Redneck Powerplant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would hook a chain to the truck and anchor it to a tree or stump as a failsafe. Hate to see something stupid happen.

besides anytime you attach a piece of machinery to a tree with chains and such it automatically ups the red neck value. (think hoisting an engine out of a car using the branch of an oak tree.):)

If it is moving a lot faster, (more flow), the heat is probably pressure drop in the lines/valve, now being a bit undersized. If not easy to change, the cooler is the easy way out.

I would be a bit more nervous about the differential spider gears, as they are not really made for continuous high speed action. With one gear stopped, the other is going twice normal rpm and the spides are spinning on the stub shafts. Normally they down't turn at all the whole diff just rotates. Maybe use synthetic gear lube in the front axle?

Those are cool trucks. Several outfits sell the used and refurbs, and they sure look indestructible for the farm or logging world.

neat pics.

Hey blackdiesel, I checked out your pics yesterday and I'm really impressed with your setup. I almost can't wait to see some video on it.
Happy wood cutting.

Hey blackdiesel, I checked out your pics yesterday and I'm really impressed with your setup. I almost can't wait to see some video on it.
Happy wood cutting.

Thanks. I've uploaded videos before but i cant seem to get this one on youtube.

anybody know how to resize a video? :confused:

Hey Blackdiesel,

Great setup with an awesome Deuce! I must take exception to it being a redneck setup. I will agree that the front end resting on a log does put it in the Redneck category..but just barely. :)

First off the truck appears clean, rust-free and all of the glass is intact. Additionally, you were able to get the truck there under it's own power and all of the tires are present including the spare. Finally, you've connected it to the processor with a real PTO shaft. All of these things really lose "Redneck points" and put you on the "low" end of the "Redneck Quotient."

If the Deuce looked like it had rolled at least 4 times in the quarry, had 4 or more colors of paint (including different 2 shades of pink primer), was missing 4 or more tires and/or had one of the axles chained up to the frame, or you had connected the truck to the processor by running an old leather flat belt around a bent up rim mounted to the drive axle to a worn out right angle gear box that you cobbed on to the processor then you would solidly in the "Hard-core Redneck" category.

The consensus of my collegues at work is that you have a mighty sweet truck there and that is probably the strongest indicator of a "low redneck quotient" of your operation.

Again, congrats on a fine looking rig!

Hey Blackdiesel,

Great setup with an awesome Deuce! I must take exception to it being a redneck setup. I will agree that the front end resting on a log does put it in the Redneck category..but just barely. :)

First off the truck appears clean, rust-free and all of the glass is intact. Additionally, you were able to get the truck there under it's own power and all of the tires are present including the spare. Finally, you've connected it to the processor with a real PTO shaft. All of these things really lose "Redneck points" and put you on the "low" end of the "Redneck Quotient."

If the Deuce looked like it had rolled at least 4 times in the quarry, had 4 or more colors of paint (including different 2 shades of pink primer), was missing 4 or more tires and/or had one of the axles chained up to the frame, or you had connected the truck to the processor by running an old leather flat belt around a bent up rim mounted to the drive axle to a worn out right angle gear box that you cobbed on to the processor then you would solidly in the "Hard-core Redneck" category.

The consensus of my collegues at work is that you have a mighty sweet truck there and that is probably the strongest indicator of a "low redneck quotient" of your operation.

Again, congrats on a fine looking rig!

lol thats hilarious :laugh:

blackdisel

any progress with the video?

i'm trying it again (this will make the 3rd time)

i left it up overnight last night and it had only done 38% by morning, and hadnt moved in a few hours so i cancelled it. something is not right (obviously) and i cant figure out what it is. I've uploaded 3 videos to youtube before, but we've gotten a new computer since then so maybe it has something to do with that??

wish I could help but I'm no good at computer stuff. Hope you get it up though I can't wait to see that thing in action.

you can kiss your spider gears goodbye in your front diff too. Those little farts heat up pretty quick. When they do, they'll cause the other tire to spin and start pulling the truck ahead.

you can kiss your spider gears goodbye in your front diff too. Those little farts heat up pretty quick. When they do, they'll cause the other tire to spin and start pulling the truck ahead.

Highly doubt it. we're running 17 miles an hour here people for like 30-40 minutes at a time. she's not going anywhere...

yuppers

If it is moving a lot faster, (more flow), the heat is probably pressure drop in the lines/valve, now being a bit undersized. If not easy to change, the cooler is the easy way out.

I would be a bit more nervous about the differential spider gears, as they are not really made for continuous high speed action. With one gear stopped, the other is going twice normal rpm and the spides are spinning on the stub shafts. Normally they down't turn at all the whole diff just rotates. Maybe use synthetic gear lube in the front axle?

Those are cool trucks. Several outfits sell the used and refurbs, and they sure look indestructible for the farm or logging world.

neat pics.

KJ ,.. my thought exactially, I waz going to post the same thought,...If thoes sun gears get tired of doing sompthing they were ONLY designed to do momentarily all hell could cut loose,...and I wouldent bet my life on it,..Certinally not a loved ones life helping me out,...Dam tho thats a nice setup otherwise and a nice duce, Ill bet it has (or should have) a pto on it, Joe

are you guys serious? even if the spyder gears do let go then it will either a) shell every tooth off of every gear in the axle, which would mean the truck wouldn't move or b) fall to the bottom of the housing, which then would mean the pinion woudn't have any way of getting power to the side gears, which would mean the truck wouldnt move.

Basically what i'm saying is that it wont happen. Theres a 100% chance that it would either shell out the key way on the pump shaft or break a u joint first. Which wouldnt happen because its not under that much of a load.

Even though the shaft is turning at ~700 rpm or whatever, the gears in the axle are 6.72's. which would mean the axle is only turning ~100 rpm. give or take.. or 17 miles per hour. take your pick

diff expertise

are you guys serious? even if the spyder gears do let go then it will either a) shell every tooth off of every gear in the axle, which would mean the truck wouldn't move or b) fall to the bottom of the housing, which then would mean the pinion woudn't have any way of getting power to the side gears, which would mean the truck wouldnt move.

Basically what i'm saying is that it wont happen. Theres a 100% chance that it would either shell out the key way on the pump shaft or break a u joint first. Which wouldnt happen because its not under that much of a load.

Even though the shaft is turning at ~700 rpm or whatever, the gears in the axle are 6.72's. which would mean the axle is only turning ~100 rpm. give or take.. or 17 miles per hour. take your pick

I dont pretend to be a differental expert,...My understanding on the sun gear opperation is thet It could slowley sieze up on the FREE side and start driving the other side,.... Thats been my experince with pulling tractors, over 40 years, I dont see much difference of just lightly hiting a steering brake and the other wheel starts to spin, I am ONLY concerned for your saftey and others cheers,...Eric

I dont pretend to be a differental expert,...My understanding on the sun gear opperation is thet It could slowley sieze up on the FREE side and start driving the other side,.... Thats been my experince with pulling tractors, over 40 years, I dont see much difference of just lightly hiting a steering brake and the other wheel starts to spin, I am ONLY concerned for your saftey and others cheers,...Eric

Tell ya what, if it happens and i live to tell about it, i'll post my experiences from the ER. If not, then i guess dad can fill ya in :taped:

Now you boys think about this, what kind of load is on that hub? now if i was running it off of the hub there would be a load on the gears. but i aint. i'm running it off of a THRU shaft that goes THRU the axle. you could take the spyders out of that axle and it would still operate.

The only thing the ring gear is doing is circulating the oil to lube the bearings.

Now you boys think about this, what kind of load is on that hub? now if i was running it off of the hub there would be a load on the gears. but i aint. i'm running it off of a THRU shaft that goes THRU the axle.

You think about this: You're taking gears that are meant to turn way less than 1% of what the axles turn, but now your turning them at least 200% more than normal. Spiders don't just pop, unless under extreme torque. They do however burn up and seize, causing the other side to spin up.

I guess if I'm wrong big deal. If you're wrong, you tear up your 200 pound center chunk, wreck your pto/splitter and drive your truck over yourself.

Tell ya what, if it happens and i live to tell about it, i'll post my experiences from the ER. If not, then i guess dad can fill ya in :taped:

Now you boys think about this, what kind of load is on that hub? now if i was running it off of the hub there would be a load on the gears. but i aint. i'm running it off of a THRU shaft that goes THRU the axle. you could take the spyders out of that axle and it would still operate.

The only thing the ring gear is doing is circulating the oil to lube the bearings.

They way I see it Is,. IF any of thoes bearings start to seize up, sun gears or axle bearings what ever, The other side starts to drive, Its like hitting a steering brake, Or maybe more common,..is when you get stuck, and one wheel starts to grab, THE OTHER WHEEL starts to spin,,.. Stay safe... Eric

Back