Requesting Wood I.D.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see why you think so, but the bark is far too thick to be Cherry,IMO.

i've seen, and cut, cherry with bark like that,,, i had one from a friends yard a couple months ago that had three different looking types of bark on teh same tree,,, maybe the difference in our locations make the difference? i'd still like to see a pic of it split....

I cut up some Locust in August - the earlier suggestion suddenly rang bells and looks very similar to what I cut.

I split a log:

newlog5.jpg

newlog6.jpg

newlog7.jpg

newlog8.jpg

Split fairly easy.

Last edited:
It's red maple. The bark grows thick, and can fool even us oldtimers because it varies so much from site to site. It can be smooth, shaggy, "oak like", and all kinds of texture in between.
But the curl and the look of the white wood inside leaves no doubt.

i still think it looks like cherry,, especially 2nd & 3rd pics,,, i just picked some up this morning, and split and stacked it,,, take a pic of it split, if you can,,,

I've been cutting cherry for 30 some years and it does look like any cherry i've ever cut. My first guess was hickory or hard maple. I just fell 3 nice cherry's last night, I got 4 nice saw logs and I'll be splitting the tops tonight.

I split the rest of the logs today, and they were no joke. Took some real force with the maul to crack the big ones, had to use 2 wedges on a few. About half of the logs were a real gnarled grain, made it even more difficult. Water was oozing out on each hit. It stacks erratically and inefficiently since it's so gnarled and twisted.

I split the rest of the logs today, and they were no joke. Took some real force with the maul to crack the big ones, had to use 2 wedges on a few. About half of the logs were a real gnarled grain, made it even more difficult. Water was oozing out on each hit. It stacks erratically and inefficiently since it's so gnarled and twisted.

You just described old ugly swamp (red) maple to a "T".

Dude.

It's not Hickory. It's Red Maple. It has worm track, the typical brown rot, CURL, and it oozed water when being split. Red Maple.

PS, the link doesn't have anything, just a google search page?

I agree on Maple looking at the grain and description of how it split and stacked but those first pics had me thinking Chestnut Oak from the bark. Very weird, never seen a Maple with that bark.

Back