Remington electric start saw? What the..?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McC

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I never new anyone ever built an electric start chainsaw. It's only 34cc. If you can't pull that, how can you cut wood? Remington Mighty Mite Electric Start. Found it on Mike's site. This will be fun to demonstrate.

I accuired a homelite string trimmer for free with an electric start only. No rope. It is the most rediculos thing. The thing runs all its battery out trying to start it. After you use it, straight to the plug. It is also heavy!

I think thats what he's talking about. the ones with a handle you wind up and push a button to release the spring to spin the engine with.

Remington (John Deere) and Mac Electric start.

A John Deere electric start is a part of the "House-O-Saws" collection. It is a Remington in John Deere colors. These saws have electric start only option, no pull rope. A battery pack was worn around your waist and was recharged back at the shop. The saw and the battery pack have a male-female plug, that you plug together when starting. These units were actually not bad "Little" saws.

Also part of HOS are three Mac electric start saws. They were self contained units that actually have a battery pack in the lower handle. The saw has a charging circuit built into the electronics. They also came with the typical pull rope starter. The 5-10E is the same displacement as a MS 440.

My newest "electric" saw is a 1947 Homelite with it's own generator. We had a lot of fun with this saw at the Fairs and Engine shows this year. The saw is a 230 volts, three phase, 180 cycle unit. It cuts very well for being 58 years old.

So many saws, so little time. Larry

scottr said:
Mange , are you talking about the wind up starters like the 1960's B&S lawnmowers ? Scott
No, they have this on the -04, -05 models. It is a spring that is wierd up by the engin, and released when starting.
I have seen a few sold, no problems yet.

We had a push lawn mower with a spring start. You would crank the handle for a while then push the black button. I was too small to use it and the only other thing that I can remember about it is that it was brown.

spring start brown mower

nelly said:
We had a push lawn mower with a spring start. You would crank the handle for a while then push the black button. I was too small to use it and the only other thing that I can remember about it is that it was brown.

At least it was the right color ;)

I don't think you guys are all talking about the same thing. Ther are lawn mowers out there with a starting system that winds a spring as the engine comes to a stop (just like a ton of gas golf carts). The energy stored in the spring is used to start the engine without the operator pulling on the rope. The system can be "charged" by pulling the rope a few times, but pulling the rope in one brisk movement will NOT start the engine. The Stihl "easy to start" system is similar to the Echo system where 1 full pull of the rope winds and releases a second spring that actually turns the engine over, the operator only needs to pull the rope to the end of its travel as slowly or quickly as they care to. I THINK Mange is referring to a system that uses the engine to wind the spring for the next start, I could be wrong though.

tree monkey said:
i have a mac 10-10 with electric start. has a batery pack in the rear handle.

later
never seen 1 10-10 with electric. only 3 and 5-10

sedanman said:
I don't think you guys are all talking about the same thing. Ther are lawn mowers out there with a starting system that winds a spring as the engine comes to a stop (just like a ton of gas golf carts). The energy stored in the spring is used to start the engine without the operator pulling on the rope. The system can be "charged" by pulling the rope a few times, but pulling the rope in one brisk movement will NOT start the engine. The Stihl "easy to start" system is similar to the Echo system where 1 full pull of the rope winds and releases a second spring that actually turns the engine over, the operator only needs to pull the rope to the end of its travel as slowly or quickly as they care to. I THINK Mange is referring to a system that uses the engine to wind the spring for the next start, I could be wrong though.

This is correct, thanks.
It is hard for me to learn all terms at once, but slowly the monkeys learn to roule the world.

I remember seeing a Remington similar to a Bantam with a 12vdc starter and a cord with two alligator clips hanging out. My guess is the idea was to start it off the truck battery. May be OK for a landing saw but not very useful for felling.

Back