Red Oak log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Goodwrench

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have found very large red oak tree down in timber. It's probably about 40 inches plus and the main trunk is about 18 to 20 foot long. before I cut this up for firewood would it be worth trying to sell for lumber? how much might a log like this bring providing it's not rotten inside? I am located in centrall Illinois.

In this area the market for oak is real bad, I've got a tree that came down in a storm about the same size you discribe. No body wants it and the only guy willing to buy it (a freind of mine) told me I'd be better off having it sawed and using the lumber for myself. He said he wouldnt feal right buying it at the current market price when he knows it would normally be worth double what he can give now. In a couple weeks when I get a couple days off I'm going to load it up and take it to the mill and have it milled into flooring for my house, just cant bring myself to cut it for firewood.

Right now, not much. Timber prices were pretty good a couple years ago but the bottom has fallen out lately. I would say it is worth more to you as firewood than as a saw log at this point.

Saw it into lumber for your own use, by hiring a portable bandsaw mill, it should yield some nice wood and a good quantity for a hobbyist.

Or

Firewood. Take the money and buy a new saw.

Maybe time to make something?

Firewood is firewood, there is always more for the work involved, but good Red Oak logs only come along every-so-often.

My $0.03 cents worth, let it season till you have that project that comes along that needs some Oak.

Here is my Red Oak anvil stand, going strong for some 20 years now and not even showing any real sign of wearing out or aging past cosmetic.

attachment.php

I recently had a similar thread about a cherry log I had. For me I asked a local cabinet maker if he would like to by the log at a great price. I sold the log for $100 which is more than I would have got for firewood, and save the work of cutting and splitting. So I was happy and the guy I sold it to was happy, and the log will be used to make someone else happy, with a beautiful piece of furniture or cabinet. Hope this helps.

TS:cheers:

Shoerfast, what's the saw for? Are three legged horses easier to shoe? Goodwrench, Check to see if the log has wood value. You already know it has firewood in it. Problem is, most mills won't take logs that aren't fresh cut and they want to know if it was in a yard or fencerow....Lanny

Not sure if there is anyone left in this area thats still buying, probably make firewood out of it. Where are you from in central IL?

log

thanks for the ideas guys, may just make firewood out of it. neighbor had his timber logged two years ago told me he got 980.00 from one tree, a red oak. I,m from carlinville, about 45 miles south of springfield.

thanks for the ideas guys, may just make firewood out of it. neighbor had his timber logged two years ago told me he got 980.00 from one tree, a red oak. I,m from carlinville, about 45 miles south of springfield.

Believe me if he did, it's because it was dropped and sold as a veneer log. I promise you nothing thats been been laying on the ground is veneer quality (It would never have been left first off) and since it's been down a while, it's time has passed. It's firewood at this point if it's been laying. :cheers:

I have in the past tried to sell nice logs (Oak) to a mill. The last one they told me on the phone it would be a 300.00 log if it was what I say it was. I got there and they offered me 25 bucks. That was their bait tactic to get me there knowing they were going to low ball me. I had it sawn for my own use by the local Amish. No matter how good a log is you can't deal with a mill with only onesies and twosies. Either keep it for your own lumber or burn it.

Back