Red Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, I'm not kidding. I used to hand file and did it for 30 years. I still do on occasion. Each has its place.

You are tight, this is a red elm discussion, not chain sharpening. We have a whole forum available for that.

I think Yooper is quite tight.:msp_smile:

Nope, I'm not kidding. I used to hand file and did it for 30 years. I still do on occasion. Each has its place.

I guess as a person who works with a chain saws as an occupation I found it rather tedious to save chains to file at home and not just do it quickly on the job. for a home owner cutten wood that cant correctly file I would see it fine. I had one of them given to be a couple years ago used it 2 times and gave it to a buddy. didn't like it.

Use Both

ditto to you my friend:msp_smile:
Sorry for the typo. :laugh: (t is right next to r on my keyboard)

Actually, the point can be made both ways. File sharpening onsite is still a skill all chainsaw operators need to have. I hold the saw's engine on my lap, lean the bar over my left shoulder, and file away without even looking at the chain. I wager that few men know how to do that.

However, after doing that for a few times, I take the chain to the shop and use the Oregon 511a to even it all up. Thus I have saved about 30 chains for several more sharpenings that ordinarily I would have thrown to the garbage.

Now, what has all this got to do with red elm?

I think elm would be hard to work with? Awful stringy in the middle.

Well the elm is history, Son came over and we winched the log out of the ditch and went to sawing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The noodle bed.

attachment.php

I left a little stump in case they wanted to push it over.

attachment.php

All that's left of the trunk

attachment.php

Nice looking grain in that stuff. I went to the woodpile today and took a pic of the elm that grows here. I don't know if this is siberian elm or what. We just call it elm. It ain't red for sure.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is what happens when you try to split it. You can't touch it with a maul, you'd have to have something bad wrong with you to even try. The whole center is just twisted strings. It's really good firewood though.:clap::clap:

I would also like to know how you can haul wood in that old truck and keep the dang tailgate so straight.

Every truck I ever had, the tailgate looked like an accordion.:confused:

how come you don't take your hydro splitter to the site and split it before you load it instead of doing all that noodeling it does stand up vertical right where you can roll the rounds over to it and split them.

Latest posts

Back