Rebuilding Stihl 360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to paint the fan housing. What is the best way to remove the starter rope and rewinder for installing after paining. And what about the plastic piece seen in this picture?

Okay, so I used the .032 solder method for squish using grease to put them on four points of the piston and then clamped down only two bolts, I thought I read that, but next time I'm using all four. On the left and right side of the piston I got .010-.011 and front and back were a little less it seemed, one was .009, and .011. I'm wondering if on one of them I crushed the solder with the calipers, I should have been more careful. What should I use for a base gasket in this case? I'd say that .011 is the best measurement. But, I'm definitely going to need something. Or does that squish seem to be wrong?

So, I added a phone-book gasket, bolted all four down and I'm looking at about .014 consistently. Should I stack two phone book cover gaskets?

For what it's worth I did a 360 pro and tried a "gasket" cut from a pepsi can and got .020-.025...I used a thin layer of dirko on both sides of it

Okay, so I used the .032 solder method for squish using grease to put them on four points of the piston and then clamped down only two bolts, I thought I read that, but next time I'm using all four. On the left and right side of the piston I got .010-.011 and front and back were a little less it seemed, one was .009, and .011. I'm wondering if on one of them I crushed the solder with the calipers, I should have been more careful. What should I use for a base gasket in this case? I'd say that .011 is the best measurement. But, I'm definitely going to need something. Or does that squish seem to be wrong?

I only use two bolts when checking squish. But also, I don't go to the ragged edge with my measurements. I like .002-.003 above the limits. You can expect measurements to vary front to rear bc of the piston rocking in the bore.

I'm not sure I would be comfortable with a two piece gasket. I would find a single thickness of the correct measure.

Two phone book covers thick? Why not just use a stock base gasket? The stock base gasket is .020" and I can't believe two phone book covers is less than that.

On your other question. Remove the metal clip on the recoil. Carefully lift the rope spool straight up. This will leave the recoil spring in the "cup". You can then take a pair of needle nose vice grips and lock them down on the spring and lift it out.

Thank you for any help guys. I took apart the recoil. How do I get the spring back in? Am I missing a part? I'm a little confused. Picture attached.

I looked at that and it didn't seem clear enough or looked like I was missing something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not run two gaskets. That is a problem waiting to happen. It will blow them out most likely.

Thank you for any help guys. I took apart the recoil. How do I get the spring back in? Am I missing a part? I'm a little confused. Picture attached.

I didn't take time to look for missing parts, but to install- start with the outside edge and slowly rotate the starter and feed the spring in. You end with the center of the spring.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I still have to figure out what to use for the gasket. I don't want a really large squish like an OEM base gasket would take. I need .010 or so of a gasket, maybe even a hair taller.

I cut a "gasket" out of a Pepsi can...sealed it with dirko...got my squish between .020 and .025. This was on a 360pro. Only test ran the saw tho..have not put it in any wood yet so I don't know how well that will hold up. It did hold pressure and vacuum.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I still have to figure out what to use for the gasket. I don't want a really large squish like an OEM base gasket would take. I need .010 or so of a gasket, maybe even a hair taller.

Just look around...frozen pizza boxes, cereal boxes, manila envelopes, aluminum cans...your choices are nearly endless.

Do not use a thread-in metal piston stop. Use one of the plastic ones that slides in. If you have access to a cordless or air impact driver you can remove the flywheel nut and clutch without a piston stop at all.
good advice, metal piston stops dent pistons crown. I like stuffing rope in the combustin chamber, it won't smash up and leave plastic parts in your engine.

I tried a piece of cardboard from a shipping box, it seemed pretty thin, but I ended up with 0.28-0.30 squish. I'm really considering just strapping the cylinder back on and calling it quits. I don't see many other things that will give me the .009-.011 added thickness I'm looking for.

Do I need special tools to put the ignition back into the saw?

Latest posts

Back