Rescue on Spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, so this guy had everything necessary, he just didn't hang onto the correct part of the rope? The (apparent) single wrap around the pole would be enough?

Yep everything was there he was just in a hurry or not paying attention. He wasn't ready for the weight of the dummy to transfer when he cut the pole strap.

Oh, so this guy had everything necessary, he just didn't hang onto the correct part of the rope? The (apparent) single wrap around the pole would be enough?
Yep, one rap around the pole is plenty, as long as you don't cross the load line that is attached to the rescuee.

was he on belay, and his back-up was unprepared?:jawdrop:

no belay and no backup, it has to be as it would be in a real life situation as it would be with a two man crew.

here's a clip of the right way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoU4FTDf_Wo
why not put the lanyard around the pole first than run up. dud looked slow and unstable and could have hurt himself going up. very amateurs spike climber imo. glad he made it. thanx 4 the vid.

why not put the lanyard around the pole first than run up. dud looked slow and unstable and could have hurt himself going up. very amateurs spike climber imo. glad he made it. thanx 4 the vid.
I would assume that linemen are like tree guys, some do it this way and some that way.....I'm not a lineman, I just browsed youtube for a vid that showed someone getting it right for a comparison to the other clip.

high angle rescue

if anyone is truly serious about rescues involving scenarios arborists might find themselves in a high angle rescue class is great. i had to take a high angle class in college that focused on everything from anchor systems to belay escapes to climber pick-offs. everything was rock climbing oriented, but easily translates to any other profession that involves working at heights.

there are great ways to access an incapacitated person at heights and safely lower them, they usually take more to learn than an internet chat room can offer however. there are some great books on the subject and you'd be amazed at what you don't know about rigging once you read some of them.

searches for high angle rescue or tower rescue classes and books are a great start.

Back