reduced bar life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is it possible that bars ware out quicker when using a modded saw. I my ms260 bar is only 3 months old and the chain is already tipping over and not cutting. It is a stihl bar and I modified the oil holes to match my cannon bars. I angled them so they wouldn't plug after cutting two blocks. Are stihl bars just junk?

Is it possible that bars ware out quicker when using a modded saw. I my ms260 bar is only 3 months old and the chain is already tipping over and not cutting. It is a stihl bar and I modified the oil holes to match my cannon bars. I angled them so they wouldn't plug after cutting two blocks. Are stihl bars just junk?

Three months of what kind of use? Some people can ruin a steel ball with a rubber hammer in less than three months.
I have worn out very good bars in 8 weeks of hard use. But this is an exception, not a very common thing for 99% of users.
The Stihl ES bars are pretty good. Their laminated homeowner bars are pretty much junk and wont last long.

A modded saw won't reduce bar life, unless you're running dull chains and forcing the saw to cut on a dull chain. That usually one bar rail more quickly than the other though, from the force of pushing on the saw.

Back