Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOMB, but if you belong on this site, you delve into it and fix it yourself, with our help if neccesary.
Igpoe:cheers:
Hey...I hear ya...I'm just not cut from that same cloth...and I do belong here...Call me crazy...I'd just much rather pay within reason an expert to fix it up and get the benefits from it running and cutting.:msp_wink:

Mighty Mites are awesome little saws. I love to run mine. The good news is, they are very simple to work on. A mighty mite is actually the first saw I ever tore into. You can find parts saws for these very easy and cheap. The bad news is, a oem filter, and the plastic filter cover are very hard to find.

If you decide you want to fix it up, send me a PM. I have the IPL, and Service Manual.

Dustin :chainsaw:
Thanks...what bar and chain do you recommend for this saw?

Hey...I hear ya...I'm just not cut from that same cloth...and I do belong here...Call me crazy...I'd just much rather pay within reason an expert to fix it up and get the benefits from it running and cutting.:msp_wink:

Man, Reg, if I'd known that when you asked about these saws on the firewood section, I'd have told you to walk away from all of em. Those old saws aren't worth the time of a professional shop to rebuild them.

If you just want to cut wood, go check the local dealers and buy a nice used running saw of whatever color works for you.

If you want to fix these old things up, get some tools (pretty basic ones, not much fancy stuff needed for saws), clear off a bench in the corner of the garage, basement, or wherever, and dig in. It's pretty satisfying to take something that hasn't worked in years and make it run again.

It's EXTREMELY satisfying to take something that hasn't worked in years and make it run again.

Fixed that for ya.

To the OP, I sent you an email with the IPL and SM. The SM for these are very very detailed, telling you exactly what size socket is needed to remove which bolt in which order. I would give it a try. Not much to loose, and as Steve said, while they mighty mites are cool saws, it's not worth putting a lot of money into having someone fix it.

Man, Reg, if I'd known that when you asked about these saws on the firewood section, I'd have told you to walk away from all of em. Those old saws aren't worth the time of a professional shop to rebuild them.

If you just want to cut wood, go check the local dealers and buy a nice used running saw of whatever color works for you.

If you want to fix these old things up, get some tools (pretty basic ones, not much fancy stuff needed for saws), clear off a bench in the corner of the garage, basement, or wherever, and dig in. It's pretty satisfying to take something that hasn't worked in years and make it run again.
:msp_crying::waaaht:

can anyone tell me how to get off the fly wheel. (grey center piece in pic)

attachment.php

can anyone tell me how to get off the fly wheel. (grey center piece in pic)

attachment.php

Not trying to be a d##k....but take the nut off first. :msp_biggrin: Then do what driver suggested. Or if your cheap like me, I take a piece of 1/8" steel drill the hole pattern in it, and use the right bolts to pull it off.

Not trying to be a d##k....but take the nut off first. :msp_biggrin: Then do what driver suggested. Or if your cheap like me, I take a piece of 1/8" steel drill the hole pattern in it, and use the right bolts to pull it off.

Wow, I would have never thought i would have had to take the nut off first. lol. I took the picture after i put the nut back on. I got a steering wheel puller, so i will give that a try. Thanks.

Wow, I would have never thought i would have had to take the nut off first. lol. I took the picture after i put the nut back on. I got a steering wheel puller, so i will give that a try. Thanks.

loosen the nut so it's flush with the top of the shaft to keep it from mushrooming . tighten puller down then give the end of puller a tap with hammer. it will pop loose.

Made my own puller out of a piece of plate steel.

attachment.php

Magnets must have hit the wires a few times. Does anyone know how to test it to make sure it is working right? I dont seem to have spark. Or know where i could get replacement parts?

attachment.php

can anyone tell me how to to check the gap on a mall 12a? I know how to do it normally, but you can not see the magnets with this type flywheel.

can anyone tell me how to to check the gap on a mall 12a? I know how to do it normally, but you can not see the magnets with this type flywheel.

I've had several of that style and I don't think you can. Just make shure your crank main bearing on the flywheel side isn't too loose.

I had a C5 Homelite that would kiss the pickup pole when pull starting.

If you need to know,use layers of tape on the in side of the flywheel.
Start with one piece of tape, ad more until it rubs.

The condenser might be the problem why it has no spark.

I worked on a 12A about six years ago.
I don't remember the flywheel being smooth with out fins cast it to it.

Score today

I don't get over here much ... These were rescued for me by a buddy of mine today. Enjoy!

A Super 770G with a bow bar:
GEDC1123_zps802600d4.jpg

A Super 660:
GEDC1133_zps24633edc.jpg

Latest posts

Back