Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A call to (remington) arms!

I sat down this morning and meandered thru all these threads, and I thought back to what and who got us underway. Crane posted a thread a while back, titled "Why can't Remingtons get any respect" and some of us picked up on that. Wampum was kind enough to post a sticky thread to crank it up, and now here we are. Only 15 pages into this thread, and it appears our enthusiasm is waning. Now that might answer Crane's original query. We are a bunch of niche collectors, but I still believe Remingtons were ahead of their time. I have other chainsaws, but nothing brings a smile to my face faster than my old Remingtons. If our love for these saws is genuine and shows, there'll surely be converts; so now I'm asking all of us to pick up the Remington/Mall banner and keep this thread alive. Post photos, share information and best of all share stories of your Remington/Mall experiences; and Crane, if you're out there and reading....thanks for getting us motivated. Remingtons will get as much respect as we can generate for them. When asked what vintage saw we collect, let's proudly put Remington/Mall up there as the default answer!

So much for my ramble, but let's get going, and I'll try to curb my enthusiasm!:msp_w00t:

#48520 assembly

So, how do you change them? Just slide in or is there a hidden set screw?

You'll need to knock the old rivets out with a center punch, and remove the old roller nose assembly, then install the new one in reverse order. If your rivets aren't badly damaged, you can reuse them.
A broad head punch will usually do the trick to flatten them back out. Tighten enough to get the play out of the nose.

You'll need to knock the old rivets out with a center punch, and remove the old roller nose assembly, then install the new one in reverse order. If your rivets aren't badly damaged, you can reuse them.
A broad head punch will usually do the trick to flatten them back out. Tighten enough to get the play out of the nose.

What puzzels me is there is a chunk of metal held in with four new rivits between the plates. Why put four rivits in that you have to remove in order to install it??

Maybe this is some kind of display sample.

Guage is fine. Part number matches the assembly number on my two 75A's.

This thing is new, never used. View attachment 189556 So why rivit a chunk of metal in it that has to be removed?

Have you removed your old roller nose yet? If so, you should be able to see how the new one mounts. As for the metal placed between, as I recall the last one I installed had the rivets packaged with the roller nose. Perhaps yours had been temporarily joined to prevent distortion of the assembly prior to use.:confused:

Mall 10 Restoration

I had this for a few years. When I got it I did not try to start it.
I did check the spark,it was good. The compression felt good when
I pulled it over but it seemed a little ruff turning. A few days ago I got it
out to look at restoring it. I went to pull the starter and no go. Took it off
the bench and set on the ground and pulled harder on the starter it started
moving but real ruff. So time to take it apart and see what is wrong in there.
Took the muffler off and the piston looked good.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

From what I can see the piston looks good

attachment.php

Its coming apart pretty easy so far, the clutch is in good shape.
The starter works real good,

attachment.php

Got the carb off and removed the reed block. Its dry and corroding in there.

attachment.php

It all looks real good here.The coil looks like new,must of been replaced not
to long ago.

attachment.php

A lot of dry crud in the bottom of the housing.

attachment.php

The cylinder and piston look good, just need to clean them up a little.

attachment.php

Well got the crank case apart,was not too bad coming apart. Now need to get
the bearings and seals out. Both bearings are dry and rusting up.

attachment.php

Just the right stuff

Thanks for sharing the teardown with us. This is just the kind of things we need to liven this thread up! Hope you'll share some more along the way. Professor Bow Saw.....that has a nice ring to it.!

Remington Super 660

I have one of these mostly complete if someone wants to pay for shipping. Seems to have low compression but have not tried to start it, just pulled it over slow to see if it spins free which it does. Can possibly post a pic later.

Thanks for sharing the teardown with us. This is just the kind of things we need to liven this thread up! Hope you'll share some more along the way. Professor Bow Saw.....that has a nice ring to it.!

Thanks.:msp_biggrin:

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachments/chainsaw/189713d1309934104-mall-10-k-jpg

If you post the size (bore x O.D. x width) and configuration (seal, shield and/or snap ring groove) of those ball bearings I can try to find the equivalent MRC numbers in my engineering book if you would like. I also have a C.R. interchange book.

Carl.

Thanks.
I have a good bearing dealer just a few miles away. They had one seal and bearing
in stock, So I ordered the others, They came in today.

This bearing came out real easy once I remove the round plate on the
other side.
attachment.php

This one took a little more time to drive off.
attachment.php

Now I have the bearings and seals out. So I went and got new ones.
attachment.php

I got the crank case and reed block cleaned up.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Made some gaskets for the crank case and reed block both sides.
attachment.php

Made one for the cylinder base.

attachment.php

Got the crank,piston, cylinder and head all clean and
ready. I will paint the cylinder and head.
Its going to be Cast coat Aluminum.
attachment.php

What puzzels me is there is a chunk of metal held in with four new rivits between the plates. Why put four rivits in that you have to remove in order to install it??

Maybe this is some kind of display sample.

Guage is fine. Part number matches the assembly number on my two 75A's.

I guess I wasn't clear on what you were saying. There should be a keyway piece of metal in the rollernose to fit into the slot of the bar. If the rivets are already there, you will likely just need to snug them down when you put the new roller nose in place. Hope I didn't confuse you, but I was thinking there was a piece of metal of equal size to the roller nose back that you were referring to. Hope this helps.

Made some gaskets for the crank case and reed block both sides.
attachment.php

Made one for the cylinder base.

attachment.php

Got the crank,piston, cylinder and head all clean and
ready. I will paint the cylinder and head.
Its going to be Cast coat Aluminum.
attachment.php

Looks grrrrrreeeeaaat Mr. Bowsaw! How do you clean your parts? They look brand new. I use mild degreaser along with heavy elbow grease and brass brushes....but I can't say that mine look near as nice as yours. What's your secret?

Remington Bantam starter cup.....PHOTO NEEDED

Anybody out there got a Bantam they could share a photo of the starter cup, which I assume is attached to the clutch retainer bolt??

Latest posts

Back