Report: "New" Honking Big 90cc SOLO 690

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This isn't exactly "new," and not exactly "refurbished" as marketed either, but "newish" and looks used hard for a short time by the dings and scratches on it. Supposedly SOLO checked the compression and set the carb.

It came in a beat-up box smelling of gas and leaking oil -- kinda like an old Harley. Out fell a complete powerhead and new Oregon 24" bar and chain. Nothing else! Not even an operator's manual!

Upon inspection I found that the clutch hub was bent and running out-of-round (how do you bend a clutch hub?) A couple calls to the nice people at SOLO and two postal deliveries later and I am all set up with: a new spark plug, new hub, new 3/8" sprocket, mixing oil, 2 combi-tools and a little carb tuning screwdriver, owner's manual, parts sheet, and a photocopy of the service manual. The tech guy there (Scott) was very helpful and friendly and answered all of my questions.

As other guys said on another thread, the SOLO appears to be a very well-made and engineered unit with time-tested German quality (I like German guns and have a German motorcycle too). The SOLO design is simple and sensible. The Walbro carb is very accessable. The choke is a simple pull-push knob and the kill switch a simple toggle. I pulled the muffler and the bore looks good.

The hub and sprocket are behind the clutch and getting them off looked tricky to me, but the clutch simply unscrews off the engine shaft backwards with a 19mm socket (big arrows: "OFF-->" The orig. sprocket was a .404 so I'm happy they sent me a new 3/8" at my request. Hopefully today I'll get it back together and fire it up for the first time. For $449 I am the happy new owner of honking big saw for milling purposes. Hopefully it will run as good as it looks with its Germanic red and black exterior. I can overlook a few scratches and dings if it runs okay.

Unfortunately, summer is not my cutting/milling season (winter is when I make sawdust). But I'll have to get the lumber maker on it and mill on that jackpine log I was messing with a few weeks ago just to verify that it runs okay before I put it away for the summer.

Question: Should I consider the saw "broken in" as it shows some use, or should I double the oil ratio for a few tanks of gas like the owner manual says? I suppose it wouldn't hurt...eh?

Question: Is there anything radically different about the handling of a bigger saw that I should watch out for? Is this thing going to fly out of my hands and go tearing up the road if I don't hold it like a gorrilla? This job should put out twice the horsepower of my usual saw (Jonsered 2050).

Thanks guys! Great forum! The chainsaw is a great tool! Great fun in the spring woods although the mosquitoes are coming out and the ticks are rampant!

Common mistake for fist time big saw users, DEATH GRIP. It is potentially harmful to you apply a death grip to a vibrating piece of power equipment (white finger syndrome). All of the same rules apply. Just remeber that a 35cc saw is potentially lethal and a 90cc saw is capable of doing the same job faster.

Runs Nice!

Yesterday I put the new parts on this SOLO 690 and fired it up for the first time. I'm glad it has a compression release! It started easily, idled fine, and cranked up to high speed with no problem with enough "roughness" (4-cycling) at the top end so I figure it must be tuned a touch on the rich side.

It does sound like a dirt bike!

It's not scary to run like I thought it might be. Just big and heavy. I wouldn't want to lug it around the woods all day, but it should be perfect for milling. This seems like a top notch saw and I'm glad to have scored this big 90cc job at a bargain price due to SOLO's last place in the U.S. market.

That 24" bar is long and that new chain awfully sharp. Too bad the mosquitoes are coming out in force in supernaturally buggy northern Wisconsin!

What's the best way to store it over the summer? Run the gas out of it or keep it full with Stabil gas? I'd hate to have a gummy carb come autumn, although that rarely has been a problem for me. Maybe gas doesn't go bad in cold winter weather so quickly.

Store it full, a full tank will spoil slower than an empty one. in the fall dump the gas into a car or truck, re-fill the saw fresh gas and have at it.

Originally posted by sedanman
Store it full, a full tank will spoil slower than an empty one. in the fall dump the gas into a car or truck, re-fill the saw fresh gas and have at it.

Thanks for the tip. This is a nice saw and I hope to keep it running for a long time.

I got my hands on a Hammond Surevent solo vrs 690 Its prety throaty but heavy as hell with a 12 inch venting bar its 5 pounds more than my 046 with a 28 inch bar, but i might try a adapter so i dont have to collect husky bars and currently has .404 sprocket which is overkill for my use but its a nice running saw, but hard to find parts.

It's a good thing I didn't know that my 066 was a big saw when I first got it.
I think I would have been a little scared of it if I would have known.

Sound like you got a good deal on a big saw. Now when are you going to do the muffler mod:)

Yesterday I put the new parts on this SOLO 690 and fired it up for the first time. I'm glad it has a compression release! It started easily, idled fine, and cranked up to high speed with no problem with enough "roughness" (4-cycling) at the top end so I figure it must be tuned a touch on the rich side.

It does sound like a dirt bike!

It's not scary to run like I thought it might be. Just big and heavy. I wouldn't want to lug it around the woods all day, but it should be perfect for milling. This seems like a top notch saw and I'm glad to have scored this big 90cc job at a bargain price due to SOLO's last place in the U.S. market.

That 24" bar is long and that new chain awfully sharp. Too bad the mosquitoes are coming out in force in supernaturally buggy northern Wisconsin!

What's the best way to store it over the summer? Run the gas out of it or keep it full with Stabil gas? I'd hate to have a gummy carb come autumn, although that rarely has been a problem for me. Maybe gas doesn't go bad in cold winter weather so quickly.

Do you mean 694? That's the big one and is same as a Dolmar 9010

sounds good, btw I paid $425 with shipping for mine, and I just ordered a adapter for stihl bars and a 3/8 sprocket so i can get felling.

690 makes a fine race saw, where a 694 won't.

Andy

LOL, Andys talking about a 690 that "bites the heels" of his 3120 at every show around here. I think Andy blinked at the last show in cloudcroft and Josh's mighty 690 passed him. I wouldn't work with one but I would D@MB sure race one.

A 694 is one of the finest boat anchors you can buy.

Last edited:
poulan pro 655, need info

hey everyone, i am new to here as you can see, i just got into chainsaws about six months ago, i have a sthil 021, a husky 450, and wanted a big saw so just got ahold of a poulan pro 655, but i know nothing about it, i dont know how many horse it is, or cc's, it has a three foot bar on it i was wondering if i could get away with a 24 inch? any info apprieciated, thanks...

Latest posts

Back