Restoring a Poulan 3400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Video????

Be sure and shoot us some video!
Had to make sure my brother is a prophet!LOL
Is it just me or is the exhaust port square?

Mike

Wish I had taken some pictures of the saw while it was completely apart. This is how it sits as of right now, have not done a compression test yet. It had 120psi to start but has now gotten a tight fitting top end, new rings and I eliminated the stock head gasket. Hoping for better numbers now. Going to end up getting another top cover because of the burn marks on this one. A local shop has a NOS black cover for $10, probably going to go that route. Mine was missing the thumb screw that holds the air cover on, going to have to fashion something up there.

I'll send you a green cover if you want to wait for the mail. Just PM me your address.

Bob

Wish I had taken some pictures of the saw while it was completely apart. This is how it sits as of right now, have not done a compression test yet. It had 120psi to start but has now gotten a tight fitting top end, new rings and I eliminated the stock head gasket. Hoping for better numbers now. Going to end up getting another top cover because of the burn marks on this one. A local shop has a NOS black cover for $10, probably going to go that route. Mine was missing the thumb screw that holds the air cover on, going to have to fashion something up there.

Depends on where you look for them parts at i may have them air filter cover screws

When people work with me on parts i work with them on low prices

Hmmmm. Wonder if its just the camera angle?

Looks to me like its had some work done to it! :cheers:

Johnnie, looks like its coming along nicely. I useally paint one when it's apart, but thats just me.

They were painted mostly assembled from the factory, so your spot on for a correct restoration I guess!

Take Bob up on his offer for the cover, he's a great guy. I don't think I have any top plastic parts myself, I have a bad habit of putting parts saws back together when they probably should have stayed a parts saw. :givebeer:

I have a bad habit of putting parts saws back together when they probably should have stayed a parts saw. :givebeer:

That's because you have C.R.A.P. along with C.A.D.!

Chainsaw
Resurrection
Addiction
Phenomena

I can't blame you though, I have it too.
There's just something about taking a box of parts that most people would throw away and making it into a running working chainsaw that is addictive.

Mike

That's because you have C.R.A.P. along with C.A.D.!

Chainsaw
Resurrection
Addiction
Phenomena

I can't blame you though, I have it too.
There's just something about taking a box of parts that most people would throw away and making it into a running working chainsaw that is addictive.

Mike

Crap, I got to laughing at this and my wife came over to read it.

She laughed and said she always thought I was full of crap anyway. :bang::ices_rofl:

Poulan 245A and Dayton rebuild and paint

Well, got em back together and running great. Haven't really got them into wood yet and tuned but they idle and rev real good. Comp on the 245A is acceptable at 120 but with new rings the Dayton is now at 150 with two tanks run through it. Both still a little rich but will fine tune them at some time. Thanks to RMS61Moparman for the P&C work and to RMS61(Bob) for the new rings for the Dayton. Next project is to assemble my 4000 project saw. Repainted and will probably sell it to recoup some money for my next saw. Already have two so don't need another one.
Bob

Crap, I got to laughing at this and my wife came over to read it.

She laughed and said she always thought I was full of crap anyway. :bang::ices_rofl:

I know it's a fact!
Sheila has told or asked me NUMEROUS times...................

"Get that crap off of my deep freeze"
or
"Are you going to work on that crap tonight"
or
"Honey, Would you please take that crap to the workshop?"

Haven't any of your wives said these things to you?

Mike

Well, got em back together and running great. Haven't really got them into wood yet and tuned but they idle and rev real good. Comp on the 245A is acceptable at 120 but with new rings the Dayton is now at 150 with two tanks run through it. Both still a little rich but will fine tune them at some time. Thanks to RMS61Moparman for the P&C work and to RMS61(Bob) for the new rings for the Dayton. Next project is to assemble my 4000 project saw. Repainted and will probably sell it to recoup some money for my next saw. Already have two so don't need another one.
Bob

OOps. Mean to put tis on the Poulan Thread

Video????

Be sure and shoot us some video!
Had to make sure my brother is a prophet!LOL
Is it just me or is the exhaust port square?

Mike

I have a silver maple that needs to come down, so video will soon follow.

I will have to agree that the exhaust port is square looking, should it be? I am including a couple more pictures of the port.

Looks to me like its had some work done to it! :cheers:

Johnnie, looks like its coming along nicely. I useally paint one when it's apart, but thats just me.

They were painted mostly assembled from the factory, so your spot on for a correct restoration I guess!

Take Bob up on his offer for the cover, he's a great guy. I don't think I have any top plastic parts myself, I have a bad habit of putting parts saws back together when they probably should have stayed a parts saw. :givebeer:

Unfortunately that idea was a after thought to me. Painting it while it was in pieces would have made things a lot easier. I will just shoot it after I am done, like the factory did it. Advance auto sells the sublime green in a quart can but I do not have a spray gun, nor have I ever painted with one. I am going to match something close to original in a rattle can.

I know it's a fact!
Sheila has told or asked me NUMEROUS times...................

"Get that crap off of my deep freeze"
or
"Are you going to work on that crap tonight"
or
"Honey, Would you please take that crap to the workshop?"

Haven't any of your wives said these things to you?

Mike

I have gotten myself in trouble a few times. Left a oil stain on the kitchen table cloth, new rule is no saws in the kitchen. Existing rule would be no saws on the coffee table. What can I say other than Outlaw Josey Wales was on and the carb needed a kit. I should have been praised for multitasking.

I have gotten myself in trouble a few times. Left a oil stain on the kitchen table cloth, new rule is no saws in the kitchen. Existing rule would be no saws on the coffee table. What can I say other than Outlaw Josey Wales was on and the carb needed a kit. I should have been praised for multitasking.

I have two words for you!!!

PIZZA BOX!

They make great blotters to work on.

Mike

Most are oval.
That saw should be a runner!
Are you going to delete the base gasket to tighten the squish???

Mike

I agree. Looks like someone opened up the exhaust port. I've opened up one a little, but wonder if I should enlarge it to look like the one in the picture? Heaven knows I have enough extra ones to experiment on.
Bob

Latest posts

Back