Rebuilding Stihl 360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe you missed it...ill try again...I cut a gasket out of a pepsi can and sealed it with dirko on my 360 and got my squish to about .020-.025.

Actually, I didn't miss it. I saw it the first two times. You having the same saw makes no difference at all in the first place. The tolerances are never exactly the same. Correct me if I'm wrong. .010 (squish w/o gasket) +.003 or .004 which is the thickness of a soda can (I looked into multiple threads) Puts me at .013-.014 at the most. I don't want squish that tight. I've measured the squish without a base gasket and it's .009-.011, I'm looking for something around .008 in thickness if anyone has any specific ideas. If somehow magically a soda can will give me more squish than what I'm calculating I'll do it. Until then...there is no way in hell I'm going to screw around cutting out a soda can gasket for it to be too thin.

sorry..i wasn't trying to be a d*ck...sometimes posts get looked over, just tryin to help a brotha out. carry on with your rebuild...nice write up by the way.

You would be fine with a squish of .018"+

I would check different cans. I remember finding an Arizona Tea can on my road and using it bc it was a little thicker than most. Look for NOS, Redbull, etc...not all are the same thickness. Also check and index card, I think they usually run about .007-.010".

Have you decarboned the combustion chamber? And are you sure about the measurements? On 50cc saws I'm selling I don't like to get tighter than .017"- if it measures tighter, I look to shim it. On a personal saw where I know how it's going to be run and that I'm going to keep a close eye on the state of tune and use good fuel, I'll wouldn't have a problem with .015"+. If your measurements are accurate, and you take care of your saw, there's no reason you can't run a squish of .018"+ and not have a problem.

sorry..i wasn't trying to be a d*ck...sometimes posts get looked over, just tryin to help a brotha out. carry on with your rebuild...nice write up by the way.

Sorry, I'm cranky today. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Murph-I'm aiming for a little more to be on the safe side, but if I find a material that lets me hit .018 I'll keep it for sure. Just haven't found it yet.

So this thread struck my curiosity chord... Walking around the house looking like a tard measuring everything in sight. I found that a greeting card comes in at .009... and a cover for a paperback book comes in at .010. hope that helps.

P.S. Dont destroy no good books..:chainsaw:

So this thread struck my curiosity chord... Walking around the house looking like a tard measuring everything in sight. I found that a greeting card comes in at .009... and a cover for a paperback book comes in at .010. hope that helps.

P.S. Dont destroy no good books..:chainsaw:
Haha thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back