Recommend a good compression tester?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswensen

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The compression tester that I use for lawnmowers and cars is too long for saws. If I screw it in on a saw enough to seal, it protrudes into the cylinder too far and the piston hits it.

What do you use and where did you get it?

If you know someone with a lathe you could have them make up a collar with an O-ring in each end to effectively shorten the thread. Ten minute job :)

Stay away fom the China junk. Mine worked about 4 or 5 times, then I spent about 45 minutes trying to get it to work. I would have been better off giving the Chinese $30 and letting them keep it and not wasting my time. Same with a lot of other China stuff. My china angle grinder lasted about 5 or 6 uses so I bought a new Makita off ebay. Makita made in China. Haven't used it much,doesn't feel like the same junk but I wish it at least would say made in Taiwan.

dswensen - np :) hope it's a good one.

I have a compression tester but I've never used it on a saw, i usually just go by feel. I've got a good sense of these things. I'll try some saws with it and see what happens, I'd be interested to see.

Compression tester???? Just pull the rope.

Lawnmowers have comp releases, saws, just pull the rope, the compression
reading pops up in the brain.

I have one, but never use it, never need to.

That's the one I'm replacing with the Lisle. It works fine but I've just suspected the readings to be low.

Hmmmmmmmm........ Please let me know if your readings are much different. If they are I will have to get one of the Lisle. It seems to work good. Had a Husky with 90PSI blown scored piston, new piston is pushing 145.

Snap On is a bit pricey, but I've had mine for years. Used it on everything from saws to airplanes. Passes calibration every time I send it in.

Snap On is a bit pricey, but I've had mine for years. Used it on everything from saws to airplanes. Passes calibration every time I send it in.

+1

I've had my Snap On compression tester for about 20 years, never a single issue.

:agree2: :agree2:

I have had my Snap-On for 17 years, a great tool. Get ready for sticker shock though....

Hmmmmmmmm........ Please let me know if your readings are much different. If they are I will have to get one of the Lisle. It seems to work good. Had a Husky with 90PSI blown scored piston, new piston is pushing 145.

I just got the Lisle 20250 I ordered from Amazon. I chose the free shipping and got it in like 2 days. I took my modded MS260 and checked it a couple times with my AutoZone guage I've been using. I then checked it a couple times with the new Lisle. Both guages read with in 2 lbs of each other at 178-180 pounds. It cost me $27, but I know I'm getting a good reading now.

Back