Resharpen chain to Milling chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last milling chain's I bought, rakers where to high
and where kinda on the dull side.

I know some of you resharpen cross cutting chain to milling chain.

Let's say chain comes with 30 deg and you change it to 10 deg.

How do you go about it, do you file or grind until you have
10 deg all the way across top plate or do it in steps as chain
needs sharpened?

Thanks
Gary

don't file the ten degrees all the way across the top plate. I would say roughly a third, then next it needs sharpening take it a ways further. You may as well give it one go with the original angle.

I was told once to gradually take it back as you sharpen by another member here. I never did it though, I said the heck with it and ordered one from Baileys and kept the original chain for cross cutting. Are you getting ready to put the new "BEAST" on the mill Gary?:greenchainsaw:

I was told once to gradually take it back as you sharpen by another member here. I never did it though, I said the heck with it and ordered one from Baileys and kept the original chain for cross cutting. Are you getting ready to put the new "BEAST" on the mill Gary?:greenchainsaw:

:) :) :) :)

After it has a few tanks of fuel run in it.

On the chain, Bought Stihl chain for 0.23 a driver
Bailey's ripping is 0.20 a driver plus shipping, thought
I would try the stihl chain.

Picture of new (BEAST) milling saw.
attachment.php

Are you running .375 or .404? I have a loop of .404X.063 square ground filed at 15 degrees 123 drive links (Oregon 59 CJ) if you are interested.

Last edited:
Are you running .375 or .404? I have a loop of .404X.063 square ground filed at 15 degrees 123 drive links (Oregon 59 CJ) if you are interested.

It's .375 now, I changed tip, I have another 41" .404 ES bar
that I got off ebay. Can a person just round grind, square ground?

Gary

sure no problem converting a square grind chain into round... you'll lose a bit material... that's about it..

in fact that's what I recommend for folks wanting to try out square chain, but don't have a square grinder yet...

buy 6 or so loops of square chain... cut until dull... then round file the square chain...

Dang! Dusty, :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is a brand new Chain!.....
I thought it was a used chain that you had resharpened at 15 deg.
I had no idea that they made a cross cutting chain ground at 15 deg, especially sq ground chain.

I have never used any skip or sq. ground chain before, also have never used any .404 chain, This chain has all three. Looking forward to trying it.

I would have thought by the packing job............that it was made of glass. :)

Many Thanks, :cheers:
Gary

Last edited:
You're welcome Gary. LOL, the packing was a little overkill but I wanted to make sure that the chain didnt try and chew its way out of the package between here and there. I hope that it works for you.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back