Red Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was considering a 35 ton huskee but TSC only stocks the 22 tons around here now. They seemed to be a good buy for the money when I had seen one before.

get the 35 ton or bigger if you can manage it ... a short fella like yourself needs all the help he can get :clap:

hope this helps

"Build a deck around it"... :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

By accident, I found a bunch of almost dry red elm today at a wood drop off site. Tough to identify at first, it looked like it was cut early last summer into 6' lengths. The bark was lying along side of it--nice straggly, thick stuff. What also gave it away were the tight annual rings out near the edge when the tree starts slowing down its growth rate. Cottonwood logs the same size were close by, but you could tell them apart easily because of the much coarser annual ring spacing all the way out to the edge.

My "Sherlock Holmes" venture proved correct. When cross cutting the 18" to 22" dia. logs, the wood was still slightly damp in the center, and redness here and there popped out along the grain. I split some the next day and sure enough, red elm it was--nice and dense, and ready for splitting and final drying. No stringiness at all.

Life is beautiful. ;)
Sounds like ya did good, It is certainly some dense wood. The crotches i was noodling were hard as a rock.

I love mine, Glad i got an older model before they cheapened them up. I know they had trouble with the toe bending. Just because they quit using solid steel plate that was inch and a half thick. Never could understand why they did that. Just keep makin em like you used too. You can see my toe plate is solid. It has split or even cut through some nasty sweetgum crotches. Dunno, I just believe if you have a good product, Don't screw it up.

Just an FYI SpeeCo has gone back to the solid steel footplates starting in about 2009. We also beefed them up even more than your model to avoid any potntial bending. Haven't had one bend yet since the design change. Oh, and I enjoyed your thread. nice job on the pics.

Thanks

Kevin@speeco

Just an FYI SpeeCo has gone back to the solid steel footplates starting in about 2009. We also beefed them up even more than your model to avoid any potntial bending. Haven't had one bend yet since the design change. Oh, and I enjoyed your thread. nice job on the pics.

Thanks

Kevin@speeco
good deal, Glad to hear it. Like i said, I love mine, Wouldn't trade it for any in it's price range. I'll be postin some videos of it in action when i start splitting all the wood next week. I haven't found nothing it won't split. Thanks for the compliment.

you two just wait until i hit my growth spurt ..... yep, i reckon you two will be a whole lot more respectful then!

in other news ....

where are you with this red elm, SS? is it all done up yet?

I guess Stihl Sawing was right, you never could compete with Lloyd Braun. :msp_angry:

you two just wait until i hit my growth spurt ..... yep, i reckon you two will be a whole lot more respectful then!

in other news ....

where are you with this red elm, SS? is it all done up yet?
The red elm is all cut up and waiting to be split. Which i will start next week. May even make another mad dog video.

Here's Lloyd.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back