recommend an electric saw: special purpose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursaps

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
at work we use electric saws to cut our sips panels (plywood and Styrofoam sandwich). at most we are cutting through 1" of OSB plywood and minimum 7" styrofoam. you wouldnt think that would put a lot of load on a saw, but suprisingly it does. the bars and chains heat up to suprising levels, even with a lot of oil and chain lube. something about the OSB, i dont know.

we use a MaFell electric beam cutter and a husqvarna 316 (electric) saw. both with 20" bars. today the husqvarna spit out a bunch of plastic bearings, not good, no chain movement. it is mounted in a Big-Foot milling rig.

we need 2 saws, but dont want to spend the 5 grand on another MaFell. I wouldnt mind going with the husq again, but are there other models that are better/ higher grade?

Have you looked at the dolmar/makita electric? My brother has one and it seems like a decent unit. It's the only electric chainsaw I've used so take that with a grain of salt.

Isn't the standard tool for that a worm drive saw with a kit that consists of a sprocket, bar and chain? The exact product has been linked on here in the past. You can actually set the angle of the cut for valleys on roofs. A worm drive saw and the kit I would guess would be around $400. I never have used one but have been on jobs that such a device was in use.

we have 2 such worm drive saws, and they are ok at best for what we do. problem is they cant cut through the thickeer panels (8 1/4"+) at any angle past 20 degrees.

we are looking for the most heavy duty electric saw that we can find. the husq lasted us a year, which is ok i think, we definately got our moneys worth out of it, but once it started having problems its been one thing after another.

Ive looked into the stihl, and like it. i want to check out the makitas as well. is there any other brand that has proven itself in harsh work environments? i was told my budget is sub $1000. gas saws are out of the question, as we work indoors.

Milwaukee Electric makes top of the line electric chainsaws. Not sure where to find them other than online and I believe the industrial distributors have them (MSC, Grainger, etc)

The Dolmar/Makita seems like a well built unit. Plenty of metal in them but never sold/used one. Only electric saws I have been around in use have been the cheap black and Decker ones.

The Dolmar/Makita seems like a well built unit. Plenty of metal in them but never sold/used one. Only electric saws I have been around in use have been the cheap black and Decker ones.
I have a Makita 4030 as well, and yes it has a good deal of magnesium in it, I rate it second behind the 220 due to considerably less power only. The Makita does have an advantage in that the brushes are easier to service. I believe those two electrics are the only mag cased saws.

I have a Makita 4030 as well, and yes it has a good deal of magnesium in it, I rate it second behind the 220 due to considerably less power only. The Makita does have an advantage in that the brushes are easier to service. I believe those two electrics are the only mag cased saws.
Good to know. I ordered one just to have one but have only had a couple people look at it. Price tag scares them away since they can get a B&D at Wally World for $50

I like the Makita's too, but they are not designed for that type of work. I don't think that Milwaukee makes chainsaws anymore.

Your best choice will probably be the largest of the STIHL chainsaws. http://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-to...hains-guide-bars/0150/Electric-chainsaws.aspx

In Europe, they might have some 220 V versions. Or even some three-phase saws that are not available here in the US. You might try contacting STIHL USA corporate to find out if these are available from special distributors for industrial use such as yours.

I would also ask them for technical assistance on choosing the best chain for cutting the OSB, as well as optimal sharpening angles. Their products are used in a number of lumberyards around the world, and your local STIHL dealer will not have this type of information.

Let us know.

Philbert

The OSB isn't doing it, the foam is. I cut a lot of styrofoam on a tablesaw. When it builds up heat it will begin to stick to the blade. This buildup will create a violent kick back if you don't clean the blade periodically. Same with a Skilsaw. I sell quite a few Stihl MSE250's to log builders that need a saw for indoor use. They have been holding up very well.

The OSB isn't doing it, the foam is. I cut a lot of styrofoam on a tablesaw. When it builds up heat it will begin to stick to the blade. This buildup will create a violent kick back if you don't clean the blade periodically. Same with a Skilsaw. I sell quite a few Stihl MSE250's to log builders that need a saw for indoor use. They have been holding up very well.
Do do you normal bar oil or something else ????

The OSB isn'ing it, the foam is. I cut a lot of styrofoam on a tablesaw. When it builds up heat it will begin to stick to the blade. This buildup will create a violent kick back if you don't clean the blade periodically. Same with a Skilsaw. I sell quite a few Stihl MSE250's to log builders that need a saw for indoor use. They have been holding up very well.
Doug, how do the mse250's compare to the older mse220's. The Stihl info shows the 250 as 2 lbs lighter and does not have the dual dogs of the 220 but has a lot more kw. I would think the older 220 is better built.

Latest posts

Back