Remington PL-6 saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone familar with an old Remington PL-6 saw? My father-in-law has one that is complete and looks great that belonged to his father since new. It hasn't been cranked in 25+ years at least but I plan on getting it running. It has a bow on it now. Were these good saws? Are any parts still around?
I'm concerned about ignition parts (coil and points), carb kit and "dogs" for the recoil starter. I might need some of these to revive this beast.

Anyone familar with an old Remington PL-6 saw? My father-in-law has one that is complete and looks great that belonged to his father since new. It hasn't been cranked in 25+ years at least but I plan on getting it running. It has a bow on it now. Were these good saws? Are any parts still around?
I'm concerned about ignition parts (coil and points), carb kit and "dogs" for the recoil starter. I might need some of these to revive this beast.

Having ran one, there was one in the famely when I was growing up.

There as good as any old iron saw when it comes to how well they were built, and I do remember just sanding and resetting the points a couple times.

No clue what the carb kit number would be, but sure it is around.

Push come to shove, there is a chance that the recoil dogs could be welded up and reworked?

Personally, if I were offered the old PL-6, I would ask respectfully if there were anyone else that wanted it. You definitely have a different opinion.

There good old-iron saws!

I had one that ran pretty well. They are 93cc's plus so they are bigger than a stihl 660. It was one of the loudest saws I have ever heard. Also they pull very hard, not a ton of rpms but unstoppable. They also take the very common rk23hs carb kit for the tillotson in there. Good luck with it:popcorn:

Hey Hoss or Shoerfast, my Remington PL-6 currently has an old original bow on it. Can I buy a bar that will fit it from someone like Bailey's. If so, what type bar does it use (a Husqvarna, Stihl or other mount type)? Or is it none of the above and nearly impossible to find?

Just picked one up for free. I am thinking about rebuilding it completely. However, I have an issue with the flywheel dog's are sheared off.

IMG_20110916_160248.jpg

Does anyone have a starter cup for this saw? The cup I have sheared off all the starter lugs. See above pictures for detail.

Not all Fairbanks Morse starter cups have internal 'teeth'. Homie C5 for example have a smooth cup and they work fine.

Check and make sure you have a fiber washer on each side of the starter dog cross bar and a preload spring. Use no oil on the fiber washers. Make sure it is assembled correctly. The knief edge end should slide out to engage in about a half turn of the pulley.

Latest posts

Back