Restoring a Poulan 3400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most are oval.
That saw should be a runner!
Are you going to delete the base gasket to tighten the squish???

Mike

I did in fact eliminate the base gasket. I used the black sealer that Mopar provides for making gaskets instead. The gasket was pretty thin so not sure how much of a difference it will make.

I picked up a spare muffler from the local repair shop. Going to try some muffler mods on my own. I have a 110V wire feed welder as an eraser, for those little mistakes.

I did in fact eliminate the base gasket. I used the black sealer that Mopar provides for making gaskets instead. The gasket was pretty thin so not sure how much of a difference it will make.

I picked up a spare muffler from the local repair shop. Going to try some muffler mods on my own. I have a 110V wire feed welder as an eraser, for those little mistakes.

You'll be surprised at the increase in comp. Bet 10 lbs or so.

I have two words for you!!!

PIZZA BOX!

They make great blotters to work on.

Mike

Forgot about that rule, everything has to have cardboard under it. My work bench was here when I moved in and someone had carpeted the dang thing. My next project if to remove the carpet and lay down a sheet of plywood, if needed. Other than that, it is built very solid from 2x4. The level is a slight be high, may knock the legs off a little also.

Forgot about that rule, everything has to have cardboard under it. My work bench was here when I moved in and someone had carpeted the dang thing. My next project if to remove the carpet and lay down a sheet of plywood, if needed. Other than that, it is built very solid from 2x4. The level is a slight be high, may knock the legs off a little also.

Pizza Box. Great idea and you get to fill yourslf too. I'm going to try it. Thanks

They make great fire starters when you get them soaked with oil.
An oil soaked pizza box and a handfull of noodles and POOF!

Mike

Unfortunately that idea was a after thought to me. Painting it while it was in pieces would have made things a lot easier. I will just shoot it after I am done, like the factory did it. Advance auto sells the sublime green in a quart can but I do not have a spray gun, nor have I ever painted with one. I am going to match something close to original in a rattle can.

Don't do it, I have not found anything close in a rattle can. Besides most of that stuff will run off of it when gas gets on it. At least thats my experiance.

My paint dealer will sell that acrylic enamel in a 1/2 pint quanity, but the hardner and reducer is what drives the cost up.

You may find a body shop that will hook you up with the hardner in a small quanity, wont hurt to ask.

As far as a spray gun thats not a biggie. I use a cheap little cambell hausfield touch up gun. You might try Harbor Freight or something. Should be able to get one for less then $20.

I got a gravity feed from harbor freight for less than $10.00.
Haven't used it because I'm trying to steer clear of restifications if I can.

Mike

Don't do it, I have not found anything close in a rattle can. Besides most of that stuff will run off of it when gas gets on it. At least thats my experiance.

My paint dealer will sell that acrylic enamel in a 1/2 pint quanity, but the hardner and reducer is what drives the cost up.

You may find a body shop that will hook you up with the hardner in a small quanity, wont hurt to ask.

As far as a spray gun thats not a biggie. I use a cheap little cambell hausfield touch up gun. You might try Harbor Freight or something. Should be able to get one for less then $20.

If all else fails I do have a air brush set-up. May take a while but I have several jars so I can swap them out pretty quickly. I was looking for a close color in the high temp engine paint. I used it on a 4.0L Jeep engine that I completely rebuilt four years ago and it is still holding up nice. The closest thing I have found is more of a neon lime green, called Grabber Green.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...reen-Duplicolor_7140041-P_N3267_T|GRP2050____

If all else fails I do have a air brush set-up. May take a while but I have several jars so I can swap them out pretty quickly. I was looking for a close color in the high temp engine paint. I used it on a 4.0L Jeep engine that I completely rebuilt four years ago and it is still holding up nice. The closest thing I have found is more of a neon lime green, called Grabber Green.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...reen-Duplicolor_7140041-P_N3267_T|GRP2050____

Well, I hear you, that might be good paint, I dunno. The colors on those never seem to match the cap and who knows it might be close.

But then again, it might not be close either.........

I agree with Modifiedmark. If you don't have the correct color leave it alone. 1970 Dodge Sublime is pretty dang close. However smallest quantity I've seen is a quart. Once you add the hardner and reducer your up to $60.
Bob

Latest posts

Back