"Recommended" bar length for MS251

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuggi

Reaction score
New poster here!

Here in Finland most saws seem to come with quite short bars, I have a 35 cm on my MS251 right now, which would be a 14" I guess? Which bar would you guys recommend for general felling in the 1-2 foot range (mostly pine and birch trees) and what chain? I have the PM3 on it right now and it's feels quite good. The sword on the other hand feels a bit on the short side, It's basically the same as what I had on my old 021, and for the bigger saw I would like something a bit longer.

Hi and welcome.
I have a 40cm (16") bar on my 231, which is the 251's smaller sibling. Works very well for small general purpose jobs and your 251 would have zero problems moving it.

As per chains... I usually run an old fashioned Rapid Micro on it. The local Stihl dealer still has a few spools (which they aren't selling whole ;)) in both .325" and .3/8". It cuts really well.
I also have a loop of Oregon BPX for it but I haven't come around trying it yet.

Okay, are all Stihl bars created equal, aka. any bar will fit any saw as long as I get the proper chain and sprocket for the specific bar?

You don't need to change the sprocket unless you want to convert the saw from .325" to 3/8" chain pitch. You'll just need a new longer chain to fit the new bar.
These smaller Stihl's use a 3005 bar fitment. If it's still readable I will give you the code of the 40cm/16" Rollomatic I have tomorrow. It's late and it's pouring down here and I cannot be bothered going to the toolshed right now!

It will handle an 18" bar and chain just fine. You'll probably prefer it if you're into 1-2 foot soft wood like that.
Don't forget that those plastic fantastic Poulan wild thing saws come stock with an 18" bar and chain and they're a couple cc's less than the ms251.

It will handle an 18" bar and chain just fine. You'll probably prefer it if you're into 1-2 foot soft wood like that.
Don't forget that those plastic fantastic Poulan wild thing saws come stock with an 18" bar and chain and they're a couple cc's less than the ms251.
Yes, but the Poulans have 3/8 lo pro with a narrower kerf. My Dad's plastic MS250 came with an 18" bar and 0.325" chain. It certainly had no speed advantages over the Poulans but it worked just fine.

Pm3 as stated in post one is essentially 3/8lp. He did not specify if it has a 6 tooth spur or the 7 tooth rim drive. Here in the USA they come with 0.325 unless swapped out by the selling dealer like I did. I think my 251 balances fine with the 61 or 62 drive link 3/8 lp/picco 63 class or 72 dl narrow kerf 0.325. Not sure what the drive link count is for "18" in a 0.325 stihl 3005 mount bar. Or how that balances.

Latest posts

Back