Recent Stihl MS170 changes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The newer ones

I was there today and he had 6 brand new ones there , they do the job for the price..i kinda like em'
Yeah, I decided to keep one for my use around here, nice and light. I sold the bar and chain, sprocket, sprocket cover, scabbard, put on used, so I have less than $100 in it.

From what I can tell, the only different parts are the starter, top cover, air box and baffle, everything else is the same. I can at least sell those parts a bit higher until the Chinese start making crappy copies.

Your newest MS170 is estetically identical to the one we've had here for a year or so. If it's made in China (like the ones we have here) chances are Stihl is simply building the same saw for both the European and US market in the same factory and with the same components with nothing more than different carbs and perhaps mufflers to comply with different emission requirements.

I don't know about the US market, but here the 170 has never sold well, so chances are the lag in the update may be due to Stihl wanting to get rid of unsold stocks before introducing the updated model.

Your newest MS170 is estetically identical to the one we've had here for a year or so. If it's made in China (like the ones we have here) chances are Stihl is simply building the same saw for both the European and US market in the same factory and with the same components with nothing more than different carbs and perhaps mufflers to comply with different emission requirements.

I don't know about the US market, but here the 170 has never sold well, so chances are the lag in the update may be due to Stihl wanting to get rid of unsold stocks before introducing the updated model.
It appears to be the same old ms170, with just a different top cover and pull starter. It does make it resemble the newer models.

Here is a pic of ipl pages to show the different parts, for those that are still doubting that my newer style is a cheap Chinese copy.......
Oh, give me a clone
Of my own flesh and bone
With its Y chromosome changed to X

And when we're alone
Me and my clone
Will both think of nothing but sex
Here is a pic of the ipl pages from PartSmart that show both the new and old style parts,
for those that still think that I have a cheap Chinese junk clone copy...............................................

partsmart 001.JPG

I just hate that flimsy chain, cutters bend too easy.

Ya i agree with that but i just use mine for little limbs and small wood so the durability isnt much of an issue with me , ive been tryin different things with those tiny cutters to see how well i can get them to cut..the 43 gauge chains are so cheap i just like to experiment with them.

Latest posts

Back