Recommendations for small(ish) saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhines

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Since my old 2.0 in^2 Skil is down and parts are seemingly impossible to find, I must get a new small saw. I currently have an 028 AV and an MS361 (which many of you consider small saws anyway...). I am looking for recommendations on saws with 16" or smaller bar setups for use limbing (mostly ground, some air), maneuverability in brush and other tight spots, fence posts, etc. I don't think that I necessarily need the features or price of a true arborist's saw (e.g. MS200T, ps3300t, 338XPT), but would like quality and longevity.

Thanks, Jon

----------
'89 Stihl 028 AV
'04 Stihl MS361

A husky 336 is a saw that might do what you want rather well,
Take a look and see, the other options would be an Echo 345, 340 or something like that, you could spend lots of money buying a Stihl like the 200T too.

336_1016-233_282x120.gif

small saw

Shindaiwa also makes some really nice small saws. The 360 and 377 are great, just a little pricey for their size. Dealer support isnt like husky or stihl, but chances are you will never have to do much of anything if you maintain it. I own a 488 and I believe shindaiwa makes one of if not the highest quality small saw out there. I used a friends echo 3450 awhile back and it was a nice little saw and probably hard to beat for the money.

CS-345 Echo is the best bang for the buck. We sell them to arborist and they just keep on running like the enigizer bunny. Worse thing that happens to them is they bust them up. Later Butch

i think i would aggree the echo 345..
its low cost durable saw..im assuming u dont need a top handle which i view as a climbingx saw..plus thats where echo starts double ringing them..not that i know,, that makes a lot o difference..
looks good tho, in that little cut out at hd tho.:) good luck
by the way id stay 14 inch or less.. u already got some bigger stuff

I know how to alter a 340 and a 345 easily, the handles are the only obvious difference to me, I have a set of top handles if anyone wants them they'll fit a 300 345 340 or the equivalant saw models of earlier years.

Originally posted by oldsaw-addict
A husky 336 is a saw that might do what you want rather well,
Take a look and see, the other options would be an Echo 345, 340 or something like that, you could spend lots of money buying a Stihl like the 200T too.

Oldsaw,

Which of the saws you listed do you own or have you ran ? I would be interested in hearing your observations of teh stengths and weakness of each.

Bill

Back