As winter projects I picked up 2 absolute junkers that I'll be putting the AM (hyway) kit on.
Need a manual?

I just did a Tecomec 036 cylinder kit onto an 034, I don't recommend Tecomec. The screw bosses for the head of the screw to seat on are not machined, they are not parallel with the base. Also the exhaust port is way small and the ports are not the same as 036 ports.

To use an 036 cylinder, you have to trim some plastic inside the top cover to clear the larger top fin. If you use an 036 muffler, it fits perfect. To use an 034 muffler you have to use spacers at the bottom of the muf.
The easiest way is to find an OEM 034 Super cylinder. Chainsawr in Vermont has them once in awhile.

You will also need to replace the small spline clutch drum with, either the large STIHL part from MS360 or, my prefered way, get an Oregon mid size from weedeaterman

Last edited:
So in order to fit to 036 jug and piston I need a 036 muffler and a new sprocket for the chain? Gonna try to take the beast apart this week and see what I need. I saw in another post about using bigger bearings (16mm compared to 13mm? I think) what are those for/ too? This is my first saw rebuild and just want to get it right b/c I'll be clearing 50ac with these three saws

nice saw and as you can see alot of people put the 036 jug/piston on them. some of the early models have a different filter and dust cover which can be difficult to find. I have one for sale right now and like it. it is the only saw I have that starts right up and runs well. but I have a 361 and do not need the 034. have fun with it

I thought I read somewhere that you could also put an 038 cylinder on an 034. Maybe I've got my numbers mixed up though

038 cylinder will not fit a 034. A 036 will. Great saws. I run a 25" bar on mine. Flywheel side seals are known to leak on this series saw. They are small seals. Keep an eye on the rpms. If it rev's high, the seal is starting to go.

Here's my rebuilt 034 super with a BBK. It's now an 036, and I spent about $150 in parts to get the job done. The original owner gave it to me, so I figure it was worth it:

I outfitted it with a 20" bar and chain. This saw is a keeper.

I would say worth every single penny of it......looks real nice. :clap:

034 and 036 top ends are not completely interchangable on all the cases. Take a look at this pic right above the area where the chain brake spring resides. One case is taller than the other and will hit the fins on the cylinder. It's not a big deal to grind down for clearance, but I thought I should mention it.

Tony

Looks like mine is gonna have to be ground down. Started taking it part yesterday but ran into a small problem with the jug. T27 socket won't fit, so gotta get a T-handle. I'll try to load pic of the piston thru the exhaust port. And this plastic piece with a screw in it mounter on the gas tank. Any body tell me what it is/for?

Latest posts

Back