redwood climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkottemann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey fellas, this is kkottemann from louisiana. this summer I am going to travel to n. califorina to see the redwoods. a few years back I went to yosemite (spelling might be wrong) and sequoia national park for the sequoia's. Undoubtly my most favoriate vacation I have ever been on. It was more like a religious expierience for a forester and climber such as myself. Anyway, I am comming back to see the redwoods, and I would like to climb one or two. can anyone out there help me. I do not want to go alone, I want a guide of sorts, one of you guys out there who does this often. If anyone can help and is interested lets talk.

might want to contact forest service and read the book, "The Wild Trees". My understanding is there is a limited window of time for climbing which is oct to jan? Something about endangered species.

Anyhow, the book was discussed somewhere on this site not too long ago. See http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=53964&highlight=redwood

Last edited:
So the permit season to climb park trees is virtually at an end. Due to nesting birds, etc..

And maybe it's just researchers who can get those.

There is still some forest land with tall redwoods. Even second growth can be very tall.

There may be some very tall sugar pines in the southern Oregon / northern California Red Buttes Wilderness and Rogue River National Forest a couple of hours from the redwoods.

Maybe call a ranger station and see if there are any policies. Likewise for the BLM - Bureau of Land Management - land. And there is a lot of the latter out this way.

But redwoods ...

You might have to make several calls on that species to find climbing grounds.

hey fellas, this is kkottemann from louisiana. this summer I am going to travel to n. califorina to see the redwoods. a few years back I went to yosemite (spelling might be wrong) and sequoia national park for the sequoia's. Undoubtly my most favoriate vacation I have ever been on. It was more like a religious expierience for a forester and climber such as myself. Anyway, I am comming back to see the redwoods, and I would like to climb one or two. can anyone out there help me. I do not want to go alone, I want a guide of sorts, one of you guys out there who does this often. If anyone can help and is interested lets talk.

PM sent.

Awesome. Ninja climb.

And can you just picture the hiker or bushwhacker nearby who wanders off and whispers "Awesome. Ninja Cell phone call" :)

Seems if there is no risk of getting caught, there is no "ninja" element to the event.

If there is a "ninja" element - there has to be some risk.

How much risk do you find handy to boost the excitement?

Last edited:
And can you just picture the hiker or bushwhacker nearby who wanders off and whispers "Awesome. Ninja Cell phone call" :)

Seems if there is no risk of getting caught, there is no "ninja" element to the event.

If there is a "ninja" element - there has to be some risk.

How much risk do you find handy to boost the excitement?

Ninja is anytime you climb without permission. There is low risk of being told to get out of a tree if you are subtle in your climbing and choose your tree wisely. Because for most woods climbs you'll never even see anyone while you're climbing. I don't ninja for the thrill of the risk. I'd much rather have permission and be relaxed about it, put your focus on the climbing where your attention should be.

I've done my share of circling around a trunk to avoid being observed by officers of the law, I've had enough of that. Skulking is no fun.
-moss

Last edited:
Ninja is anytime you climb without permission. There is low risk of being told to get out of a tree if you are subtle in your climbing and choose your tree wisely. Because for most woods climbs you'll never even see anyone while you're climbing. I don't ninja for the thrill of the risk. I'd much rather have permission and be relaxed about it, put your focus on the climbing where your attention should be.

I've done my share of circling around a trunk to avoid being observed by officers of the law, I've had enough of that. Skulking is no fun.
-moss

I should have paid more attention to the Douglas firs and Sugar Pines in Red Buttes Wilderness when I was hiking there, for trees to refer.

I know I passed some hefty trunks, but did not pay much attention to the height.

Odds of meeting anyone are slim. I hiked several times in Red Buttes Wilderness in the past couple of years, and never passed one soul on the trail.

If you want solitude, that's the place to go.

Seems the bigger trunks I passed were on Butte Fork Trail.

I should have paid more attention to the Douglas firs and Sugar Pines in Red Buttes Wilderness when I was hiking there, for trees to refer.

I know I passed some hefty trunks, but did not pay much attention to the height.

Odds of meeting anyone are slim. I hiked several times in Red Buttes Wilderness in the past couple of years, and never passed one soul on the trail.

If you want solitude, that's the place to go.

Seems the bigger trunks I passed were on Butte Fork Trail.

Red Butte sounds good, I like trees with character and great location, height isn't everything. Anytime you get above 60 ft. or so things start getting interesting.

Good luck on your move!
-moss

Red Butte sounds good, I like trees with character and great location, height isn't everything. Anytime you get above 60 ft. or so things start getting interesting.

Good luck on your move!
-moss

Well if you or anyone else happen to go to Red Buttes Wilderness for some tree climbing, there is a ranger station in Medford, or even closer near Applegate Lake which is about 5 miles from a good trailhead - Butte Fork Trail. For maps that is. I think a FREE permit is needed for a campfire in the Wilderness. But probably not for a campstove. And that's if someone plans to spend the night.

About 4 miles up Butte Fork Trail, is this old historic tool shed from about the 1920s. Could be a shelter for the night, or just a feature to camp around in the small clearing. There is a small fire ring.

The Douglas firs in the pic are a lot smaller than several others of the same genus passed. And smaller than some of the big sugar pines along the trail.

There might even be some tall madrone / arbutus, but I think the bark on them is especially fragile.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Here's some more lodging for you.

This is not on the same trail as the old tool shed on Butte Fork Trail, but it is just 3 miles up another road nearby.

Can make a fun overnight if you miss the weekend when the young folk decend on it for the party.

The Old Harlow Cabin along Elliott Creek, just past Joe Bar, California.

attachment.php

Back