"Residental Lumber Pines"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My2cents

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Whats the story with local loggers not wanting anything to do with yard trees? I thought any metal in the trees did not grow upwards. So, scrap the first 6 feet, end of problem. am I over simplifying this? Or is there an underlying profit issue?

Well first I would like to say I'm glad to see someone else from NH,second there are a few reasons why we don't particularlly like residential logs,it has alot to do with the metal that gets the logs rejected at the mill or at the very least very low scaled.The metal like you say just cut off the first 6' but alot of the times the metal such as nails are as far up as 20-25' from building tree houses etc..Mostly if you have a good load they can be used for pulp instead of a sawlog..Hope that kinda helps a little.

later Rob..

we sell our residential logs at the mill and get $47 per ton for pine:D

Maybe find the right salvage logger. Small operators. I have seen salvage loggers take trees in N. California. The guy I am thinking of got his yard thinned as desired plus a few hundred bucks - not a money maker for the homeowner.

Additionally, "residential" logs seldom come in significant volume to make it worth a loggers time. I'll take one tree only if I can mill it where it lays, other than that I want a truckload to make the logistics sensible.

Also,I would think big loggers like Rob don't need the reputation of being the guy that brings logs with metal(or worse) I would think the mill is going to give him poor scale on those logs and scale on the low side for future loads to offset what they see as a potential risk of downtime.

My2cents, I got a mailer once from a logger in Jaffrey who would take residential pine, but I think his angle was a "free" removal for the homeowner. Have you talked to some of the mills directly? Ya got a couple right in Brookline. Plus Monadnock Forest products has got a log yard but I think they want more high grade for import, but I could be mistaken about that.

6' end of problem?

Six feet might be the end if it were a fence, up to 25' might be the treehouse and up to 40' would be for the electric wires and antenna for the raido or short wave. The nails stain the wood and anything that hits the blade is down time. Even a small mill with a 54' blade with replacable tips on the saw, $28(SawPaw) for one tip, time to replace tip and how many tips hit the nail or whatever before the blade was stopped? It adds up fast as the blade spins, plus you get the title of being the guy who brings in bad logs which will stick with you for a lifetime as will the downgraded price you will get for all loads after that. Do you really want homeowner logs? I'll pass on them unless I know the trees and the history of the land. Unless you can X-ray them you don't want them either except for pulpwood. Then did one of your employees get hit by the flying piece of nail the blade hit. Homeowner wood comes with many dangers grow into the trees. I have found coilsprings and eye bolts to hold up the swing, the chain used to pull an engine left to grow into the tree, bricks set in the croutch to set the long gone birdhouse on and things like that.

I do a bit of residential logging, not all that much, maybe a few hundred thousand bf in the last 15-20 yrs. I've had to cut out a few problem areas, but have only had a couple problem logs at the sort yards. One was a 36 foot fir log worth over $1000. When I complained and asked the buyer to buck out the metal, he just paid me full value!!!!

Any mill worth its salt should have a metal detector.

I agree with you all on this one,and newfie is definetly right I do not want the reputation of bringing in a load full of metal cause thats exactly what happens you always will get low scaled from then on and thats when you really start to see a logger unhappy when he's losing money,and has to make large payments for equipment that he owns..thats NO fun. I will usually take them as long as there are more than one and I'll bring them to M-R Wood Products here in Derry and they'll put them through they're tub grinder..

Later Rob..

metal detector

Ok now I gotta ask, when you say metal detector, do you mean just a regualr one like you can buy for beach combing or an airport hand wand, or is there a special "log wand" out there that is better to find stuff buried in wood. I did not see any offered on the sites connected to here or on other sites. Just curious and I have a couple logs that came from yards that I do not know what to do with yet. JB

door yard trees

Tramp crap in trees, i could write volumes on it. I have sawed, keys, bolts, rocks, glass, insulaters, you name it. Steel shot in trees--- None is good, less is better. I can have lots of trash filled, timber dropped here. I pay 5$ dollars a ton.
ron

Latest posts

Back