Restoring an old Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi folks
I am a tinkerer. I like to pull things apart and fix things. Hell, I have made a career out of fixing stuff in the mining industry.
I have rebuilt the working saws I have and have them running like champions.

I now need a new, longer term project thats not going to cost me an arm and a leg to get started.

I am looking at a Stihl 051.
$_20.JPG
$_21.JPG

$_22.JPG

It has no top cover and thus name plate, and seems to be missing an exhaust baffle down near the bottom of the handle but is in better condition than some for sale with broken and cracked frames etc.

What I am interested to know before I buy it, is how hard is it to source the missing bits?

I plan a full sand blast, re-spray, ground up, make it like new rebuild, and keep it to run now and then for fun, similar to me using WW2 military rifles in service rifle competition. I love to live the experience of the generations before me to know what they used to get stuff done.

If I do it I will fit a big Stihl 404 bar

Now...... where can I get parts for these old diggers?

Hi folks
I am a tinkerer. I like to pull things apart and fix things. Hell, I have made a career out of fixing stuff in the mining industry.
I have rebuilt the working saws I have and have them running like champions.

I now need a new, longer term project thats not going to cost me an arm and a leg to get started.

I am looking at a Stihl 051.
View attachment 468237
View attachment 468238

View attachment 468239

It has no top cover and thus name plate, and seems to be missing an exhaust baffle down near the bottom of the handle but is in better condition than some for sale with broken and cracked frames etc.

What I am interested to know before I buy it, is how hard is it to source the missing bits?

I plan a full sand blast, re-spray, ground up, make it like new rebuild, and keep it to run now and then for fun, similar to me using WW2 military rifles in service rifle competition. I love to live the experience of the generations before me to know what they used to get stuff done.

If I do it I will fit a big Stihl 404 bar

Now...... where can I get parts for these old diggers?

It looks like there is an oiler button/plunger on top of the case, is that correct? If that's true I believe that may mean you have an 075/076 and not an 051.

One of the main problems with the series is the oiler gaskets go bad and leak in the case and the threads get stripped on the bottom frame.

Back